Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Ben Sheets in 2010?

Ben Sheets in 2010?

I read that Ben Sheets would be ready to come back in 2010 could he be a helpful pitcher or forget him cause we have other choices.
    Last edited by BEETTLEBUG; 10-23-2009 at 09:59 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Pitching

You can never have enough pitching.

Secondly, the Reds will never fork out the money for a Sabathia, Peavy, etc. They will at most, afford a Harang and Arroyo type pitchers........#3 type pitchers. They will need to develop their future starters, not sign them through free agency.

But......it seems that for the first time in a long time, the pitching situation is looking better with Arroyo, Harang, Cueto, a recovering Volquez (hopefully he returns to form down the road), Bailey, Owings, Maloney, Lehr, Travis Wood, Jukich, Ramon Ramirez, Leake, Boxberger.............

Re: Pitching

Hope they make a trade for Francisco Liriano, he pitch really bad last year and his trade value is low, this kid has potential maybe a change of team will help him

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: Ben Sheets in 2010?

Sheets seems pretty expensive and he is always hurt
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Sheets seems pretty expensive and he is always hurt
    yeah maybe offer him a contract with little money, and if he pitches more than 180 innings raise his paycheck

If Sheets would take a one year deal for $4-5 MM, I'd consider signing him up. I don't know that he'd sign that kind of a deal, but with the current economic environment and the fact that he didn't play at all last year, it's possible that he might not get a much better offer. When healthy, he's an ace type pitcher, and with Volquez out for at least the first half of next year, I wouldn't mind having Sheets to hold down the fort until Volquez can return. With that said, I very much doubt that it happens.

I look for another St.Louis reclaimation project. Then they will speaking of them being a great organization. Carpenter, Ankiel, blah, blah blah!

So anyway, Sheets to the Cards.

We can't afford the guys whos stocks are high, so we're gonna have to sign the reclaimations projects and hope we can turn them around. I'd look at Fransisco Liriano and Justin Dushcherer for starters.
    Reds 2010 NL Central Champs

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Sabowned View Post
    We can't afford the guys whos stocks are high, so we're gonna have to sign the reclaimations projects and hope we can turn them around. I'd look at Fransisco Liriano and Justin Dushcherer for starters.
    It's a tough sell to unload Harang or Arroyo's contract to sign Sheets for a reasonable amount (he is a reclamation right now), but perhaps moving Cordero would make it possible. Sheets was a top 10 pitcher for a few years. He's a stud.

While we can't afford the CC's, Peavy's and Webb's of the world. I also don't think we can afford the Sheet's and Smotlz's of the world either. As an organization, we can't spend money on pitchers who we can't count on giving us atleast 150-180 innings. The Reds can't take the same chances the Redsox can take.
    Whoever wants to know the heart and mind of America had better learn baseball - Jacques Barzun

Turn Off Ads?