Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Steve Phillips Enters Rehab For Sex Addiction

Re: Steve Phillips Enters Rehab For Sex Addiction

Quote Originally Posted by paxTV View Post

There is also a difference between a female poster making the complaint for herself and a male poster making the complaint on the behalf of the entire female community of Redszone. The first scenario is a woman asserting herself and I doubt any male on Redszone would be bold enough not to respect that, and the second scenario is a man telling other men what he thinks all women on Redszone must feel according to his judgment. And as you see, there will be people ready and willing to point out the silliness of such a statement. I am 100% confident if 1 female poster had said "I'm a woman and this thread makes me feel uncomfortable" all the talk would have stopped. Redszone isn't as callous of a wasteland as it is often painted to be. There are many threads were the same people fooling around in here show tact and offer support to others who have lost jobs and are suffering health problems.

There have been plenty of female posters, many who have been around this board since 2000, who have said they don't like this kind of talk, hence the ban on posting "Hot Chicks" threads. Unfortunately, many of them got tired of dealing with it and have left. I haven't been there lately, but I'm sure if you checked out the Peanut Gallery, you might find some of those female posters and they'll be more than happy to give you their thoughts. But you aren't going to see many posts here because they've already left.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I understand. I suppose my main point is that if female posters were given the freedom to make objections themselves without and before concerned male posters jumped at the chance to represent oppressed women everywhere, these issues would go away a lot easier, and the women wouldn't have had to leave in the first place. I know I wouldn't want to post in a place where my gender was objectified but I also wouldn't want to post in a place where I was treated as incapable of speaking up for myself. I mean, I am guilty of it too in my posts, but perhaps the very fact that female posters are referred to as "female posters" and "daughters and wives" might have contributed to why they don't post anymore. Purely on speculation I would say it makes sense to think that the most confident and content 'female posters' on Redszone are those who have never made their gender an issue and who ignore stupid threads like this.

Also I want to commend the people on the last few pages of this thread for discussing this without name calling or making threats. I hope we can continue to discuss this "idea" as Eleanor Roosevelt would call it without this thread being closed and our dialogue and opinions/thoughts being prematurely cut off.
    Last edited by paxTV; 10-29-2009 at 08:42 PM.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

"You gotta shake hands with yer feelings in the wicked sensitive crew!"--Dropkick Murphy's
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

I can only think of one female who regularly posted here and now has decided not to and her reason was the constant negativity and whining that goes on around here. I'd say her second reason could very well apply to what's going on in this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    There have been plenty of female posters, many who have been around this board since 2000, who have said they don't like this kind of talk, hence the ban on posting "Hot Chicks" threads. Unfortunately, many of them got tired of dealing with it and have left. I haven't been there lately, but I'm sure if you checked out the Peanut Gallery, you might find some of those female posters and they'll be more than happy to give you their thoughts. But you aren't going to see many posts here because they've already left.
    I joined this board in 2003, used to post all the time (about baseball, even), and now I drop in to 1. read about baseball, 2. comment on things like movies, video games, etc. I personally feel like I've been "battling" this kind of talk since I joined here, and it is one of the reasons I've mostly quit posting, especially about baseball. Why am I going to waste time discussing a subject I love with people who obviously view women as "whats," as something less than just people? It's not worth it. As much as I think RZ can be a great source, putting up with such attitudes is not something I do. Thankfully, baseball can be discussed with anyone, anywhere. Not just on RZ.

(And for what it's worth, I haven't been on the Peanut Gallery in a couple months now either, for similar reasons.)

I'm glad to see at least some people in this thread recognize what is really being said and implied, and calling others out for it.

And for goodness' sake, can't any one of you guys complaining about this girl's looks fathom for one second that maybe Phillips found her attractive? Or that some other quality of hers is attractive to him? Seriously, you couldn't sound more shallow.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

There have been plenty of female posters, many who have been around this board since 2000, who have said they don't like this kind of talk
    Speaking as a male, who can blame them?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by RosieRed View Post
    I joined this board in 2003, used to post all the time (about baseball, even), and now I drop in to 1. read about baseball, 2. comment on things like movies, video games, etc. I personally feel like I've been "battling" this kind of talk since I joined here, and it is one of the reasons I've mostly quit posting, especially about baseball. Why am I going to waste time discussing a subject I love with people who obviously view women as "whats," as something less than just people? It's not worth it. As much as I think RZ can be a great source, putting up with such attitudes is not something I do. Thankfully, baseball can be discussed with anyone, anywhere. Not just on RZ.

(And for what it's worth, I haven't been on the Peanut Gallery in a couple months now either, for similar reasons.)

I'm glad to see at least some people in this thread recognize what is really being said and implied, and calling others out for it.

And for goodness' sake, can't any one of you guys complaining about this girl's looks fathom for one second that maybe Phillips found her attractive? Or that some other quality of hers is attractive to him? Seriously, you couldn't sound more shallow.
    The only thing that could be remotely attractive about her would be her personality, but after reading the letter she sent to Steve's wife, I highly doubt there's anything attractive about her in any sense.

I honestly do feel partially sorry for the girl, b/c I'm sure Steve led her on, got what he wanted, and then she realized all she was to Steve.

Man this board is soft sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    Man this board is soft sometimes.
    In the head, yes.

This thread has been a real treat to greet my return from vacation. And yet, here I am trying to mince my words at how to respond to this filth. So let's go with this:

If you want to objectify women at RedsZone, you are not welcome here.
    As Pedro said, this is not your locker room. Act accordingly, or get out.

This thread is closed. This decision is mine and mine only. If that means I'm "censoring", then so be it. But it also means that I'm not going to allow misogyny to roost here. Write me a nastygram if you don't like it.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Turn Off Ads?