Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: $583K dome?

Re: $583K dome?

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Is Hacksaw Reynolds still standing at the goal line, daring anyone to try and cross?
    My 5'1" 100 lb trumpet playing daughter will take him on. She's feisty
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?

I thought they tore this down LOL. I went there to the Motor City bowl to see the Herd 3 times..what a dump that place was
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

Pot convention in Silverdome is being moved to different venue.

http://www.detnews.com/article/20101...y-move-to-Cobo

Patch it up and turn the dang place into one serious wicked bachelor pad! yes that is exactly what I would do if I had tons of cash. the partys would be epic and wow a guy could have some serious fun living there lol.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

It was passable as a band and sports venue.

It was cleaned up on the inside with a new inflatable roof put on it. It looked like they had painted the outside. Inside, no scoreboards were operational. No clocks for that matter. They only had 2 concession booths open for a crowd of probably about 5K. In the afternoon sessions, it was well-lit by the daylight. The night time finals were a little dark. The field is well-lit but the stands just caught the light from the field and were dark. And I don't think they turned on the heat. Sweatshirts and jeans were the minimum with lots of folks in jackets.

My daughter said the field turf was very short and not at all like Lucas Oil Stadium or Edward Jones Dome (Mason HS has played those venues plus will be at the Georgia Dome in a few weeks). She said that moving the band from the parking lot through the air lock was a little spooky. And the echo in the place was unbelievable. No acoustics at all.

The parking lot had the feel of an abandoned factory. We had a hotel room across the road from the dome, but we decided to drive over and back. Walking around that area seemed decidedly dicey.

The area around the dome was pretty depressed. Local restaurants were a little hard to find and they were very glad to see us. Driving through downtown Detroit was a real eye-opener. Pretty devastated looking.

But the best part was Mason HS marching band won their first ever Bands of America Regional. We've been doing marching band for 9 years now and this was the first time we'd won an event of this magnitude. I was thrilled beyond belief and the kids and staff were ecstatic. It completely took the sting off the Reds' losses for me. I have a big long story about this competition but won't bore you guys with it.

Pontiac, MI
    October 9, 2010
    Silverdome
    Finals Results

■78.65 William Mason H.S., OH
    ■78.60 Plymouth-Canton Educ. Park H.S., MI
    ■75.15 West Bloomfield H.S., MI
    ■72.35 Walled Lake Central H.S., MI
    ■71.70 Lake Park H.S., IL
    ■70.90 Lake Orion H.S., MI
    ■70.85 Reeths-Puffer H.S., MI
    ■68.65 Victor J. Andrew H.S., IL
    ■68.60 Carroll H.S., IN
    ■68.55 Jenison H.S., MI

■Outstanding Music Performance - William Mason H.S., OH
    ■Outstanding Visual Performance - Plymouth-Canton Educ. Park H.S., MI
    ■Outstanding General Effect - Plymouth-Canton Educ. Park H.S., MI

7. Likes:

M2 (11-19-2023)

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

■78.65 William Mason H.S., OH
    ■78.60 Plymouth-Canton Educ. Park H.S., MI
    ■75.15 West Bloomfield H.S., MI
    ■72.35 Walled Lake Central H.S., MI
    ■71.70 Lake Park H.S., IL
    ■70.90 Lake Orion H.S., MI
    ■70.85 Reeths-Puffer H.S., MI
    ■68.65 Victor J. Andrew H.S., IL
    ■68.60 Carroll H.S., IN
    ■68.55 Jenison H.S., MI

■Outstanding Music Performance - William Mason H.S., OH
    ■Outstanding Visual Performance - Plymouth-Canton Educ. Park H.S., MI
    ■Outstanding General Effect - Plymouth-Canton Educ. Park H.S., MI
    Wow, well done taking out PCEP--that is very impressive! Good for Mason.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Wow, well done taking out PCEP--that is very impressive! Good for Mason.
    Someone knows marching band!!!

All right, I'll post my story sent to a good friend...

=====================================

Mason winning was one of the coolest moments of the last 15-20 years of my life.

Our main competitor was Plymouth-Canton Educational Park (PCEP). The reason for that long handle is that it is actually 3 large high schools (Plymouth, Canton, Salem) that are on one campus. They have over 6000 kids and the marching band is a try-out kind of thing and difficult to make. They are very talented, well-taught, great kids, great staff, and a perennial grand national finalist and they've won grand nationals 3 times. Probably one of the top 10 bands in the country and a formidable opponent. We just hope to come close.

The way these competitions run is that there are about 30+ bands that play during the day. They are divided into 4 classes, A, AA, AAA, and AAAA (depends on school size). After the 30 bands play in the afternoon, they award class champions for each of the 4 classes plus best music, best visual, and best overall effect for all 4 classes. After that, they name the top 10 bands that play again that night to determine overall grand champion.

So, all the bands play, PCEP plays and they look great and Mason plays and we look great. Its a long day and it comes to class champion awards at 4:15. PCEP wins both music and visual for AAAA, but shockingly, Mason and PCEP tie for general effect. We were ecstatic this happened because it means we're very close (GE is a combination of music and vusal). Then they award AAAA class champions and its PCEP and we're second. But that's great because we are very close so we're very happy with this.

So, we come back to the dome that night and the 10 finals bands play. PCEP plays 8th and we play 9th. PCEP puts on a great show and we come out and play a great show. All of us Mason fans are happy because we are at least in the conversation as to who is best. But we really think PCEP will win just because of reputation.

You also have to understand that there are about 2000-3000 PCEP fans there (plymouth-canton is about 10 miles away) and maybe 50-75 Mason fans. A hardy few. The crowd is overwhelmingly PCEP plus most of the other bands are from Michigan as well so needless to say, an Ohio band is not a favorite.

So, they announce caption winners. Best visual is PCEP. The place goes crazy with all the PCEP fans. Best music is awarded. its Mason. waaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!!! Our hardy little bunch goes bananas. We won a caption outright!!!! That alone made the evening. And then overall effect gets awarded and its PCEP but that's ok, we got one of the three captions and that is a huge deal.

So, then they announce the results starting at #10 and counting down to #1 the winner. I figure we are at least in the top 3 so Im not really worried for places #10-#5. So they get down the last 3. They announce #3 and its West Bloomfield (another excellent band) and I'm like phew, we're in the top 2 so I'm happy no matter what happens.

At this point, I fully expect PCEP to win. I can't say we played better than they did but I can darn sure say we played as well. And PCEP is a big national band and Mason is still trying to make a name for ourselves. So its time for #2 and I steel myself to hear "and second places goes to William Mason marching band" and the PCEP fans to go bonkers and I'm mentally practicing my speech to my daughter about how this is a great step forward.

So the PA guy says "and, with a score of 78.60, second places goes to <....... eternal pause .......> Plymouth-Canton Educational Park!".

Silence.

For about 2 seconds, you could hear a pin drop. The PCEP fans are stunned. We look at each other and go "what? WHAT??? oh my god, oh my god, OH MY GOD, WE WON!!!!! HOLY <expletive> WE WON!!! WE WON!!!!". Us little band of Mason fans go berserk. The rest of the whole freakin' dome is sitting on their hands in silence and we're leaping around hugging and high-fiving and going totally ape.

And then we realize we've broken a cardinal rule of marching band which is "respect thy opponent". So I have to tell everyone to shut up and sit down. Plymouth-Canton gets their 2nd trophy and we all clap.

And then PA announcer says "and, with a score of 78.65 ..." <and a groan comes from the PCEP fans because they realize they lost by an eyelash of .05> William Mason marching band!!!". We erupt again and the kids on the field go bananas and the PCEP fans (to their credit) warmly applaud.

So the fans all file out and we are standing there still stunned. Again, to PCEP's credit, many of their fans stopped by us and told us "great show" and congratulations and shook hands with us and patted us on the back. I've only got nice things to say about them. All marching band parents know the amount of time and effort that goes into these shows. We mostly just babble away because we really don't know how to act after winning something like that and frankly we're just shocked.

So they dismiss all the other bands from the field and turn the field over to Mason to celebrate. The dome is empty except for us. Lots and lots of pictures are taken, daughter Lizzy is half crying/half laughing and is pretty overwhelmed by emotion. Most of the other kids are that same way. They take formation and play the music from their show again (without marching). Pretty impressive to hear from 20 feet away with gorgeous playing with much emotion. Then Mr. Bass (head director) tells the seniors to dismiss their band. So they do the same cheer they dismiss each practice with only this time the roar is so loud, it fills the stadium. Just awesome. I still get choked up just thinking about it.

There isn't enough money in the world to pay for moments like these. Just all very cool and I've never been so proud of a bunch of kids (and my kid) in my life.

I don't know marching band stuff from the man in the moon but that was a great story,Roy! Thanks for taking the time to tell us.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Awesome story, Roy. Thanks for sharing, and congratulations.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

So, as a Mason marching band coda, BOA Grand Nationals are being held at the Lucas Oil Stadium this weekend. Semi-finals were this afternoon. Mason HS marching band made nationals finals for the first time in their history.

My now freshman daughter at OSU was in attendance with all of her band friends at the stadium. They all went pretty well crazy. She said it was a little bittersweet since they missed finals last year by .05. But it was her class that showed the way. Before then, it had just been a pipe dream.

Finals order are:

Grand National Finals Schedule

7:45pm – Exhibition: Beechwood, KY
    8:00pm – Marian Catholic, IL
    8:15pm – Owasso, OK
    8:30pm – Broken Arrow, OK
    8:45pm – The Woodlands, TX
    9:00pm – Avon, IN
    9:15pm – Wando, SC
    9:30pm – Lawrence Central, IN
    9:45pm – William Mason, OH
    10:00pm – Union, OK
    10:15pm – Carmel, IN
    10:30pm – Claudia Taylor Johnson, TX
    10:45pm – Lafayette, LA

A few years later....

Mason band continues to move up the BOA food chain. They came in 4th in the 2015 Grand Nationals at Luca Oil Stadium last night. They were 2 points away from first. Most people say they are likely national champs within the next couple years. They are also marching in the Rose Bowl parade this coming New Years Day.
    Finals Results

97.50 - Broken Arrow H.S., OK
    97.00 - Avon H.S., IN
    96.25 - Hebron H.S., TX
    95.35 - William Mason H.S., OH
    94.40 - Carmel H.S., IN
    93.70 - The Woodlands H.S., TX
    93.00 - Round Rock H.S., TX
    90.90 - Marian Catholic H.S., IL
    90.25 - Harrison H.S., GA
    89.10 - Blue Springs H.S., MO
    88.70 - Keller H.S., TX
    88.25 - Homestead H.S., IN

Outstanding Music Performance - Hebron H.S., TX
    Outstanding Visual Performance - Avon H.S., IN and Broken Arrow H.S., OK (TIE)
    Outstanding General Effect - Broken Arrow H.S., OK

15. Likes:

Hoosier Red (11-16-2015),reds1869 (11-25-2015),Redsfaithful (11-16-2015),Revering4Blue (11-17-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    One of the first years the Lions played there,maybe the first year, I watched a game from there and the roof was leaking buckets of water. It must have been a dump from the start.
    (Luxury Suite)

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

17. Likes:

cumberlandreds (11-25-2015)

A few years later…

Mason had some band leadership hiccups but are back in the hunt. Finished 4th nationally. Indiana and Texas bands are hard to beat.

Name:  5AE8FA50-1FFE-42D2-BA53-B2D22AE91872.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  211.8 KB

19. Likes:

Redsfaithful (11-13-2022)

I honestly thought they tore that place down. Half mil sounds like a good deal... but bringing an MLS team seems a bit far off. Some cool things have been done with giant spaces like this. They turned a giant pyramid in Memphis into a Bass Pro Shops and I love seeing stuff like that.

Turn Off Ads?