Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 8/28/09 Reds vs Dodgers

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: 8/28/09 Reds vs Dodgers

Ump blew the call...

Here's a thread from an officiating message board,

http://forum.officiating.com/basebal...strikeout.html
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?

Bad thing about tomorrow is the Reds most likely will be in the pen again pretty early as Maloney gets the start. No rest for the wicked.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I don't think that was a save situation for Cordero. He pitched only .2 inning, and the tying run was not on base, at bat, or on deck when he entered the game.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    Cordero has thrown 57 pitches in 1.2 innings over the past 2 days.

Make that 83 pitches now over the last 4 days. I hope Maloney and the offense allow him him to take tomorrow off.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Great Gomes interview at the end: "We're going to run nine guys who want to win out there every night and then we'll see what happens."
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I'm just glad the pen didn't screw up the win for Homer and the Reds.
    Yeah, like they did for Bronson the other night.

The announcers (not just Chris and George, but the radio guys too) are always raving about how good Cordero is. As most already know, I'm not so sure I agree with that. Yeah, maybe he gets the job done more often than not, but it's very seldom pretty. He doesn't just go out there and put the other team away very often. And to me, that's what a good closer does.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

It's hard not to like what Gomes has done this year.

Final Cincinnati 4, LA Dodgers 2

Scoring Summary
    Bot 2nd: Cincinnati
    - J. Gomes singled to shallow left, W. Balentien scored

Bot 3rd: Cincinnati
    - D. Stubbs singled to shallow center, C. Miller scored
    - J. Votto doubled to center, D. Stubbs scored

Bot 6th: Cincinnati
    - J. Gomes homered to deep right

Top 9th: LA Dodgers
    - J. Loney homered to deep right
    - A Ethier struck out swinging, A Ethier safe at first on wild pitch, M Loretta scored, R Furcal to third, M Kemp to second

LA Dodgers Batting
    HR - J Loney (9, 9th inning off N Masset 0 on, 0 Out).

RBI - J Loney (75).

Runners left in scoring position, 2 out - M Ramirez 3, C Blake 2.

Team LOB - 11.

Base Running
    SB - M Kemp (28, 2nd base off H Bailey/C Miller).

Cincinnati Batting
    2B - J Votto (20, C Billingsley); W Balentien (3, C Billingsley).

HR - J Gomes (16, 6th inning off C Billingsley 0 on, 0 Out).

S - H Bailey.

RBI - D Stubbs (3), J Votto (65), J Gomes 2 (40).

2-out RBI - J Votto, J Gomes.

Runners left in scoring position, 2 out - P Janish 2, S Rolen 1, W Balentien 2.

Team LOB - 10.

Base Running
    SB - D Stubbs (1, 2nd base off C Billingsley/R Martin).

CS - B Phillips (9, 2nd base by J McDonald/R Martin), J Gomes (1, 2nd base by C Billingsley/R Martin).

Pitching
    Code:
    IP H R ER BB K HR WHIP Season ERA  
    C. Billingsley  5.0 7 4 4 4 1 1 1.29 3.83   (L, 12-8)
    R. Belisario    1.0 1 0 0 0 2 0 1.15 2.26   
    J. McDonald     1.0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1.45 4.11   
    G. Mota         1.0 2 0 0 1 2 0 1.18 3.39 

IP H R ER BB K HR WHIP Season ERA  
    H. Bailey       8.0 7 0 0 1 7 0 1.51 6.04   (W, 4-4)
    N. Masset       0.1 1 1 1 0 0 1 1.07 2.84   
    F. Cordero      0.2 2 1 1 1 2 0 1.30 2.24
    WP - C Billingsley 2.

Pitches-strikes - C Billingsley 101-54; R Belisario 12-11; J McDonald 15-8; G Mota 26-12; H Bailey 115-74; N Masset 5-3; F Cordero 29-19.

Ground balls-fly balls - C Billingsley 6-7; R Belisario 1-1; J McDonald 1-1; G Mota 0-1; H Bailey 10-5; N Masset 0-2; F Cordero 2-0.

Batters faced - C Billingsley 25; R Belisario 4; J McDonald 3; G Mota 6; H Bailey 32; N Masset 2; F Cordero 6.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post

The announcers (not just Chris and George, but the radio guys too) are always raving about how good Cordero is. As most already know, I'm not so sure I agree with that. Yeah, maybe he gets the job done more often than not, but it's very seldom pretty. He doesn't just go out there and put the other team away very often. And to me, that's what a good closer does.
    Yeah, I'd say he's a little overrated but Kc61 might feel the need to defend him.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post

I agree. Maybe it's from being spoiled by the Nasty Boys, but even when the Reds bullpen was good in the Graves, White, Williamson and Sullivan years, they didn't have a lights-out closer. They had closers with great numbers who struggled through one inning at a time.

I think Dusty overmanaged but there's nobody else on the team I want facing Manny at the end than Coco.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

At least the RZ "gathering" got to enjoy a win!
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Make that 83 pitches now over the last 4 days. I hope Maloney and the offense allow him him to take tomorrow off.
    I say let him get to 100 then take him out.

One of the finer wins of the year right there.

Bailey settling in. He needed to be left in the rotation. Now you can see him gaining confidence.

Great play by Janish in the 9th. Gomes is a beast right now, and no one messes with the Corkscrew.

Love the quote from Gomes....

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds are lucky to have such good relievers. You need to watch other teams whose relievers blow game after game.
    I'm sure it happens, but to shut out a team like we did Milwaukee earlier and the dodgers tonight and then have the bullpen just allow hit and walk after hit and walk is frustrating. Regardless, Codero rarely throws strikes and smart hitters lay off his non-strikes and wait for him to come in with it. It sometimes results in disaster, but not tonight. Close but no cigar.

My comment was mainly aimed at Dusty. He'd bring Codero in every game if it becomes a save situation. Just like having to play Patterson, Taveras, or say Freel because they are on the team (he just can't help it--like a kid with a toy), he uses Francisco the same way. And after three straight days, codero wasn't sharp, as might be expected, but Dusty goes to the well again. And he'll do it tomorrow if the same situation comes up. Drives me nuts.

Good start, second in a row by Homer (very good news), nice timely hitting and a win. Going for six tomorrow and who would have believed it with Harang, and so many others out? And going against many in RedsZone, I think the presence of Scott Rolen has a lot to do with it. We now have some potential punch in the middle of the lineup and a crack fielder at the hot corner. Mighty fine.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Turn Off Ads?