Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 68 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers

Re: Some Obituaries of Recently Deceased Major Leaguers

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Cavaretta played on the last Cubs team to play in a World Series and was NL MVP in 1945.
    Dropo was AL Rookie of the Year in 1950 while playing for the Red Sox.
    Phil was also the manager of the Cubs in the mid 50's and was asked what he thought of his teams chances, he replied that he didn't think much of them, because there was none.

For that he was canned.

He was signed by the Cubs out of Lane Tech at he age of 18, his father had lost his job and Phil quit school to help the familiy out.

The Cubs were one of the last teams to have a ML system and he was essentially their last big signing before everyone had a ML system. For that approach the Cubs became what we know as today as The Cubs,

Prior to 1946 the Cubs had the best record in NL history.

2. Turn Off Ads?

As the year comes to a close I decided to do a little research into those who passed. In addition to the big names there were a lot of long time baseball players and figures who passed in 2010. I've never really looked into it before, so I don't really know if this is more than normal, but baseball lost of lot of its people in 2010. Here's a list:

Code:
    Pos	Name
    Own	George Steinbrenner
    Pres	Bill Lajoie
    GM	Joe Brown
    Mgr	Sparky Anderson
    Coach	Ralph Houk
    Coach	Bobby Bragan
    Coach	Cal Emery
    Coach	Clyde King
    Coach	Frank Verdi
    C	Jim Paglironi
    1B	Walt Dropo
    2B	Bobby Thomson
    3B	Ron Santo
    SS	Gil McDougald
    LF	Phil Cavaretta
    CF	Willie Davis
    RF	Gene Hermanski
    CI/OF	Ed Kirkpatrick
    OF	Joe Lis
    C	????
    IF	Al Pilarcik
    IF	George Strickland
    SP1	Bob Feller
    SP2	Robin Roberts
    SP3	Mike Cuellar
    SP4	Jose Lima
    SP5	Bob Shaw
    SW	Billy Hoeft
    RP	Billy Loes
    RP	Tom Underwood
    RP	Jim Bibby
    RP	Wayne Twitchell
    RP	Cal McLish
    RP	Morrie Martin
    PBP	Dave Niehaus
    Color	Ernie Harwell
    Writer	Maury Allen
    Umpire	Satch Davidson
    PA      Bob Sheppard
    Others who passed below. The most familiar to today's fans are probably Jeriome Robertson who got a look with the Reds one spring and Oscar Azocar who spent a little time in the big leagues in the early 90s.

Code:
    Hillis Layne
    Curt Motten
    Hal Manders
    Ken Walters
    Sammy Drake
    Frank Baker
    Paul Lapalme
    Jerry Fahr
    Jim Waugh
    Bob Chakales
    George Cisar
    RC Stevens
    Hank Small
    Frank Bertaina
    William werle
    Ken Holcombe
    Vern Fletcher
    John Purdin
    Joe Gates
    Bill Moisan
    Pete Castiglione
    Dick Kenworthy
    George Susce
    Jay Schluter
    Rogelio Martinez
    Art Mahan
    Jeriome Robertson
    Freddie Burdette
    Jerry Stephenson
    Danny McDevitt
    Harold Bamberger
    George Binks
    Jimmy McMath
    George Estock
    Jay Van Noy
    Gene Fodge
    Rudy Rufer
    Tony Roig
    Bill Jennings
    Otey Clark
    Dale Roberts
    Steve Kulczek
    Ray Coleman
    Al Lamacchia
    Lamar Jacobs
    Jim Roland
    Johnny Van Cuyk
    Kenny Kuhn
    Larry Fritz
    Keith Drumright
    Nellie King
    Ken Lehman
    Clint Hartung
    Frank Verdi
    Ed Palmquist
    Oscar Azocar
    Bob Hartman
    Hopefully there won't be any additions, but I may have missed somebody.

May they all rest in peace,
    Last edited by mth123; 12-30-2010 at 06:08 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Excellent list, mth. Thanks for your efforts.

One very minor thing that I noticed...

If my memory is correct, Bobby Thomson played only third base and outfield but not second base. Could you be thinking of Robby Thompson who was a second baseman?

I remember when Frank Verdi managed my hometown Tidewater (now Norfolk) Tides from '77 to '80, at a time when I followed that team about as closely as I followed the Reds. They were the Mets AAA team, and Verdi managed such players as Mike Scott, Mookie Wilson, Hubie Brooks, Jesse Orosco, Wally Backman, Jeff Reardon, and current Rangers' skipper, Ron Washington.

He also had this close call over 50 years ago (from wikipedia):

Verdi also survived a nearly tragic accident on July 25, 1959, when, as a player for the Rochester Red Wings, he was struck in the head by a stray bullet in Havana during a game against the Havana Sugar Kings. Verdi was standing in as the team's third base coach after the ejection of Rochester manager Cot Deal when shooting broke out in the stands. Verdi was still wearing the plastic lining in his baseball cap in lieu of a batting helmet and the lining deflected the bullet, which eventually caused a minor shoulder wound.
    I didn't realize he passed away this year. RIP to Verdi and all the others from the baseball world we lost this year.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    Excellent list, mth. Thanks for your efforts.

One very minor thing that I noticed...

If my memory is correct, Bobby Thomson played only third base and outfield but not second base. Could you be thinking of Robby Thompson who was a second baseman?
    You are right. Thomson played 2B for 9 games in 1947. Didn't really have a notable SS, so I took a liberty and put McDougald at SS and Thomson at 2B.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

It looks like you need a name to fill the backup catcher position, right?

How about Valmy Thomas who played from from 1957 through 1961 with several teams? He died in October of 2010.

Adding Bill Lajoie to that list makes 2010 a very bad year for the Detroit Tiger faithful. Harwell, Anderson, and Lajoie in one year is quite a loss. The Bird went last year.

Bill Lajoie played and managed in the Reds minor leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    It looks like you need a name to fill the backup catcher position, right?

How about Valmy Thomas who played from from 1957 through 1961 with several teams? He died in October of 2010.
    Yep. Missed that one. Baseball Reference isn't showing a date of death.

Thanks MTH for that list. There are many familiar names that I remember from my old baseball cards. Clint Hartung could be your backup catcher,I think. He was before my time but I think he was a utility catcher.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Thanks MTH for that list. There are many familiar names that I remember from my old baseball cards. Clint Hartung could be your backup catcher,I think. He was before my time but I think he was a utility catcher.
    Baseball reference shows Hartung as a RF and Pitcher with 1 game at 1B.

I can't really say I enjoyed making such a morbid list, but I was intrigued by looking into it. So many times these guys pass and we may note it at the time and forget all about it. In my case, the biggest surprises were Jim Bibby and Willie Davis. Davis was the Dodgers best player right up until the time that the Garvey, Lopes and Cey group came along and as the Reds main rival I have lots of memories of him. I vaguely remembered seeing that he had passed, but it didn't really sink in until I did this. I also remember reading about Bibby now that I think of it, but when I ran accross his name as having passed in 2010, I was surprised anyway. Same for Wayne Twitchell.

Also, as I was looking into this, I noticed some guys who passed in recent years (not 2010) who I didn't realize were gone. Maybe now that I'm older these things are more meaningful, so even though its not really a happy topic, I'm glad that I spent the time.

Another name that might qualify for your list would be Bill Shannon who died 10-26-10.

He was an official scorer at Yankees and Mets games for 32 years.

Nah, Clint Hartung was the "Hondo Hurricane" from Hondo, Texas- a prospect so hot he was said to have Hall of Fame potential as both a pitcher and an outfielder. Unfortunately, he pitched like an outfielder and hit like a pitcher, so that didn't really work. It was as if Bryce Harper came to the majors and morphed into Micah Owings...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Dodger Stadium killed Willie Davis's career. In another home park he'd have been a legit HOF candidate.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Unfortunately, Steve Boros, who played for the Reds primarliy as a part-time 3B in 1964 passed yesterday. Another former Tiger as well. Boros spent some time Managing IIRC, but I couldn't tell you who.

Add one more to the sad list for for 2010. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Unfortunately, Steve Boros, who played for the Reds primarliy as a part-time 3B in 1964 passed yesterday. Another former Tiger as well. Boros spent some time Managing IIRC, but I couldn't tell you who.

Add one more to the sad list for for 2010. RIP
    He managed Oakland in 1983 and part of '84 and also San Diego in 1986.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5971894

Turn Off Ads?