Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds sent a scout to watch Aroldis Chapman throw

Re: Reds sent a scout to watch Aroldis Chapman throw

If these are true, I wonder why the teams with big pockets have walked away? I acknowledge that might not be true.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    If these are true, I wonder why the teams with big pockets have walked away? I acknowledge that might not be true.
    I was thinking the same thing.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    My guess is the high budget teams are waiting for the small budget teams to make Chapman some offers, which will be fairly low. That will kind of "set the market" for him. Then the Yankees or Red Sox will swoop in and bump it up by a few million and he will accept.

If the Yankees and Red Sox show strong interest from the the beginning it will jack up his financial expectations and end up costing the team more money in the end.

Good idea, AD, and, if so, a great financial move by big pocket teams. Clever.

However, if the Reds nab Chapman, I'm guessing he's the fifth starter by the All Star break. And an absoutely sweet and fun acquisition. Chapman would be a huge gamble, but could pay major dividends especially as a BOR starter (which is my opinion of why the Marlins, A's, and Reds are in it-- they're offering major league contracts).

A week or so ago, I actually dreamed that the Reds signed Chapman. I put it down to my being off my meds.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

MLBTradeRumors.com -

Aroldis Chapman Decision Coming Soon?
    By Mark Polishuk [January 6 at 6:56pm CST]
    6:56pm: Clark Spencer of The Miami Herald tweets that internally, the Marlins have "conceded defeat" in the Chapman sweepstakes.

WEDNESDAY, 3:55pm: At least three teams are out on Chapman: the Astros, Yankees, and Mets (ESPN's Buster Olney via Twitter, and MLB.com's Brian McTaggart).

TUESDAY, 8:48pm: Juan C. Rodriguez of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that the Aroldis Chapman sweepstakes may be nearing a close.* According to Rodriguez, Chapman is saying that he "expects to sign within the next three or four days."* As many as 15 clubs have shown some degree of interest in the Cuban left-hander, including several small-market franchises.*

One such team, the Marlins, are particularly taken with Chapman since they hope that South Florida's large Cuban population will tempt the 21-year-old into signing at something of a hometown discount.* Rodriguez reports that the Marlins have already made a $13MM contract offer to Chapman and have now raised that offer --- a wise move given that the Red Sox have already offered Chapman $15.5MM.

The Marlins' maneuvering may be all for naught, however.* An unnamed source tells Rodriguez that the Angels and Blue Jays seem to be the favorites to sign the Cuban left-hander, and that Chapman will sign with one of the two clubs for "around $21MM."

Quote Originally Posted by redlegsuperstar View Post
    mlbtraderumors.com -
    international draft now!!!!!!!

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    international draft now!!!!!!!
    Agreed.

Is there anything stopping an American kid from travelling overseas to avoid the draft, have teams bid his price up and let him basically choose which team he wants to play for?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Agreed.

Is there anything stopping an American kid from travelling overseas to avoid the draft, have teams bid his price up and let him basically choose which team he wants to play for?
    And play where? The only other league that lends any bit of credibility to it would be the Japanese league. And once you sign with a Japanese league you are under contract and if you want to transfer to the MLB your contract has to be bought out. No American kid is going to toil away in the Mexican league or the Dominican summer league, the money just isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    And play where? The only other league that lends any bit of credibility to it would be the Japanese league. And once you sign with a Japanese league you are under contract and if you want to transfer to the MLB your contract has to be bought out. No American kid is going to toil away in the Mexican league or the Dominican summer league, the money just isn't there.
    Didn't JD Drew essentially sit out a year toiling in the Independent League and then get paid? I'm thinking that is a Strasburg-type prospect went & played in Mexico for a year, his value would remain high.

Didn't JD Drew essentially sit out a year toiling in the Independent League and then get paid? I'm thinking that is a Strasburg-type prospect went & played in Mexico for a year, his value would remain high.
    Drew was drafted by the Phillies and didn't sign. He went to the independent league, played a year, reentered the draft, and was drafted and signed by the Cards.

Do you really want to spend a year playing in Mexico? I mean we aren't talking about the Mexican Riviera, Cozumel, Cancun, etc. Were talking about bus rides across Mexico, playing for peanuts, staying in rat infested hotels, etc.

Drew was drafted by the Phillies and didn't sign. He went to the independent league, played a year, reentered the draft, and was drafted and signed by the Cards.
    Wasn't that some deal with Boras where Philly didn't offer him a deal by a certain deadline and it was some sort of SNAFU?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Wasn't that some deal with Boras where Philly didn't offer him a deal by a certain deadline and it was some sort of SNAFU?
    I think that was Travis Lee.

Do you really want to spend a year playing in Mexico? I mean we aren't talking about the Mexican Riviera, Cozumel, Cancun, etc. Were talking about bus rides across Mexico, playing for peanuts, staying in rat infested hotels, etc.

If it means millions of dollars more and the opportunity to play for the Yanks, Red Sox, etc instead of the Nationals or Royals, then I could see it happening.

If it means millions of dollars more and the opportunity to play for the Yanks, Red Sox, etc instead of the Nationals or Royals, then I could see it happening.

Of course a player could get injured in that time then he'll see bupkis.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?