Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 8.27.09 Reds at Brewers- Day baseball!

Re: 8.27.09 Reds at Brewers- Day baseball!

Janish is acquitting himself well.

Many hate this phrase, but I'll use it anyway -- he's a ballplayer. He's got some intensity to him, too.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    He didn't hit much at all in the high minors. I believe he projected as nothing more than a backup.
    I thought his offensive numbers recovered from miserable to awful in the high minors. In the early going he couldn't hit anything and Princeton kept trying to make him a pitcher.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Wow, I go off to work a little bit and the offense is totally awake this afternoon! What happened?!

Go Reds!!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Janish is acquitting himself well.

Many hate this phrase, but I'll use it anyway -- he's a ballplayer. He's got some intensity to him, too.
    Perhaps he looks different today....but intensity seems to be one thing that Janish doesn't have. He usually looks defeated up there swinging the bat.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed View Post
    being lazy, what did he project in the minors? I always remember him as a great glove, maybe bat, is that right?
    I did some quick research and couldn't find anyone with those type of numbers in the minors who then had a decent offensive career in the majors. But it was very quick and there easily could be someone out there. But it would be very rare.

Put it this way, even Bartlett in Tampa had an OPS 50 points higher in the minors.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I thought his offensive numbers recovered from miserable to awful in the high minors. In the early going he couldn't hit anything and Princeton kept trying to make him a pitcher.
    His best year in AAA was 2008 with this line: .252/.324/.387

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Nevermind, I misremembered. His numbers went from okay to miserable as he progressed.

He had an .830 OPS in A Ball but it had fallen to .666 in AAA Lville.

NM

To me, this offense is not that bad with everyone healthy and hitting like they're capable. Next season, I still maintain they will be OK. I'd like to see an upgrade at short (be it moving BP over, J.J. Hardy, or whoever), but Janish has acquitted himself well recently.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I did some quick research and couldn't find anyone with those type of numbers in the minors who then had a decent offensive career in the majors. But it was very quick and there easily could be someone out there. But it would be very rare.

Put it this way, even Bartlett in Tampa had an OPS 50 points higher in the minors.
    Eh, I could live with that if we had decent hitting CF and some combo of Bruce, Gomes, Balentin and Dickerson playing based on matchups

Another 1-2-3 inning for Lehr, through the heart of the order no less.

Braun - 3
    Fielder - 9
    McGehee 6

Reds 6-4 after 5

And Gomes keeps the Reds' hit parade alive
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    To me, this offense is not that bad with everyone healthy and hitting like they're capable. Next season, I still maintain they will be OK. I'd like to see an upgrade at short (be it moving BP over, J.J. Hardy, or whoever), but Janish has acquitted himself well recently.

His hot streak has netted him a .614 ops for the month of August, including today.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Lehr is at 83 pitches through 5.

Gomes singles, Tatum flies to center

1 one, 1 out

Turn Off Ads?