Top 9th: Florida
    - J. Cantu doubled to shallow left, C. Coghlan scored, H. Ramirez to third
    - D. Uggla grounded out to shortstop, H. Ramirez scored, J. Cantu to third
    - J. Baker singled to shallow left, J. Cantu scored
    - B. Carroll doubled to center, J. Baker scored, C. Ross to third

Bot 9th: Cincinnati
    - J. Francisco homered to deep right

Florida Batting
    2B - J Cantu (37, F Cordero); B Carroll (8, J Burton).

RBI - J Cantu (88), D Uggla (81), J Baker (49), B Carroll (15).

2-out RBI - J Baker, B Carroll.

Runners left in scoring position, 2 out - C Coghlan 2.

GIDP - W Helms.

Team LOB - 6.

Base Running
    CS - C Coghlan (3, 3rd base by H Bailey/C Miller), C Maybin (2, 2nd base by H Bailey/C Miller).

Fielding
    DP - 1 (J Cantu-D Uggla-N Johnson).

Reds Batting
    2B - B Phillips (28, R VandenHurk).

3B - D Sutton (1, B Donnelly).

HR - Francisco

S - C Miller, H Bailey.

RBI - D Sutton (8), J Votto (71).

2-out RBI - D Sutton.

Runners left in scoring position, 2 out - D Stubbs 2, J Gomes 1.

GIDP - J Gomes.

Team LOB - 7.

Base Running
    SB - D Stubbs (7, 2nd base off R VandenHurk/J Baker).

Fielding
    E - W Balentien (1, field).

DP - 1 (B Phillips-D Sutton-J Votto).

Pitching
    Code:
    IP H R ER BB K HR WHIP Season ERA  
    R. VandenHurk  6.0 4 1 1 2 3 0 1.37 4.24   
    K. Calero      1.0 0 0 0 1 0 0 1.09 1.93   
    B. Donnelly    1.0 2 1 1 1 0 0 1.28 1.99   (W, 3-0)
    L. Nunez       1.0 1 1 1 0 2 1 1.19 4.08   (S, 23)

Cincinnati 
      IP H R ER BB K HR WHIP Season ERA  
    H. Bailey  7.0 3 0 0 2 8 0 1.51 5.15   
    N. Masset  1.0 1 0 0 0 1 0 1.04 2.56   
    F. Cordero 0.2 4 4 0 0 0 0 1.31 2.23     (L, 2-6)
    J. Burton  0.1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1.51 4.99
    WP - H Bailey.

Pitches-strikes - R VandenHurk 92-55; K Calero 9-5; B Donnelly 12-7; L Nunez 16-10; F Cordero 29-19; J Burton 15-7; H Bailey 118-76; N Masset 9-8.

Ground balls-fly balls - R VandenHurk 4-7; K Calero 0-2; B Donnelly 2-2; L Nunez 0-1; F Cordero 1-0; J Burton 0-1; H Bailey 5-5; N Masset 2-0.

Batters faced - R VandenHurk 24; K Calero 4; B Donnelly 5; L Nunez 4; F Cordero 7; J Burton 3; H Bailey 24; N Masset 3.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds vs. Marlins - 9/18/09

Francisco -- whoa. He obliterated that fastball from Nunez.

Nice intimidation quotient on the stance, too.

Sometimes, despite what minor league numbers say, some prospects cannot be denied.

A couple runners on base is the only thing that would've made Francisco's hr better. But I'm almost afraid some will get carried away with their reaction. Great 1st hit in the majors but that doesn't mean he should be handed a roster spot on the 2010 team.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Codero fifth night in a row=trouble. But 'ol Dusty has a routine and be damned if he'll change that routine because that's the way it's always done, right? CF is leadoff, SS bats second, closer in the ninth.

It's going to drive us all insane.
    I knew someone would blame Dusty there. I disagree, completely. Cordero has not been throwing hardly any pitches these last few nights. And that situation pretty much demands you use the guy you're paying (or over paying, depending on who's asking) to do that job. Last night was the best I've seen Cordero all year long. There were certainly no indications that he was tired, that's for sure.

It was just a bad outting by Cordero and some timely hitting for the Fish. But since Dusty's the manager, I guess it's all his fault. :thumbdown

By the way, it was the fifth night in a row by Masset as well. He looked pretty darned solid out there. Does that mean Dusty gets the credit for that too? Or should we give it to the player who earns it?

Ah, ignore me. I'm just grumpy 'cuz we lost. :-(
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 09-18-2009 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I knew someone would blame Dusty there. I disagree, completely. Cordero has not been throwing hardly any pitches these last few nights. And that situation pretty much demands you use the guy you're paying (or over paying, depending on who's asking) to do that job. Last night was the best I've seen Cordero all year long. There were certainly no indications that he was tired, that's for sure.

It was just a bad outting by Cordero and some timely hitting for the Fish. But since Dusty's the manager, I guess it's all his fault. :thumbdown

By the way, it was the fifth night in a row by Masset as well. He looked pretty darned solid out there. Does that mean Dusty gets the credit for that too? Or should we give it to the player who earns it?

Ah, ignore me. I'm just grumpy 'cuz we lost. :-(
    Cincinnati 68 80 .459 17.5

They've only lost 80 games this year, he can't be the blame for all of those. Can he?

Pretty much gave up all interest in this team 3 or 4 weeks ago. Was at tonight's game.....still see no reason to care.

Based on last night's attendance of 9600 people, I'd say the rest of the city doesn't really care either.

Homer pitched well. Stubbs runs fast. Corky Miller threw out a couple runners. Other than that.......? Well. Um. That goofy deal in the 8th with Phillips and Votto was kinda neat since we had no idea what happened and had never seen anything like that.

Without a major infusion of talent, this team is going nowhere in 2010.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 09-18-2009 at 11:24 PM.

Sir Charles, when you become the manager of a team, whether it be major or little league, the moves you make define you. Those who make moves that are successful get credit for those moves. Those who make moves that are not successful get credit for those moves, too. Tonight, he went to the well with Codero too many times. Although many here think Codero has been lights out, he hasn't. At least lately. Now, I know someone will quote some statistics that show us that he is wonderful, but the eye tells us that he simply is worn out from thowing 20-26 pitches in an inning. Burton always is a go to guy, and that didn't work either (he's had an off year), so those two moves cost the Reds the ballgame. They were Dusty's decisions. I'm sure Francisco and Burton went out there to walk players and allow hits, but it is up to the field management to see a problem and come up with a solution.

Ignore me, too. I'm pretty grumpy myself. I wish I could be like Ltlabner and just not care anymore, but try as I might I can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Without a major infusion of talent, this team is going nowhere in 2010.
    In the Reds last 10 games they're 5-5. If they win half of their last 14 games they'll finish with more wins then last year despite all of the injuries that they've had this year. Obviously, they still have some work to do but I wouldn't say that a winning season in 2010 is out of the question.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

As far as pythag goes, the Reds are easily in the bottom three in all of baseball.

Injuries or not, it's just the same old Reds.

Even injury free, the Reds are still lucky to sniff .500.

How in the heck would that give me hope for 2010?

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    As far as pythag goes, the Reds are easily in the bottom three in all of baseball.

Injuries or not, it's just the same old Reds.

Even injury free, the Reds are still lucky to sniff .500.

How in the heck would that give me hope for 2010?
    Obviously it doesn't. But your glass is half empty while mine is half full.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Francisco -- whoa. He obliterated that fastball from Nunez.

Nice intimidation quotient on the stance, too.

Sometimes, despite what minor league numbers say, some prospects cannot be denied.
    Minor league numbers say Francisco can crush pitches. He can also strike out. He doesn't do either all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post

It's going to drive us all insane.
    It's not a drive. It's a short putt.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?