Thread: Brady or Manning?

Re: Brady or Manning?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    A billion? That's a lot.
    More like a million

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

This poll has not aged well. For the record, I would have gotten it wrong too.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    This poll has not aged well. For the record, I would have gotten it wrong too.
    Especially those guys on the first page saying Carson Palmer
    Go Gators!

5. Likes:

cincinnati chili (01-05-2023)

Hornung!

Packers coach Vince Lombardi stated that Hornung was "the greatest player I ever coached."

In the 1956 season he led his team offensively in passing, rushing, scoring, kickoff and punt returns, and punting. He also played defense, led in passes broken up, and was second in interceptions and tackles made. In spite of Notre Dame's 2-8 record, Hornung won the Heisman Trophy in 1956 as the year's outstanding U.S. college football player – the only time a player from a losing team has been so honored.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Hornung

He played on teams that won four NFL titles and the first Super Bowl. He is the first Heisman Trophy winner to be selected as the first overall selection in the NFL Draft, play pro football, win the NFL most valuable player award, and be inducted into both the professional and college football halls of fame.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

I was shocked by the results of this poll, then I realized it was from 2009.

I think if you're evaluating rings and longevity, of course Brady wins. But it's not like Peyton was some slouch. He broke many records in a much shorter amount of time than Brady did. He had better offenses to work with but significantly worse defenses on his team.

9. Likes:

dubc47834 (01-12-2023),Revering4Blue (01-12-2023)

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I think if you're evaluating rings and longevity, of course Brady wins. But it's not like Peyton was some slouch. He broke many records in a much shorter amount of time than Brady did. He had better offenses to work with but significantly worse defenses on his team.
    To this day, I am a firm believer if you take both those guys and put them on identical teams, Manning out performs Brady. That's not taking anything away from Brady, but IMO Manning is a better talent.
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

11. Likes:

Danny Serafini (01-12-2023),fearofpopvol1 (01-12-2023),Revering4Blue (01-12-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    To this day, I am a firm believer if you take both those guys and put them on identical teams, Manning out performs Brady. That's not taking anything away from Brady, but IMO Manning is a better talent.
    More than anything, I don't think topping of this thread was the "gotcha" that it was thought to be. It sure wasn't on the level of the 'Wily Mo Pena for Bronson Arroyo' debate.

13. Likes:

dubc47834 (01-13-2023),Revering4Blue (01-12-2023)

Manning was always terrible if you got him outside the pocket. Brady never got blitzed in a playoff game the way Manning did....see J-E-T-S.
    "One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues."

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Manning was always terrible if you got him outside the pocket. Brady never got blitzed in a playoff game the way Manning did....see J-E-T-S.
    Duh...Manning is also one of the most un-athletic all-time greats. He compensated for being able to get rid of the ball fast. My opinion hasn't changed!
    A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor!

I noticed that after posting my thoughts and vote for Hornung, that Vince Lombardi's quote floated around the media that Hornung is the best player he ever saw in his lifetime. I don't think there's been anyone since Hornung that is as good.

Duh...Manning is also one of the most un-athletic all-time greats. He compensated for being able to get rid of the ball fast. My opinion hasn't changed!
    Peyton is the most prepared football player to ever put on a uniform and was equal to Brady at taking advantage of any opportunity the opponent gave his teams. Peyton could be beat if you could remove what he prepared for and put him into a situation where he had to adjust on the fly. But, at the LOS, you're screwed before the ball is snapped. Same with Brady. While Brady had great Offensive Lines because of the Coaching of Belichick and the quick trigger of Brady, Peyton was given pedigree O-Linemen from Day 1 to protect him and Brady's were mostly a mix of late-round draft picks who were constantly being changed from year-to-year. Peyton had the benefit usually of a better Offensive Line and a much better RB. Brady usually got better field position to begin drives, though, as the Pats' Defense was usually much better. The Colts had some years of excellent Defenses, too.

Turn Off Ads?