Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 8/28/09 Reds vs Dodgers

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: 8/28/09 Reds vs Dodgers

Wow. 98 MPH in the 8th inning. Remember all the complaining about Homer's lack of velocity last year and earlier this year? I think he's put THAT complaint to bed.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    23 out of 33 last year, pretty much the same.
    yeah, i know...yet, in '07 he was at 80%. what happened to his sticks

Well if Drew keeps taking stuff.....you know Dusty will make him swing more early and often.... which will not help and will bring the wrath of redszone upon him.

These 2 announcers for lA on Channel 9 are really annoying...just to let all those people not in CA know.

Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but ESPN shows Maloney starting tomorrow. I haven't seen any roster moves. I'm guessing he comes up for one start then back to Bats.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/schedule?team=cin

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I'll give you '08 cuz he was injured but that still leaves '06/'07. His OPS+ over that time period is skewed from the really good seasons. Could he have a legit .850+ OPS next year? Sure he can but it's not a lock. We'll have a bunch of outfielder options next year (even if Taveras is gone) so it should be interesting how the outfield sorts itself out.
    Well, if we agree on the one injured seasons, that means he's had two really good seasons and two that were only slightly above average. If we were talking about two really good seasons in a sample of 6-8 years, I would 100% completely take this with a grain of salt. But this is 50% of his healthy years he's had really good production. To me, if nothing else, while it does not prove his talent level is what we're witnessing, it also does not disprove it, either.

Looking at his 2006 numbers, which were 30 OPS points lower than 2007, he really had the same peripherals. Despite posting a league-average LD%, his BABIP was an unlucky .256 - which shaved some 20 points off his BA, OBP, SLG (and by association), 40 points off his OPS.

So even in 2006, it could be argued that he should have been at a 780-800 OPS if not for a little bit of rough luck.

I don't often go this strongly to bat for a player like him. But he's someone I really identify as being legit.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Homer's first walk of the game. I think that'll do it.

Masset's last time seeing Manny...GS on first pitch.
    Maybe Dusty remembers that...he leaves Homer in for Manny.

Not sure I agree with this, but hopefully Dusty's right.

whoopi's up:

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Sorry if this is posted elsewhere, but ESPN shows Maloney starting tomorrow. I haven't seen any roster moves. I'm guessing he comes up for one start then back to Bats.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/schedule?team=cin
    What happened to Owings?

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Bailey smokes Manny inside on the first pitch. He manages to foul it off. Nice start.

Linedrive out to Stubbs. *whew*

Dusty leaves Bailey in to face Manny. If the game was three zip, I think Homer goes out but Manny can't tie it, even with a long ball.

Manny lines to Stubbs. Two down. C'mon Homer. Probably his last batter of the game coming up.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Second pitch, smokes him inside. Manny flies out to short center.

Impressive. Never underestimate the power of Schultzian advice. Now pound some Budweisers.

I love the aggressive nature he's showing tonight. He's just coming RIGHT AT guys.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    What happened to Owings?
    They put him in the bullpen. Wells is starting another game so they need a long guy out there.

I'm REALLY impressed with Homer tonight. Wow.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    ... I don't often go this strongly to bat for a player like him. But he's someone I really identify as being legit.
    Hey, I don't have a problem with bringing him back. I'm just saying with that many possible outfield options next season...

If he is back I'd love it if he saw some time at 1st in spring training so we have a better backup there.

Turn Off Ads?