Thread: Brady or Manning?

Re: Brady or Manning?

The NFL's fixed, Belicheck is in on it.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Anyone else see that Patriots assistant coach shove that cameraman down on the ground as he and Belicheck ran off the field?
    Did he take his lunch money too?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I love the call. Absolutely love it. It didn't work out, but it showed why Bill Belichick is one of the greatest coaches in NFL history -- he has no fear in him on the sidelines. He plays his game, he calls his game, and be damned the "book" and be damned the critics who will Monday Morning Quarterback this for months.

He needed two yards, and he trusted the one of the best (if not the best) QBs to make the throw to win the game. He could've played it safe, but he put himself *personally* on the line and went for the W.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I love the call. Absolutely love it. It didn't work out, but it showed why Bill Belichick is one of the greatest coaches in NFL history -- he has no fear in him on the sidelines. He plays his game, he calls his game, and be damned the "book" and be damned the critics who will Monday Morning Quarterback this for months.

He needed two yards, and he trusted the one of the best (if not the best) QBs to make the throw to win the game. He could've played it safe, but he put himself *personally* on the line and went for the W.
    I admire him for it, but I think it was a stupid decision. You can't take the chance on letting Manning have to only go 30 yards for the winning touchdown. At least make him go the length of the field.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I admire him for it, but I think it was a stupid decision. You can't take the chance on letting Manning have to only go 30 yards for the winning touchdown. At least make him go the length of the field.
    I guess -- but was there any doubt watching this game that Manning was going to win, from any distance, if he had 2 minutes AND a time out to work with?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I guess -- but was there any doubt watching this game that Manning was going to win, from any distance, if he had 2 minutes AND a time out to work with?
    LOL absolutely not. Heck, even when it was 31-14, I knew better than to turn the game off knowing Manning was likely to bring them back. In fact, I almost expected it.

Surreal finish.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

One of the craziest decisions in the history of modern football...really. You don't even take the chance. You play the percentages. You make the Colts go 60-65 yards to win...not 29 yards. The defense got punked .
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I must admit, I fully expected my Manning vote to bring him closer to Brady..... only to find out everyone seems to be on board with my thinking.

The Patriots won 11 games last year without Brady. He is not as integral to his team's success. He is a stud surrounded by studs and a genius coach.

I don't think the Colts would even break .500 if Manning went down. He literally carries that team to success.

Yup, I'm in agreement. I'm trying to defend it but everyone just assumes that you should PUNT every single time. What were the chances Peyton would've came back and won it anyway? ALl they needed was 2 yards. . and they got it. . he just juggled it. It is why he's one of the GOAT coaches.

You win some and you lose some. . . this time he lost. Oh well. The Pats ran up close to 500 yards on the #1 defense in the NFL (Well, used to be #1.)

I think the decision by Belicheck was one of fear of given the ball back to Manning. I think he decided that if Manning got the ball back at all, they couldn't stop him. The Belicheck of just a few years ago would have not been afraid of that situation because he knew he could stop him. That wasn't a bold decision, it was a scared one. He had no confidence in his defense.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I agree with that. I'm a Colts fan.....and I was sick to my stomach the whole game because I KNEW we were getting outplayed and probably going to lose. BB gave us the window, we took it.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    The Patriots won 11 games last year without Brady. He is not as integral to his team's success. He is a stud surrounded by studs and a genius coach.

I don't think the Colts would even break .500 if Manning went down. He literally carries that team to success.
    .500? They'd be the Rams or the Browns. The D is mediocre, and Reggie Wayne is really their only playmaker. Clark, Collie, Garcon and the rest are products of Peyton's awesomeness. THAT is why he should be the MVP every single year, and probably the best to ever play.

If Indy had even a passable defense, instead of one of the worst in the league from 2001-2004, Manning would have 2 or 3 rings by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Brady's always had a defense and usually a running game. The Colts have no running game and Marvin Harrison was pretty great but he never made up for mistakes the way that Moss does. I wonder how much we'd think the offensive talent of the Colts was great if they didn't have Manning.
    I'm not arguing how great Peyton Manning is, trust me on that. One of the best EVER, clearly.

But the Pats haven't always had a running game. Antoine Smith was carrying the load there for a while, and he was anything but very good. And the Colts with Manning have had Edge James, and Addai was a very good running back also up until recently.

But really, this argument is silly. It's splitting hairs. They are both incredible quarterbacks and are head and shoulders above everyone else IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by DTCromer View Post
    Yup, I'm in agreement. I'm trying to defend it but everyone just assumes that you should PUNT every single time. What were the chances Peyton would've came back and won it anyway? ALl they needed was 2 yards. . and they got it. . he just juggled it. It is why he's one of the GOAT coaches.

You win some and you lose some. . . this time he lost. Oh well. The Pats ran up close to 500 yards on the #1 defense in the NFL (Well, used to be #1.)
    That's a mirage. They're #1 in points allowed, but in other defensive stats they're pretty middle of the road and they're only that high because they haven't really played anybody.

But yeah, the Pats beat them like a dog who soiled the carpet for most of the game.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Turn Off Ads?