Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Astros Reach Deal with Brett Myers

Astros Reach Deal with Brett Myers

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Astros reach deal with Myers
    Right-hander ready to join rotation, pending a physical

01/08/10 9:03 PM EST

HOUSTON -- The Astros made a surprise move to upgrade their starting pitching rotation, agreeing to a contract with right-hander Brett Myers, who started at least 30 games in all but one season for the Phillies from 2003-08.

Myers was 73-63 with a 4.40 ERA and 21 saves in eight years with Philadelphia. He went 4-3 with a 4.84 ERA in 18 games last year, including 10 starts, but missed most of the season after undergoing hip surgery. The deal won't be announced until Myers completes a physical.

Astros general manager Ed Wade wouldn't comment on Myers, but sources told MLB.com the two sides had reached a one-year deal for $5 million with an option for 2011.

The Astros were believed to have been done making major acquisitions following the Winter Meetings after trimming payroll to nearly $95 million from last year's club-record $107 million, but the club will stretch it with the signing of Myers.

Myers, 29, started three Opening Days for the Phils and recorded the final out in the 2007 regular season, which helped Philadelphia clinch its first National League East championship since 1993. He also helped Philly win the '08 World Series.

Myers' injured right hip which he suffered in May required surgery in late June. The righty rejoined the team in September as a relief pitcher, but strained his right latissimus dorsi muscle and missed more time.

The addition of Myers is a boost to the Astros' rotation, which currently consists of Roy Oswalt, Wandy Rodriguez, Bud Norris, Felipe Paulino and Brian Moehler. Myers likely leaves Norris, Paulino and Moehler competing for two spots heading into Spring Training.

As general manager of the Phillies, Wade drafted Myers in the first round of the 1999 First-Year Player Draft. Myers went 14-9 as a starter in his first full season in the Majors in 2003 and went 11-11 in '04. He blossomed in '05, winning 13 games with a career-best 3.72 ERA. In '06, he led Philadelphia in wins, ERA, starts, innings pitched, strikeouts and winning percentage and signed a three-year, $25.75 million contract extension prior to the '07 season.

Myers was moved to the bullpen late in the 2006 season and eventually became the closer, saving 21 games. He went 5-5 with a 2.87 ERA in 48 relief appearances. He returned to the rotation in '08 after the Phillies acquired Brad Lidge and was Philadelphia's Opening Day starter that season, going 10-13 with a 4.55 ERA.

The biggest moves Houston has made this winter have been mostly to bolster its bullpen. It traded for Florida reliever Matt Lindstrom and signed Brandon Lyon to a three-year, $15-million deal at the Winter Meetings. It later added third baseman Pedro Feliz from Philadelphia on a one-year deal.
    The one starting pitcher I wanted the Reds to make a run for was Brett Myers, but unfortunately, a division rival got him. mlbtraderumors says the deal is worth $5MM with an option, which could possibly be a huge bargain for the Astros.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Astros Reach Deal with Brett Myers

He's just a guy I would not want on the Reds given his past. Just my feelings.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I wonder if the Astros will the winner in the "Highest amount paid per victory in 2010" contest.

That team is awful and not getting any younger.

i looked at his numbers from the last couple of years and they are poor. he got $5M from the Astros due to some numbers he put up years ago and the fact that the Astros don't know what they are doing.

Chances are better than even that this signing helps the Reds, IMO.
    Chad D
    Redleg Nation: A Cincinnati Reds Blog, Fan Community, and Therapy Group

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    i looked at his numbers from the last couple of years and they are poor. he got $5M from the Astros due to some numbers he put up years ago and the fact that the Astros don't know what they are doing.
    He went to Houston because of Ed Wade. Simple as that.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Perhaps in Houston they haven't yet passed a law preventing one from slapping around one's wife on a public street then dragging her around by the hair.

http://soxblog.projo.com/2008/10/brett-myers-tal.html
    Stick to your guns.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Houston's in a very big jam right now. The owner is concerned about the budget, but he doesn't have the option of bringing up kids or trading kids for vets to fill out his staff. They've got one of (if not THE) worst farm systems in the bigs. Totally depleted. They just keep getting older and older on the big club and the owner keeps being forced to bring in one-year hired guns to stop the bleeding. Until they decide to strip it down and restock the farm...they're going to be bottom feeders for a while. *whispers* And I freaking love it! :O)

Myers was so elated about finalizing the deal he punched his wife square in the nose.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I see your Brett Myers, and raise you an Ardolis Chapman.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Turn Off Ads?