Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 8/23/09 Reds vs Pirates

Re: 8/23/09 Reds vs Pirates

I think I pulled something myself. I'm going on the fDL

2. Turn Off Ads?

And, let's all remember WHY the Reds are getting hit with all these injuries and illnesses.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    And, let's all remember WHY the Reds are getting hit with all these injuries and illnesses.

Does this guy pitch?! We could really use him to start later this week. :
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

In the 5th, Stubbs gets a ground rule double, Janish grounds out, and Votto singles with Stubbs scoring from 2nd. Then BPhil flys out to center and Rolen goes down swinging.

In the Bucs half, McCutcheon walks, steals second, and scores on Delwyn Young's single. Then Jones grounds into a DP and Milledge pops out to center.

After 5 complete, Reds 3 - Bucs 1

Homer at 93 pitches.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

After 6, Reds still up 3-1.

Homer at 105 pitches, 62 strikes. Hopefully teh Dusty will not send hiom out there in the 7th.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

We start the 6th with a Nix fly out, Gomes single, and Hanigan walk. Dusty leaves Homer in to bunt the runners over which he does handily. Stubbs comes up with runners at 2nd and 3rd and 2 outs. He starts off with a called strike and then fouls off four pitches and takes a ball before flying out to center leaving the runners stranded.

For the Bucs half, Doumit works the count full to put Homer into the 100+ pitch range and Homer pounds the strike zone with a 95mph fastball followed by a 97mph heater which Doumit grounds out on. Moss grounds out to short and Homer strikes out Vasquez on 4 pitches. After 100 pitches Homers still hitting 95+.

After 6 - Reds 3 - Pirates 1

Homer at 105 pitches...I hope he's done.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

Bailey back out to start the 7th with 105 pitches....Dusty, Dusty, Dusty......
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

The Mets just hit into a triple play to end the game. Brumlet made it...unassisted.....with runner on 1st and 2nd and no outs (duh!) Line drive right at him and he stepped on 2nd and tagged the runner from 1st.

Yikes! Dusty leaves Homer in for the 7th...he does seem to be pitching well though.

Why is Homer still in?

I am sick of hearing the Reds media talking about "teaching young pitchers to learn how to go deep into games". How is that working for you?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Line Drive from McCutcheon catches Gomes in Right

We go to the eighth.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Homer still throwing in the upper 90s.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Nice nine pitch inning for Bailey. At 114 pitches, he should be done for sure. Homer did look good today, after the first couple innings where he ran up his pitch count.

The problem with the high pitch counts is not really in the game where they are high, it is the wear and tear for the rest of the year. The Reds can ill afford losing another pitcher at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Homer still throwing in the upper 90s.
    According to Gameday, pitches 111, 112, and 113 were 97mph cheese...pitch number 114? 98! I know the Gameday gun is usually a bit high, but his last pitch was possibly the fastest pitch he's thrown all night.

I actually did't mind Bailey being left in here. For once he actually looks relaxed out there. He's been throwing strikes the last few innings and working quickly compared to usual. If he gets in trouble or up north of 115-120, I definitely pull him -- but let him pitch while's he pitching well and doesn't look tired.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?