Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Reds sent a scout to watch Aroldis Chapman throw

Re: Reds sent a scout to watch Aroldis Chapman throw

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    If it means millions of dollars more and the opportunity to play for the Yanks, Red Sox, etc instead of the Nationals or Royals, then I could see it happening.
    Millions more? I am not sure what the requirements are for American born athletes and the amateur draft. But I do know that playing in the Mexican league would be a huge huge risk for any rising star. And its not like top players aren't paid when they are drafted.

My issue is the only other legit/safe league would be in Japan. Playing in a 3rd world country (Mexico) would be a huge security risk if you ask me. I don't think its worth it.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I would think it is similar to the risk Drew took in playing in the Independent League, or a college player takes in returning for a senior season.

Gammons speculates that the Angels will end up landing Aroldis Chapman, pointing to Chapman's connection to Kendry Morales as a possible factor.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

If Noel Arguelles can sign with the Royals then Chapman signing with the Reds is still possible.

From Ken Rosenthal:

Source: #Reds, others on Chapman, but #Jays favorite.

http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statuses/7537254386

If the Reds sign Chapman it will make up for them not doing anything this offseason. Otherwise, it will be a very disappointing offseason.

It's unlikely, but allow me for a minute to dream of a future rotation of Aroldis Chapman, Johnny Cueto, Edinson Volquez, Homer Bailey, and Mike Leake.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    It's unlikely, but allow me for a minute to dream of a future rotation of Aroldis Chapman, Johnny Cueto, Edinson Volquez, Homer Bailey, and Mike Leake.
    Dream on, dreamer!

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I like how we are under the radar.. I'd bet Chapman gets about 4 year $25MM

If the Jays are offering $20MM, I'd offer him $25MM and give him an extra year, or a major league contract, whatever he wants. He's a rare talent.

Good lord, if the Reds sign this guy it would totally redeem Walt's offseason for me. I don't know what I'd do with myself!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Ken Rosenthal:

Source: #Reds, others on Chapman, but #Jays favorite.

http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statuses/7537254386

If the Reds sign Chapman it will make up for them not doing anything this offseason. Otherwise, it will be a very disappointing offseason.
    OH WOW

Why would the Jays be the favorite? Did I miss something?
    Last edited by RedEye; 01-08-2010 at 08:26 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Why would the Jays be the favorite? Did I miss something?
    To answer my own question, here's what MLBTR has to say about it:

5:49pm: Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com tweets that the Reds are in on Chapman, however the Jays remain the favorite. In a second tweet, Rosenthal mentions that Toronto has money to spend after sending Scott Rolen, Alex Rios, and Roy Halladay packing.

4:00pm: Jon Heyman of SI.com tweets that the Blue Jays have a "decent shot" at signing Chapman, now that they appear to have bid over $20MM. He names the Nationals, Marlins, Red Sox, A's and Angels as potential players for the prospect.

12:11pm: As the Aroldis Chapman sweepstakes continue, at least one outlet is reporting that the Blue Jays have made the left-hander a considerable offer. Jorge Ebro of El Nuevo Herald reports that the Jays offered Chapman a $23MM deal (click here for the Miami-based paper's original Spanish story and here for some Drunk Jays Fans analysis).

Ebro reports that the Marlins raised their offer to $16MM, but have now conceded defeat. Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald reported yesterday that the Marlins did not expect to sign Chapman. That leaves the Angels, Red Sox and Blue Jays in pursuit of the Cuban prospect.
    Ah... the irony. Okay, well probably not irony, but still...
    Last edited by RedEye; 01-08-2010 at 08:30 PM.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...30mm-deal.html

Aroldis Chapman Agrees To $30MM Deal?
    By Luke Adams [January 10, 2010 at 11:40am CST]

Aroldis Chapman has agreed to a $30MM with an unknown National League team, according to a tweet from Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports.

The last we heard on Chapman, his main suitors were American League teams (the Angels and Blue Jays) and the largest offer he'd received was around $23MM, so this would qualify as a major surprise.
    I'm not even getting my hopes up.

As I said before, signing Chapman would make up for the Reds not doing anything this offseason, however, there is no way the Reds sign him, IMO. I was thinking maybe it's the Marlins, but Passan's tweet says he is leaving the Ft. Lauderdale airport to sign his contract so that eliminates the Marlins.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 01-10-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Turn Off Ads?