Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
So in other words, we're stuck with Hanigan, Gomes and Janish. Pretty defeatist, I would say.

Hanigan is ok as a part time catcher. But that's about it. In 227 at bats this year, he had 9 RBIs. 9. His OPS was ok at one point but now is below .700. Lots of hype, but not enough production. The Reds can keep him, but he is not a plus everyday catcher.

Gomes has struck out 80 times this year, more than one third of his official at bats. That is a very high rate. If you fail to make contact over one third of the time, your chances of winding up with very good numbers are thin.

Janish is a fine fielder. He could start on a strong offensive team, hitting eighth. On the Reds, his lack of offense compounds the problem. Who is there out there? Scutoro on Toronto, for one. But don't you think it's a bit early to give up on upgrading shortstop for next year? It's only September.

You can argue about this group forever, it has been a disaster on offense. These same players will not succeed offensively. Upgrade or watch the rerun next year.
I would be very surprised if all three are everyday players next season. I think Jocketty agrees with you.