Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: 9/22/09 Reds vs Pirates

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: 9/22/09 Reds vs Pirates

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Single to left by Jaramillo (whoever THAT is).

~edit~ LOL. We're on the same page Heather. :O)
    Hey, you at least caught his name! He was just no name guy to me, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Two outs now on a nice play by Rosales.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Random Thought: Do you think the Pittsburgh Pirates did anything special for "Talk Like a Pirate" day this past weekend?
    hehe.

Here's another one for you. Do you think there was an abundance of piracy on the 3 rivers throughout history? If not...why in the world are they called the "pirates"?

Ground out to Janish. And this one belongs to the Reds!!! :O)

Game over!! Reds win!!

Hopefully haven't used up their entire series hit quota in this one game, LOL

Hmmmm, good question about the rivers. There did used to be a big fort right there where the rivers meet (I saw where it used to be when I visited Pittsburgh earlier this summer) so there could have been some random boat battles in the past. Maybe some Pirates got bored and decided to play some baseball when they weren't busy stealing and causing trouble, LOL

Haunted by walks

hehe.

Here's another one for you. Do you think there was an abundance of piracy on the 3 rivers throughout history? If not...why in the world are they called the "pirates"?
    The Alleghenys were accused of stealing a player from the American Association. They denied wrongdoing, but mockingly called themselves the Pirates after that.

If this club (the one including Janish at short, Rolen at third, Stubbs in center and Gomes starting) had started the season, the Reds would be over .500 and maybe contending. Life is sometimes very cruel.

I just think it's interesting that this team has a shot to exceed last years win total. I don't think anyone expected that two months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I just think it's interesting that this team has a shot to exceed last years win total. I don't think anyone expected that two months ago.
    They have a real good shot. Five more with the fast fading Pirates and three with the equally fast fading Astros. Also three with the Cards who will probably have clinched the Division by next week. Whether this fast finish means anything towards next season remains to be seen?
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I think it's interesting that the Pirates have already clinched last place. You know it's a bad year when you're 13 GB the 5th place team.

The Pirates as a group right know are playing like they don't even care. They're one dead team to play

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    The Alleghenys were accused of stealing a player from the American Association. They denied wrongdoing, but mockingly called themselves the Pirates after that.
    Seriously? That's hilarious. I was only joking, but that's great.

And then they made everyone who didn't agree with them walk the plank into the rivers. :

Single for Francisco! 8-3 Reds. The birthday boy Mark Berry held Gomes.
    I imagine Francisco is going to get a long look from the Reds. That single was hit so hard the RFer nearly had it skip by him.

hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Yes, as BCubb2003 said, the Pittsburg (no "h" at the end) Alleghenys, as the club was originally known from their inception in 1882 until 1890, had a reputation for "raiding" other clubs for their talent. Hence the nickname "Pirates", and the moniker stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    Game over!! Reds win!!

Hopefully haven't used up their entire series hit quota in this one game, LOL

Hmmmm, good question about the rivers. There did used to be a big fort right there where the rivers meet (I saw where it used to be when I visited Pittsburgh earlier this summer) so there could have been some random boat battles in the past. Maybe some Pirates got bored and decided to play some baseball when they weren't busy stealing and causing trouble, LOL
    That would be Fort Duquesne and/or Fort Pitt. Fort Duquesne was a French stronghold during the French and Indian War. It was razed and abandoned by French forces, who fled before the advancing British Army under General John Forbes (the man after whom Forbes Field was named). The British then built the larger and stronger Fort Pitt on the site. The remains of Fort Duquesne and Fort Pitt can be found at Point State Park, commonly referred to as "The Point".
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?