Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 9/25: Reds vs Astros

Re: 9/25: Reds vs Astros

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Two responses. If you're talking BB to K rate, then Francisco suffers by the low number of walks. My point is that he compensates for the walks, in part, but clearly his walks are low. I'd rather look at K to at bat rates.

Also, looking at JF's minor league career numbers is, IMO, not a very fair measure. His first full year at Dayton he fanned over 160 times as I recall. That year skews his numbers. He then dramatically improved the last two seasons.

Compare his K/at bat rates for the last two seasons and his numbers are far more favorable.
    I already mentioned the .21 this year. Even the .21 would be second-worst in all the majors right now of qualified players. So even ignoring what he's done in the past, his rate is still almost twice as low as guys like Dunn, Reynolds, Howard, etc.

Your point was his lower strikeout totals compensate for the lack of walks somewhat. But since BB-K ratio uses only those two numbers, this suggests that's not the case at all. In fact, he's faring even worse when looking at these two numbers in isolation.

The strikeouts are still on the high side. They're not problematic, but short of improving his walk rate, the guy will definitely have to continue to cut down on them even more if he wants to be successful. If he does either (or both), no doubt about it - he will be one of arguably the best sluggers in the game. But he does definitely need to do at least one or the other.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

92 pitches.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Tim Byrdak in.

Ground ball to third...Kepp airmails it to Berkman. Ruled an error.

Adam Rosales pinch running.

Bruce takes the free pass. 1st & 2nd with 0 outs. Wlad up.

MAN! What a catch! Wlad tosses his bat and it goes PAST the dugout...fan snags it.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

We may have a full out Louisville squad out there soon, LOL

Great catch by the guy in the crowd!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Wlad ends up whiffing.

Juan pops out to Bourne. 2 down. Hanigan up.

~edit~ Tatum Ph'ing. Flies out to right to end the inning.

Wow, we haven't had a big blowout game since...oh, like Tuesday or Wednesday so I guess we were due for another one, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Senor Votto

I wonder what kind of numbers Votto would've put up had he not missed a month of playing time

I think Hanigan just gave the security guy a bat for the fan in the crowd. That's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I already mentioned the .21 this year. Even the .21 would be second-worst in all the majors right now of qualified players. So even ignoring what he's done in the past, his rate is still almost twice as low as guys like Dunn, Reynolds, Howard, etc.

Your point was his lower strikeout totals compensate for the lack of walks somewhat. But since BB-K ratio uses only those two numbers, this suggests that's not the case at all. In fact, he's faring even worse when looking at these two numbers in isolation.

The strikeouts are still on the high side. They're not problematic, but short of improving his walk rate, the guy will definitely have to continue to cut down on them even more if he wants to be successful. If he does either (or both), no doubt about it - he will be one of arguably the best sluggers in the game. But he does definitely need to do at least one or the other.
    I guess I don't entirely follow your first two paragraphs, sorry.

Appreciate your thoughts. Obviously, we'll see how he does against big league pitching.

Overall, I think his contact rate for this type of hitter is relatively high and affords Francisco - given his huge power - to be a big time hitter. How it works out, we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    I wonder what kind of numbers Votto would've put up had he not missed a month of playing time
    Wow, those numbers could have been scary good. IMO, he was very likely to be an All Star before he went on the DL. I'm sure it didn't matter much to him (especially at the time) but boy what that would have done for the Reds to get him on the All Star team for the NL where guys like Pujols, Fielder, and Gonzalez seem to rule 1B.

Turn Off Ads?