Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reds vs Astros - 9/14/09

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: Reds vs Astros - 9/14/09

He strikes out on a very nasty slider. He worked the count though so that was good to see.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Wow, Kevin Barker gets intentionally walked with only one out in the inning!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE comes up with the bases loaded and only one out. He's going to be stuck facing a lefty too. Come on Jay!

BRUUUUUUUUUUUUUCE gets it done and the Reds are up 2-1!!

Welcome back Jay! I think that was a nice boost of confidence for him to get a hit in his first PA back.

Jay bounces a 'seeing eye' single through the right side. Sometimes, it's better to be lucky than good....Knocks in two, Reds up 2-1.

Welcome back Jay!
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Reds hold the lead through the 8th but I'd love an insurance run or two before Coco comes in for the save.

Brandon hits HR #20!!!

And there's the run I was hoping for in this inning. Brandon also does something no Red has ever done but they've said it so fast that I didn't catch it! OK, here it is...he has now had three consecutive 20 HR-20 SB-20 double seasons and he's apparently the first Red to do that. Pretty cool. Congrats Brandon!
    Last edited by HeatherC1212; 09-14-2009 at 09:50 PM.

Bruce gets his first test of the wrist and makes a great catch in RF. A little too similar to the diving catch that originally broke the wrist but he kept the wrist up and made the catch.

And he catches out #2 as well! He should just catch them all since he got the Reds the lead in the first place, LOL

REDS WIN!!!

Bronson gets the win (he should buy Jay a steak dinner for the 2 RBIs, LOL : ), Brandon gets HR #20, and Coco actually has an uneventful save for once. Go Reds!!

Hope everyone enjoyed the HeatherC game thread tonight, LOL

Final Cincinnati 3, Houston 1

Scoring Summary
    Top 6th: Houston
    - C. Lee doubled to center, L. Berkman scored

Bot 7th: Cincinnati
    - J. Bruce singled to shallow right, S. Rolen and J. Gomes scored, K. Barker to third

Bot 8th: Cincinnati
    - B. Phillips homered to deep left

Houston Batting
    2B - C Lee (29, B Arroyo); H Pence (23, B Arroyo).

S - K Matsui.

RBI - C Lee (95).

2-out RBI - C Lee.

Runners left in scoring position, 2 out - C Lee 2, H Pence 1, W Rodriguez 1.

Team LOB - 6.

Base Running
    SB - M Bourn (55, 2nd base off B Arroyo/R Hanigan).

CS - C Lee (3, 3rd base by B Arroyo/R Hanigan).

Fielding
    DP - 2 (H Quintero-K Matsui, K Matsui-M Tejada-L Berkman).

Cincinnati Batting
    2B - J Gomes (12, W Rodriguez); R Hanigan (6, W Rodriguez).

HR - B Phillips (20, 8th inning off J Fulchino 0 on, 1 Out).

S - B Arroyo.

RBI - B Phillips (88), J Bruce 2 (43).

Runners left in scoring position, 2 out - P Janish 1.

GIDP - P Janish.

Team LOB - 6.

Base Running
    CS - D Stubbs (4, 2nd base by W Rodriguez/H Quintero).

Pitching
    Code:
    IP H R ER BB K HR WHIP Season ERA  
    W. Rodriguez 6.0 5 2 2 2 8 0 1.20 2.77   (L, 13-10)
    S. Gervacio  0.1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0.90 0.68   
    W. Wright    0.0 1 0 0 0 0 0 1.67 5.35   
    J. Fulchino  1.2 1 1 1 0 2 1 1.18 3.38   

Cincinnati 
      IP H R ER BB K HR WHIP Season ERA  
    B. Arroyo   7.0 6 1 1 0 6 0 1.32 4.07     (W, 13-12)
    A. Rhodes   0.2 1 0 0 0 0 0 1.09 2.63   
    N. Masset   0.1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1.07 2.71   
    F. Cordero  1.0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1.31 2.36     (S, 35)
    IBB - K Barker (by S Gervacio).

HPB - G Blum (by B Arroyo).

Pitches-strikes - W Rodriguez 111-68; S Gervacio 10-4; W Wright 2-1; J Fulchino 25-17; F Cordero 6-4; A Rhodes 9-7; N Masset 2-2; B Arroyo 108-79.

Ground balls-fly balls - W Rodriguez 7-1; S Gervacio 0-0; W Wright 1-0; J Fulchino 1-3; F Cordero 0-3; A Rhodes 1-1; N Masset 0-1; B Arroyo 8-9.

Batters faced - W Rodriguez 24; S Gervacio 2; W Wright 1; J Fulchino 6; F Cordero 3; A Rhodes 3; N Masset 1; B Arroyo 27.

i watched most of the game.

Bruce made a great catch in the 9th to keep the bases empty in a 2 run game.

Bronson has been amazing in the 2nd half. all the teams that needed pitching 2 & 1/2 months ago really messed up by not trading for him.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    i watched most of the game.

Bruce made a great catch in the 9th to keep the bases empty in a 2 run game.

Bronson has been amazing in the 2nd half. all the teams that needed pitching 2 & 1/2 months ago really messed up by not trading for him.
    Yep. Darned right. Bronson may not have the best stuff, but he's BY FAR the best "pitcher" the Reds have had in 20 years IMO. The way he keeps hitters totally off-balance with the arm angles, locations, speeds. When he's on top of his game, he's a pleasure to watch. I love watching guys look foolish on one of those bugs bunny breaking balls. :O) I really wish he could tutor some of the other starters on how to actually PITCH and not just throw.

Agree, Sir Charles, that we tend to undervalue Bronson on RZ and that he knows how to pitch in a way that some others might benefit from studying. But 20 years takes in Jose so I don't know if I can quite buy that.

My son and daughter went to last night's game. When I looked at the attendance from last night in the paper this morning, I said to my wife that the kids were mentioned in the article about the Reds game. She asked what I meant and I said the attendance was 9852, so if they clearly showed up in the number there.

Funny thing is when I told my son that this aftenroon, he said they'd commented on that last night at the game.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Agree, Sir Charles, that we tend to undervalue Bronson on RZ and that he knows how to pitch in a way that some others might benefit from studying. But 20 years takes in Jose so I don't know if I can quite buy that.
    Ah...Okay, you got me. I forgot Rijo. :O) I didn't actually look at the specific years, it was just a round number....like 100 pitches. *grin* But most of our decent-to-good starters have been power pitchers and didn't have the mindset of Bronson.

Regarding the attendance, yep...those stands were depressing. Can we just shuttle the Dayton fans over to Cincy? Sheesh

Turn Off Ads?