Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Winter Ball '09-'10.

Winter Ball '09-'10.

Wes Bankston went 1 for 3 with a walk while playing 3B for Guasave in the Mexican Pacific League. Assuming the Reds are going to deal a little of the minor league depth, Bankston wouldn't be a bad guy to bring back on a AAA deal with an eye toward him helping the big team in a pinch. He's still young enough to take a step forward as a big league bench player.

Miguel Rojas went 0-3 playing SS for La Guaira of the Venezuelan League.

Danny Dorn went 0-2 with a BB playing RF for Caribes of the Venezuelan League. If he has a good winter, could he be a dark horse for the Reds? This is probably an audition for a major league job for Dorn. The Reds may well leave him exposed in the rule 5 draft.

For those hungry for some on field data, these leagues have begun. The AFL starts Tuesday and the rest of the winter leagues will be going by the end of the week.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Winter Ball '09-'10.

The Dominican winter league starts on Friday, October 16. Rick Sweet is managing the Aguilas. Website is: http://www.aguilas.com.do/

It has been announced that Ben Jukich, of the Louisville Bats, will start game one and John Halama, of the Gwinnet Braves will start game two. If you can't read spanish, here is a website that will translate Spanish to English for you. It's not perfect but you can get an idea of what they are trying to say: http://www.spanishdict.com/translation

The Eagles had a scrimmage against Licey (supposedly the two top teams in the DR) and won (Eagles (Reds)) 5-1. Enjoy!!

If the Reds expose Dorn, they should expect to lose him. He's close to major league ready, has very good power and can take a BB.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    If the Reds expose Dorn, they should expect to lose him. He's close to major league ready, has very good power and can take a BB.
    Yep. At the very least an AL team should take a shot at letting him get time at DH against RHP to see how he does. There is absolutely no reason an AL team shouldn't take him if he is there for the taking.

Quote Originally Posted by roborobj View Post
    The Dominican winter league starts on Friday, October 16. Rick Sweet is managing the Aguilas. Website is: http://www.aguilas.com.do/
    I guess I misunderstood and was wrong. I thought that Cueto wasn't pitching winter ball??

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    I guess I misunderstood and was wrong. I thought that Cueto wasn't pitching winter ball??
    I don't think Cueto is playing. His name hasn't come up in any of the news articles. The roster that they show is from last year.

I don't think Cueto is playing. His name hasn't come up in any of the news articles. The roster that they show is from last year.
    Oh thanks for the correction. I had not paid any attention to dates and had assumed that was the current roster.

The Dominican game can be seen on line. Louisville players in the game are Craig Tatum, Kevin Barker and Ben Jukich.

The Dominican game can be seen on line. Louisville players in the game are Craig Tatum, Kevin Barker and Ben Jukich.
    Licey vs Escodigo can be seen here

Estrellas vs Toros can be seen here
    Last edited by dougdirt; 10-16-2009 at 09:02 PM.

Are any of the Mexican or Venezualan games broadcast or televised?

Are any of the Mexican or Venezualan games broadcast or televised?
    I think some of the VWL games have been on, but I didn't see any while looking so far today.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I went to see an AFL game on Tuesday, and am going to see the Reds players for the first time on Monday.

Matt Dominguez of the Marlins looked ungodly awful like he could have cared less on Tuesday - it was opening day and he was at home playing Xbox in his head or something. Several bone head fielding plays and not a single swing like he meant it all day.

Chris Marrero went yard and was a general monster.

And as an added bonus, the AFL has several players on each team from the Japanese league this year (a first) so one of the relievers was from the Nippon Ham Fighters. Great Japanese Jerseys.

Reds on Tuesday, I'll try to take some photos and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    And as an added bonus, the AFL has several players on each team from the Japanese league this year (a first) so one of the relievers was from the Nippon Ham Fighters. Great Japanese Jerseys.
    I'm not sure there's a better name in all of baseball than the Nippon Ham Fighters.

Hey, jm..... I'm going to be in town next week from Thu-Sat with the wife catching the AFL......

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Hey, jm..... I'm going to be in town next week from Thu-Sat with the wife catching the AFL......
    Which games are you going to? I was thinking about Sat or Sun taking my son for a few innings to one of the games.

Turn Off Ads?