Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motorist Convicted of Assault and Other Charges After Run in with Cyclists

Motorist Convicted of Assault and Other Charges After Run in with Cyclists

Here's a story that's been followed pretty heavily by cyclists here in the city of Armstrong, I mean Austin.

When I first moved here I almost hit Lance Armstrong when he was training for the Tour. He turned in front of me on a red light and I made a smart alec comment about it being Lance, and then as he went in front of me he looked at me and I said "Son of a B that is Lance Armstrong." And then I noticed his security detail following close behind him in a large black Tahoe.

Anyway, here's the story.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lano...ling-case.html

Physician convicted in cycling case
    November 2, 2009 | 3:52 pm
    A physician accused of deliberately injuring two cyclists by slamming on his car’s brakes on a narrow Brentwood road last year was convicted Monday of assault with a deadly weapon, mayhem and other serious criminal charges.

The three-week trial of Dr. Christopher Thompson drew close attention from cyclists, many of whom viewed the case as a test of the justice system’s commitment to protecting cyclists.

Thompson, wearing a dark blue suit, bowed his head as the verdicts were read. He faces a possible prison term.

Prosecutors alleged that on July 4, 2008, Thompson stopped his car after passing the two cyclists and shouting at them to ride single-file. One cyclist ran face-first into the rear windshield of the doctor’s red Infiniti, breaking his front teeth and nose, and leaving his face scarred. The other was sent hurtling to the sidewalk and suffered a separated shoulder.

A police officer testified that Thompson told him soon after the accident that the cyclists had cursed at him and flipped him off, so he slammed on his brakes “to teach them a lesson.”

Thompson, a veteran emergency room physician, testified that he had never meant to hurt any of the cyclists. He said he and other residents were upset at unsafe cycling by some riders along Mandeville Canyon Road, a winding, five-mile residential street that has become an increasingly popular route for cyclists. But they had struggled to identify problem riders.

Thompson told jurors that he stopped his car so that he could take a photo of the cyclists he had overtaken and believed he had left enough room for them.

Prosecutors alleged Thompson had a history of run-ins with bikers, including a similar episode four months before the 2008 collision, when two cyclists told police that the doctor tried to run them off the road and braked hard in front of them. Neither of the riders was injured.
    I don't want to say I'm on the Dr's side, but if you were in a car and someone locks up their brakes in front of you and you run into the back of them aren't you at fault for following too close? I know people who get angry and lock up their brakes in front of a car, which is stupid and doing it in front of a bike is even more stupid.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: Motorist Convicted of Assault and Other Charges After Run in with Cyclists

The problem I see around my house is that people don't have the slightest bit of respect for a cyclist's right to use the same road. I live in Forest Park and had a close call last year. I was coming down Kemper and needed to make a left turn to get to my street. I was coming down a grade and going a pretty good clip. I threw out a hand signal for my upcoming turn and started to brake. Right as I was going into the turn, a car shot over and passed me on the left side. I was turning and the idiot couldn't just slow down for a couple seconds and he almost hit me. I hear people yelling at me to use the sidewalk, etc.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I don't want to say I'm on the Dr's side, but if you were in a car and someone locks up their brakes in front of you and you run into the back of them aren't you at fault for following too close?
    Actually, no, the doctor would be liable. It all comes down to the intent, though.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    The problem I see around my house is that people don't have the slightest bit of respect for a cyclist's right to use the same road. I live in Forest Park and had a close call last year. I was coming down Kemper and needed to make a left turn to get to my street. I was coming down a grade and going a pretty good clip. I threw out a hand signal for my upcoming turn and started to brake. Right as I was going into the turn, a car shot over and passed me on the left side. I was turning and the idiot couldn't just slow down for a couple seconds and he almost hit me. I hear people yelling at me to use the sidewalk, etc.
    Cincinnati has been slow to accept bikes a part of the road brigade, my buddy is constantly harassed and had stuff thrown at him by drivers, for about 15 years now.

Even here in the land of bikes issues still arise, that said.. riding on the sidewalk is not an option, but pretending you have the clout that a car as is also not an option either.

Bicycles and pedestrians apparently are foreign modes of travel here in the leafy burbs. If you aren't in an SUV, you don't exist and need to fend for yourself while on streets, paths, and sidewalks.

Biking is an adventure. Usually, people are in a great hurry getting kids to soccer practice, going to work, going to the grocery, etc etc and the fact doesn't even dawn on most people that there might be something other than a motorized out and about. I've written letters to city and township officials asking for more signage or an awareness program or something.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Respect goes two ways. I see lots of bikers (from casual to competitive) break all sorts of road rules.

That said, I love to saddle up and ride around, but I won't do it anywhere except on a trail, bike path, or in my immediate neighborhood. I see too many people on any given day driving like fools and I'm not comfortable with my bike against a motorized vehicle. That is obviously tougher for those that like to race, or ride to work.

GL
    Last edited by gonelong; 11-04-2009 at 01:02 PM.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I don't have a problem with cyclists, but I agree with the guy in this story on this point: Ride single file when you're on a road with no bike pathes.

Nothing is more aggrevating, as a driver, than getting stuck behind a pack of 10-20 cyclists who are bunched up, riding 4-5 across and taking up the entire road at speeds well below the limit on the road. It's especially dangerous on windy roads, where there are very few opportunities for a driver to pass safely in the oncoming lane. Respect the fact that not everyone is out for a leisurely drive and might have somewhere to be that is inconvenienced by being forced to do 15 MPH in a 45 MPH zone.

Oh yeah, and unless you're riding competitively, lose the form-fitting getup. You look ridiculous in it.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

The problem I have with bikers in Columbus is that they travel whichever path is most convinent to them. If you're gonna ride on the road, follow the damn rules of the road, just because you're on a bycicle doesn't mean you can fly through a 4 way stop when you're riding on the road. Especially if there is a sidewalk.

I work downtown at the Newport Music Hall, and I see all kinds of stupidity from byciclists, and I'm really getting tired of having to slam on my brakes because some jack** wants to go from riding on the sidewalk to riding down the middle of the street because the sidewalk has become conjested (sp?) infront of him.

That's my rant.
    Let's make some noise!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post

Oh yeah, and unless you're riding competitively, lose the form-fitting getup. You look ridiculous in it.
    But make sure the stuff you wear is made up out of the same stuff, it doesn't weigh ya down with sweat.

I've become an avid bike rider (commuter) of late. Generally speaking I follow road rules. I stop at red lights unless it is a ridiculously long light and there are no cars around. I stop at stop signs if it is a busy road or I can't see who's coming. If it is a 4-way stop and there is absolutely nobody around, I blow through-mostly to save the energy of restarting. If cars are around at all or I'm going to be in a place to encounter cars, I'm very careful and respect the road.

I haven't had too much trouble. The other day a truck honked loudly right as he passed - just a guy being a turd. Once I almost got hit by a dump truck as he was turning right on red (I was going through the intersection on green) and talking on his cell phone!

Overall, it is all about respect and safety. If everyone uses common sense* there is no problem.

*and therein lies the problem.

My experiences with bikers tend to be that they want respect from cars but dont care to give a car any respect.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    My experiences with bikers tend to be that they want respect from cars but dont care to give a car any respect.
    That's probably true 10% of the time, the other 90% are afraid of getting run over, and they should be cars are pretty brutal.

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/storie...38b4e.html?npc

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    That's probably true 10% of the time, the other 90% are afraid of getting run over, and they should be cars are pretty brutal.

http://www.kgw.com/news-local/storie...38b4e.html?npc
    Like i said its my experiences, but how can I disagree with your percentages!

I'm thinking of riding my bike to work. I know I can get down to the ferry to take me to the island, but I'm not sure if I would be able to get back up the hills in San Diego. I might try it out one of these days. Maybe take the bus/tram on the way back.

47.3% of stats are made up on the spot.

Turn Off Ads?