Turn Off Ads?
Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17576364656667
Results 991 to 1,001 of 1001

Thread: What was the most recent movie I've watched?

Re: What was the most recent movie I've watched?

The spousal unit and I saw Toy Story 3.

Pixar hits another home run. Big thumbs-up from Roy.

Funny and clever and witty as all get-out, great animation, great plot, sweet, touching, and as humane as a movie there is out now. Roy had to break out the tissues.

The intro cartoon Night and Day is very good as well.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Yup -- you get one F-Bomb from the MPAA Ratings Board before a move slips from PG-13 to R, and I remember reading at one point that it has to be used as a true expletive (as in "What the eff!" or "Get out of the effing way") and NOT as a description of an act, or it bumps up to R as well. It's a trade off most filmmakers are forced to make when faced with the prospect of a box-office killing "R" rating (that shuts out the tween / teen crowd).

If you want an interesting discussion of the how MPAA Ratings Board actually operates, definitely check out "This Film is Not Yet Rated" (it's available on Netflix instant).
    Interesting that you mention that. I was at my sister's last night and we were watching Superhero which is a spoof on Spiderman and a bunch of other superhero flicks. It was my sister and her husband and their 14 year old son with my mother and I. My sister's 17 year old son was downstairs watching She's Out of My League with his youth group. My 12 year old niece and her friend were spying on them and they kept coming upstairs and telling us they were watching a movie with a lot of F bombs in it. Superhero was a typical PG 13 movie with the usual stuff but close tot he end, one of the characters dropped an F bomb right when my niece and her friend were upstairs. That was the only one in the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    The Road is an American classic. It sums up the responsibility of being a father to a son. If you don't understand this book, you need to reread it and learn what wisdom Cormac is sharing. It is tough wisdom, but it is deeply steeped in Judeo-Christian ethics. The book is all you need for fathers and sons, but it specifically deals with the relationship with the father and a son.
    Especially when it comes to avoiding cannibals.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Yup -- you get one F-Bomb from the MPAA Ratings Board before a move slips from PG-13 to R, and I remember reading at one point that it has to be used as a true expletive (as in "What the eff!" or "Get out of the effing way") and NOT as a description of an act, or it bumps up to R as well. It's a trade off most filmmakers are forced to make when faced with the prospect of a box-office killing "R" rating (that shuts out the tween / teen crowd).

If you want an interesting discussion of the how MPAA Ratings Board actually operates, definitely check out "This Film is Not Yet Rated" (it's available on Netflix instant).
    I just don't get the obligation to throw 1 out there. My wife cringes anytime she hears it, and unfortunately, impact who she recommends it to. It's like they are trying to gain some street cred by dropping it....and I think they'd be better off staying with the overall language tone.

It bothered me/ struck me as odd... hearing it in that movie.

Conversely, just watched Pulp Fiction a couple of weeks ago....not a problem at all with 67 F-Bombs (that may be a conservative number)
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Toy Story 3 - I was wary of a sequel, but Pixar continues to get it done. Very good family movie.

Avatar - Maybe it was all the hype, but I was disappointed with Avatar. It was pretty to look at, but for a nearly 3-hour film, there was very little character development. I thought the story was predictable, and the acting was average at best. I was never drawn into the story. I also thought the swearing seemed forced, and the Rambo ending seemed out of place. However, I'm probably the only one that didn't like it based on its box office take.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post

Avatar - Maybe it was all the hype, but I was disappointed with Avatar. It was pretty to look at, but for a nearly 3-hour film, there was very little character development. I thought the story was predictable, and the acting was average at best. I was never drawn into the story. I also thought the swearing seemed forced, and the Rambo ending seemed out of place. However, I'm probably the only one that didn't like it based on its box office take.
    Avatar was more spectacle than story. The characters and plot were just there to serve the special effects.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Especially when it comes to avoiding cannibals.
    lol. I learned from 'The Book of Eli' that shaky hands is a way to spot a cannibal.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

City Hall with Al Pacino and John Cusack

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    lol. I learned from 'The Book of Eli' that shaky hands is a way to spot a cannibal.
    I had "The Book of Eli" at the top of my netflix queue, but after "The Road," I decided to give post-apocolyptic movies a rest for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    The Road is an American classic. It sums up the responsibility of being a father to a son. If you don't understand this book, you need to reread it and learn what wisdom Cormac is sharing. It is tough wisdom, but it is deeply steeped in Judeo-Christian ethics. The book is all you need for fathers and sons, but it specifically deals with the relationship with the father and a son.
    Eh, I actually think the mother had the right idea, but that kind of discussion would be Peanut Gallery worthy in a hurry so I won't go into it.

Anyway, there was a time when depressing fare like The Road was more interesting to me, now not so much (not so coincidentally really since I had children). Sometimes it's necessary, other times it's just wallowing in misery and I don't really see the point in experiencing the latter, especially when there's enough actual heartbreak and struggle in life. There must be conflict of some sort in every book or movie of course, but I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess. Worthy meditations on fatherhood or not.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Watched 'Last House On the left' last night. I want one dollar back from HBO this month.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?