Turn Off Ads?
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516

Thread: 9/7/09 - Reds vs. Rockies

Re: 9/7/09 - Reds vs. Rockies

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Everyone seems to be in a bad mood today. No tolerance here. Everything was Ok today and anyone who mentioned something they didn't see the same way was jumped on. That hasn't happened for a long time in game threads, but this one was the exception.
    Maybe it was because it seemed to be a game that they should have won.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Everyone seems to be in a bad mood today. No tolerance here. Everything was Ok today and anyone who mentioned something they didn't see the same way was jumped on. That hasn't happened for a long time in game threads, but this one was the exception.
    Agreed. The ball just didn't bounce our way today and I guess we were just starting to get used to it doing so.

As for the poor attitude in the game thread, I'm blaming that on the conspicuous absence of Heather from the game thread. Yep, it's all her fault.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    You think it was a bad move to bring in Rhodes? He's been rock solid all season. It's certainly not Dusty's fault that he failed to get the job done. Same goes for Fisher.

As for the lineup...I actually liked the lineup today. I know many here don't like Paul's bat in the 2 hole, but for the past month or so he's been swinging a solid bat and getting the job done. And it's not the lineups that are the reason this club has scored so few runs this season. It's the hitters not producing. You can re-arrange .220 hitters all you want, they're still .220 hitters. I know you guys want high OBP guys at the top of the order...but here's the problem...Dusty doesn't have any of those to work with. If you want to point a finger...try pointing it at Walt if you ask me. But with the injuries we've been dealt...I don't know of ANY Gm who could've fixed it all.

I had to run a couple errands and missed a couple innings, but I saw Dusty's small ball tendancies cost the team three outs today. Stubbs and Rolen caught stealing and Stubbs useless bunt attempt.

This team doesn't get enough guys on base to be giving outs away. I don't think SBs are worth the risk unless there is a real high percentage guy. The problem with the running game is that there are maybe 5 guys in the majors who can really do it successfully and all the other wannabes are just hurting their teams.

As for the bunt, the bunt was a play that was invented to get something productive out of a hitter who is nearly an automatic out anyway. Its not a play to be employed by the top of the order and its not a play that the team's hottest hitter should be doing. If stubbs was successful, the Reds would have been up there with 2 outs and one of the weakest hitters in the game coming up to try to drive in the run. Stubbs popped it up and it looked bad, but even if it had worked it was still a bad play. And the idea of designing a line-up with a weak hitter in the 2 hole just so he can bunt if the occassion presents itself is insanity. Bunch the good hitters together and let them hit.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I had to run a couple errands and missed a couple innings, but I saw Dusty's small ball tendancies cost the team three outs today. Stubbs and Rolen caught stealing and Stubbs useless bunt attempt.

This team doesn't get enough guys on base to be giving outs away. I don't think SBs are worth the risk unless there is a real high percentage guy. The problem with the running game is that there are maybe 5 guys in the majors who can really do it successfully and all the other wannabes are just hurting their teams.

As for the bunt, the bunt was a play that was invented to get something productive out of a hitter who is nearly an automatic out anyway. Its not a play to be employed by the top of the order and its not a play that the team's hottest hitter should be doing. If stubbs was successful, the Reds would have been up there with 2 outs and one of the weakest hitters in the game coming up to try to drive in the run. Stubbs popped it up and it looked bad, but even if it had worked it was still a bad play. And the idea of designing a line-up with a weak hitter in the 2 hole just so he can bunt if the occassion presents itself is insanity. Bunch the good hitters together and let them hit.

I agree with you overall. But 2 things...we don't know for sure if the Stubbs steal was called for by the bench AND we don't know if the bunt by Stubbs was called for by the bench. I don't personally think EITHER of them were. The Rolen backhalf of the double steal...yep, bad move. I know he was trying to get out of the double play situation, but Rolen simply doesn't have the wheels for it.

I agree with you overall. But 2 things...we don't know for sure if the Stubbs steal was called for by the bench AND we don't know if the bunt by Stubbs was called for by the bench. I don't personally think EITHER of them were. The Rolen backhalf of the double steal...yep, bad move. I know he was trying to get out of the double play situation, but Rolen simply doesn't have the wheels for it.
    Maybe your right. Stubbs made two outs on the bases yesterday as well (a caught stealing and thrown out at home). I tend to think Dusty has his speedy new toy and is trying to use it.

Dusty isn't alone. A lot of Managers run too much and bunt too much because they want to feel like they are doing something IMO. Sitting back and waiting for the hitters to hit is probably a hard thing to do, but in many cases its probably the highest percentage option.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

All I can say is that I'm probably going to have to go on the IR list after pulling a back muscle coming up off the bed after Baker called for the dbl steal in the 9th. My Gawd! With Rolen on 1B??

Way to run yourself out of the inning and game Baker.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Well, they certainly didn't have the RUN sign on for Taveras most of the season. So I don't know about Dusty wanting to run his new toy as you put it. But if a guy is brought in to SPECIFICALLY be a basestealing threat, why oh why did Willy only attempt to steal 31 times all season. I'll NEVER understand that one. But I agree with you in general in regards to the overmanaging.

I have a feeling that they've just got a green light for certain guys. Not a great idea unless you've got the baserunning instincts of Henderson & Raines.

Well, they certainly didn't have the RUN sign on for Taveras most of the season. So I don't know about Dusty wanting to run his new toy as you put it. But if a guy is brought in to SPECIFICALLY be a basestealing threat, why oh why did Willy only attempt to steal 31 times all season. I'll NEVER understand that one. But I agree with you in general in regards to the overmanaging.

I have a feeling that they've just got a green light for certain guys. Not a great idea unless you've got the baserunning instincts of Henderson & Raines.
    I was going to make a crack about Taveras being on base so infrequently that he forgot how to be a good baserunner, but that would be piling on I suppose.

Oh look at that. It looks like I made that crack anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    All I can say is that I'm probably going to have to go on the IR list after pulling a back muscle coming up off the bed after Baker called for the dbl steal in the 9th. My Gawd! With Rolen on 1B??

Way to run yourself out of the inning and game Baker.
    Of course, Dusty completely side-stepped the question in the post game interview. All he said was Phillips "had the green light and Rolen followed him." Huh?

BTW, speaking of low OBP hitters at the top of the lineup, I noticed that Corey Patterson was leading off for Milwaukee with his shiny .105 oBP. Just proves that we aren't the only team with the crazy idea that speed kills.

Of course, Dusty completely side-stepped the question in the post game interview. All he said was Phillips "had the green light and Rolen followed him." Huh?
    So Rolen is actually a follower, and not a leader!

Typical Baker.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I like a little debate in the gamethread as long as it doesn't get out of hand or take away from the pbp. I may disagree from time to time with a post here and usually with clarification I can understand where the person is ultimately coming from. That's what keeps me coming back to RedsZone is that folks can share opinions with each other and make us better fans of Reds baseball. During the win streak the gamethreads have been a lot of fun so hopefully we can start a new streak tomorrow.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

I was going to make a crack about Taveras being on base so infrequently that he forgot how to be a good baserunner, but that would be piling on I suppose.

Oh look at that. It looks like I made that crack anyway.
    LOL. I kinda knew that was coming, but you still get my point. Even when he was on base, he rarely ran...and when he did it wasn't in the right situation IMO.

Turn Off Ads?