Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 'Spider-Man 4' scrapped; reboot planned

'Spider-Man 4' scrapped; reboot planned

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...88f148eaee3ac2

Columbia has scrapped "Spider-Man 4" and is rebooting its Spider-Man film franchise.

The studio is parting ways with director Sam Raimi and "Spider-Man" stars Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst and is taking the webslinger's alter ego, Peter Parker, back to high school.

The new movie, which will still be produced by Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin and Marvel Studios, is eyeing a release in summer 2012.

The news of the reboot follows weeks of script problems in which the studio was at loggerheads with Raimi over which villains to use in the movie. The clashes were kept mostly under radar but last week erupted into the public when it became clear that the studio was not going to meet its start date and subsequently its May 6, 2011, release date.

Columbia and Raimi put on a unified front Monday when making the announcement they were parting.

"A decade ago we set out on this journey with Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire, and together we made three Spider-Man films that set a new bar for the genre. When we began, no one ever imagined that we would make history at the boxoffice, and now we have a rare opportunity to make history once again with this franchise.

"Peter Parker as an ordinary young adult grappling with extraordinary powers has always been the foundation that has made this character so timeless and compelling for generations of fans. We're very excited about the creative possibilities that come from returning to Peter's roots and we look forward to working once again with Marvel Studios, Avi Arad and Laura Ziskin on this new beginning," Sony Pictures co-chairman Amy Pascal said in a statement.

Said Raimi: "Working on the Spider-Man movies was the experience of a lifetime for me. While we were looking forward to doing a fourth one together, the studio and Marvel have a unique opportunity to take the franchise in a new direction, and I know they will do a terrific job."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 'Spider-Man 4' scrapped; reboot planned

I was really hoping for some Kraven in Spider Man 4. Can't say I am in love with the franchise doing a reboot at this point.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Why do I have a funny feeling the SpiderMan franchise is about to get a bit of a Twilight feel to it? Though the third installment was a bit drab, I liked the direction the franchise was taking.

Back to HS? What the heck for? The early comic did not stay in HS for longer than what? the first 15 issues.

Lame.

How about they just stop trying to continue a story because it's too hard, and just do the origin story over and over again for all movie franchises.

Lame.
    Go Gators!

The twilight theme sounds about right...... They can use Morbius as the villain and have Spidey grow extra arms. It always drove me crazy that I could never find Spider Man #100 in the late 70's. Had 91-99 and 101-159 but never could get my hands on #100.

Ugh. Sam Raimi was the perfect director for Spider Man.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

This sucks
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Spiderman Begins?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Back to HS? What the heck for? The early comic did not stay in HS for longer than what? the first 15 issues.
    Just like Twilight, they want it to appeal to the young crowd more.

What horrible news. This has disaster written all over it. What a poor decision by the Studio. I really felt Raimi would rebound strongly from the underwhelming Spider-Man 3.

This is keeping in line with OMD and BND where they ret conned Peter's marriage to MJ out of continuity. I haven't read much since as they have kind of ruined it.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Ugh - what horrible news.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

It's hard to make something bad even worse but I think that will be accomplished here.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    Why do I have a funny feeling the SpiderMan franchise is about to get a bit of a Twilight feel to it? Though the third installment was a bit drab, I liked the direction the franchise was taking.

That was my first reaction. I guess he's going to walk around with his shirt off.

Turn Off Ads?