Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad gifts

Bad gifts

With the holidays here I just thought I'd see if anyone has any bad gift stories.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bad gifts

Nothing major, except that I get a call every November from my mom, asking me what I want, and despite explicit instructions on brands, sizes, colors, etc. she consistently goes out and buys something that is altogether uglier, crappier, and usually in the clearance bin at Big Lots.

For instance, if I ask for this:

I will get this:

And yes, it's probably a ladies' coat. Doesn't matter.
    I love my mom, and at this point I'd probably be a little disappointed if she actually got me something I asked for.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    With the holidays here I just thought I'd see if anyone has any bad gift stories.
    Receiving or giving?

Either. And let's include the wacky gifts too.

One year my brother got Mcdonald's Dollars from our Aunt. And not just sent through the mail so he would open them on Christmas morning in front of just our immediate family.

No, this was our entire family gift exchange. It was supposed to be a $20 gift, nothing too big. We do this thing where the gifts are opened one at a time out in front of the whole family. So he unwrapped twenty Mcdonald's Dollars in front of 50+ family members. He was 15 or 16, he didn't do a very good job of hiding his displeasure. That was a great Christmas.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 12-18-2009 at 10:34 AM.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

a model car display case

to this day I have never put together a model car.

I got my finger cut off working at a paper press, then, that got Iso-Toner gloves from my parents for Christmas.

Not a Christmas gift, but, for my 16th birthday, I got a Kentucky (I Heart Kentucky, in pink on a light blue background) T-shirt three sizes too small (children's L, not adult) from my grandmother.

Sigh.

Nate gave me wind blast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Not me, but my fiance last year for christmas got a box of silverware from her grandmother. Normally this wouldn't be so bad... but this was a shoebox full of randomly put together used silverware not from any particular set.

As a teen, I wanted a leather jacket. So one Christmas my mom went out and bought me a nice leather bomber jacket. . .from Lane Bryant. Just what a 135 lb. teenage boy wants for Christmas, a leather jacket from a store for plus-sized women.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I got my finger cut off working at a paper press, then, that got Iso-Toner gloves from my parents for Christmas.

Sigh.
    Man, that is sublime. It may be the greatest gag gift ever.

I got an electric razor from my grandmother about two years before I had any whiskers. My brother said my embarrassment was a beautiful thing for him to watch.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    As a teen, I wanted a leather jacket. So one Christmas my mom went out and bought me a nice leather bomber jacket. . .from Lane Bryant. Just what a 135 lb. teenage boy wants for Christmas, a leather jacket from a store for plus-sized women.
    But you could grow into it!

I gave Ltlabner a gas can autographed by Eric Milton.

My mother used to assemble an assortment of clearance items from BigLots. Stuff like cheeses, crackers, summer sausage, mustards, house hold items, etc. She'd toss in some things like pickled mushrooms, or garlic infused oil and if you moved that year (for example) there might be some tools or something in it. It was just a big "grab bag" of stuff. She'd put hours into it and was so proud to give it to us.

The first problem is that my parents are smokers so the entire package reeked of smoke. The paper, the gifts, everything. Totally nasty. We'd have to leave the thing in the garage for a week before we could stand to do anything with it.

Secondly, because the items were usually Big-Lots cast offs they were things you wouldn't want to eat anyway. One time I checked the date on some nacho cheese dip and it was well past the expired stage.

Lastly, Mom was so proud and enjoyed it so much that it was entirely 100% uncomfortable because she'd make a huge production about going into the other room to get "the box" and presenting it to you. You'd have to sit there and pretend you cared as you rummaged around looking for the next crappiest thing. Each item was individually wrapped to prolong the misery.

It's a tradition that I'm glad has died out.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    I gave Ltlabner a gas can autographed by Eric Milton.
    Nate gave me some Willy Tavaras autographed P.J.s

The love is amazing.

Turn Off Ads?