Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: A Reds-Dbacks-A's-Jays four-team trade to be announced.

Here is ehat the BlueJay faans are saying.

http://citadel6.ezboard.com/ftoronto...tart=1&stop=20

I believe that every fan overrates there own players.

I'm sure Bowden offered both Walker and Dessens to a number of teams, if this is what we got for them this is what they are worth.

Trading them now was the best time for both of them.

Both are getting more expensive and longer in the tooth, both coming off great years.

Its funny reading that board, its the complete opposite as in here, most think the Reds came out ahead in this deal!!!
    Last edited by Griffey30; 12-15-2002 at 07:29 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    This isa very good trade for the Reds. Elmer Dessens has hit his peak, and will more than likely not put up the 3.03 ERA he did this season. The Reds signed this guy out of a Mexican league and turned him into a decent pitcher and got a 22 year old switching hitting MI who has a ton of potential.

Dessens averaged 6 IP per start last year, it's not like he was going deep into games for the Reds. I don't have the time to look it up, but I can promise you that Dessens was the best 5 inning pitcher in baseball, but his ERA in the 6th and 7th innings had to be horrible.

A team like the Reds can not afford to pay a risky pitcher like Dessens 3.5-4 million dollars like they were going to. 2-2.5 million? sure, just like they did Jimmy Haynes.

This will turn out to be a very good trade for the Reds. And it could be as soon as this year.

How much $$$$$$$$, did they give away. Pleading cash poor all this time and now giving it away? I surely hope it wasn't much. Player for player, the trade doesn't bother me, but to give them cash too, starts to make me a little uneasy.

Originally posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC
    How much $$$$$$$$, did they give away. Pleading cash poor all this time and now giving it away? I surely hope it wasn't much.
    That's key. And as long as we still get a solid SP, all is good.

Jimbo said during the news conference that when he resigned Haynes, he expected this deal to go thru an hour later. He had a choice either Dessens by himself or Hanyes and Lopez. I think he made the right choice. Also, he said he has never had anything close to a deal with Colorado.

Interesting stuff...now who is that pitcher that we need???

Everyone hating this trade is going to look silly, not in a few years, but next year.

Lopez is going to match Todd Walker offensively, for three million dollars less. I could easily see Lopez being a Tejeda type shortstop in five years. And if Larkin gets moved to second, his offensive drop off doesn't look so bad at a normally weak offensive position.

Losing Dessens hurts, but I have faith in Bowden. He's going to replace him at these meetings, and I seriously doubt that he made this trade without something up his sleeve. I'm sure this trade is going to look very different by next Wednesday.

Want to bet a coke on that ? on who looks silly ?

I sure hope we don't make the Larson/Chicon deal with the Rox. If we are able to get a better starter than Dessens then I am OK with the deal. If we go into ST with this rotation we could lose 90 games.

Oh, I don't know that Lopez will match Walker offensively next season, but he will play rings around him defensively.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

Alright Springfield, I'll bet you a coke. We'll decide who wins following next season.

From Rob Neyer:

Dec. 15
    It took him a couple of years, but Billy Beane finally got his man.

Even before Jason Giambi went for Steinbrenner's millions, Beane salivated at the prospect of acquiring Erubiel Durazo to DH and eventually take over at first base. And now, after a year of Scott Hatteberg and his .433 slugging percentage, Beane fhas Durazo and his .528 career slugging percentage in the lineup.

For the Athletics, though, the question will be how often Durazo is actually in the lineup. The big slugger set a career high last season in at-bats ... with 222. In giving up two of their better prospects, the A's hope that Durazo can stay off the disabled list and give them at least 400 at-bats and at least 30 home runs.

Elsewhere, the Blue Jays get a couple more prospects as they continue to rebuild their farm system, the Reds get Barry Larkin's eventual replacement, and the Diamondbacks get a pitcher who posted a 3.03 ERA last season and probably won't post a sub-4.00 ERA next season.
    "People that frequent Internet forums resemble the cast of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest!" - C. J. Cregg, The West Wing

I'd have to say right now I like this trade. However, we still are left with two holes from last year. Regardless of where he plays, he still has to replace the solid production Walker gave us, and now we are left with a large hole in the rotation. Jim has tried to address the hole left by Walker's departure, I'd have to say he is working on the rotation.

And we do likely add some sorely needed speed to this lineup, just as long as he's not planning on trying to steal first base. :evilgrin:
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

I'm not as concerned about the loss of Walker's production, as I am the loss of a very reliable starting pitcher. If the Reds can replace Dessens and strengthen the staff, I like the trade.

By The End Of Next Season?

Redsfaithful,

What are you doing, putting my coke in escrow? We will know by the end of July.
    :evilgrin:

Don't know if any of this has been posted, here goes. Scouting reports from TSN last year on Lopez. It seems they maybe possibly probably might think he'll be another Tejada.

Latest Update
    Sept. 2, 2002 - 7:49 p.m.
    The Blue Jays recalled Lopez from Triple-A Syracuse on Monday.
    Fantasy Spin: Since being sent back to Triple-A, Lopez, the team's future shortstop, has batted .297 but displayed terrible defense (11 errors in 37 games). Nevertheless, if he gets called up, Lopez should get enough time between second, third and short to warrant a look. (Brendan Roberts/TSN)

July 18, 2002 - 2:57 p.m.
    The Blue Jays assigned Lopez to Triple-A Syracuse on Thursday. He hit .226 with 14 doubles, eight home runs and 31 RBIs in 79 games.
    Fantasy Spin: We guess he won't be splitting time with Chris Woodward anymore.

Feb. 8, 2002 - 11:49 a.m.
    Lopez is a tremendous athlete who could become a 30-30 player. He switched to third in the majors last year because the Blue Jays had a gaping hole at the position. In the offseason, they traded shortstop Alex Gonzalez and acquired third-base prospect Eric Hinske, setting the stage for Lopez to play short. Lopez batted .279-16-44 with 13 steals in 358 Triple-A at-bats and could be amazing by age 27. He has been plagued by inconsistency, however, and could falter in 2002.
    Fantasy Spin: He enters spring as the starting shortstop. He could be another Miguel Tejada, but for 2002 consider him a sleeper who might hit 10 homers with 20-plus steals. (David Srinivasan/TSN)

Aug. 23, 2001 - 5:49 p.m.
    Lopez hit his first major league homer Thursday, connecting for a two-run shot in the sixth from Travis Miller. Lopez, who homered in his 57th major league at-bat, was 3-for-4, also tripling and singling. Said Jays manager Buck Martinez: "He has tremendous power. We've seen it in BP. I've been expecting something like this from him."
    Fantasy Spin: Lopez could develop into another Miguel Tejada with the lumber. He's very young, and he has outstandings tools. You should be excited about him.

Aug. 14, 2001 - 9:15 p.m.
    Manager Buck Martinez said Lopez's future is at SS or 2B, not a third baseman. "Given our personnel right now, he's best suited for third base," Martinez said. "He'll be a shortstop, but we have a good shortstop. I don't think anybody plays better at shortstop than Alex Gonzalez."
    Fantasy Spin: Just wanted to let you know a position change (and a good one fantasy-wise) is in order.

Aug. 4, 2001 - 2:58 p.m.
    Lopez was called up from Triple-A Syracuse on Friday.
    Fantasy Spin: Lopez is an exceptional athlete who needs to polish his defense. He's primarily a shortstop, but has played some second and third, and this versatility will serve him well in the majors this season. Down the road, he and the Blue Jays will kick starting shortstop Alex Gonzalez to the curb. Lopez has excellent power and was slugging .506 at Triple-A Syracuse (19 doubles, seven triples, 16 homers in 358 at-bats). Lopez was also batting .279 with a .337 OBP. His plate discipline isn't outstanding -- he had 94 strikeouts and 30 walks -- but he's only 21, and could hit 30-35 homers when he matures. Toss in the potential for 30-40 steals, and you have a potential roto stud. (David Srinivasan/TSN)

Scouting Reports
    Feb. 8, 2002 - 11:49 a.m.
    Lopez is a tremendous athlete who could become a 30-30 player. He switched to third in the majors last year because the Blue Jays had a gaping hole at the position. In the offseason, they traded shortstop Alex Gonzalez and acquired third-base prospect Eric Hinske, setting the stage for Lopez to play short. Lopez batted .279-16-44 with 13 steals in 358 Triple-A at-bats and could be amazing by age 27. He has been plagued by inconsistency, however, and could falter in 2002.
    Fantasy Spin: He enters spring as the starting shortstop. He could be another Miguel Tejada, but for 2002 consider him a sleeper who might hit 10 homers with 20-plus steals. (David Srinivasan/TSN)

Aug. 23, 2001 - 5:49 p.m.
    Lopez hit his first major league homer Thursday, connecting for a two-run shot in the sixth from Travis Miller. Lopez, who homered in his 57th major league at-bat, was 3-for-4, also tripling and singling. Said Jays manager Buck Martinez: "He has tremendous power. We've seen it in BP. I've been expecting something like this from him."
    Fantasy Spin: Lopez could develop into another Miguel Tejada with the lumber. He's very young, and he has outstandings tools. You should be excited about him.
    "You're drunk again. No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
    Peter Griffin

Turn Off Ads?