Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10 things not to buy in 2010

10 things not to buy in 2010

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...y-in-2010.aspx

Like Betamax videotapes and rotary phones before them, these are the products and services that soon will go the way of the dodo.

Ten years ago, most homes relied on dial-up connections to access the Internet, and iPods, flat-screen TVs and the Nintendo Wii didn't exist.
    As we begin 2010, consumers should expect to see more revolutionary products supplanting old mainstays. In media, DVDs, books, newspapers and magazines will continue to lose ground to services like in-home movie rentals and gadgets like the Amazon's Kindle electronic book reader. For big-ticket items, the push for energy efficiency will continue to influence consumer decisions on cars and home upgrades.

Here are 10 items not to buy in 2010.

DVDs

The days of going to a video store to rent a movie are near an end. Blockbuster has said it plans to close more than a fifth of its stores by the end of 2010. (The company didn't return calls for comment.)Looking ahead, DVD purchases could turn cold as well. An average DVD sells for around $20. That's pricier than signing up for Netflix or renting movies from cable providers' on-demand channels. Netflix charges as little as $8.99 a month to rent one DVD at a time -- with no limit to the number of monthly rentals.

Time Warner cable offers thousands of movies on demand for around $4.99 each. Verizon cable service charges $5.99 a month to download unlimited movies.

Home telephone service

It will probably take a while, but home land lines could become as rare as the rotary phone. According to a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention study, more than one in five U.S. homes (22.7%) had cell phones -- and no land lines -- in the first half of 2009, up from 10.5% during the same period in 2006.

Ditching your home phone is easier now than it has been in the past, as cell phone companies compete for greater market share and alternatives to the home land line continue to grow. For example, majicJack provides phone service when it's plugged into a computer’s USB port and a home phone. It costs $39.95 and includes a one-year license for calls in the U.S. and Canada; after that, service costs $19.95 per year. (By contrast, Time Warner Cable's digital home phone service costs $39.95 per month.)
    And consider Skype, which is free when you communicate with other Skype users. The software application uses the Internet as a platform to make calls, hold video conferences and send instant messages.

External hard drives

Consumers who keep their computers for years and upload thousands of songs, videos, movies and photos at some point find that they need to get more space.External hard drives are one option, but they can crash, too. An up-and-coming alternative might be simpler and save you another transition down the road. Online backup services, like Carbonite and Mozy, allow users to back up data over the Internet.

These services quickly become more expensive than purchasing an external hard drive, which typically starts at around $70. At Carbonite.com, a one-year subscription starts at $54.95, and at Mozy.com monthly subscription costs total $54.45 for a year (although you can get 2 gigabytes of storage for free).

Smart-phone also-rans

In the past few years, several smart phones have hit the market with features similar to the iPhone and Blackberry, but they haven't generated the same buzz. As a result, fewer developers are likely to create applications and other products that cater to those phones.

Today, the BlackBerry dominates the smart-phone market with 40% market share, followed by the iPhone with 25%, according to data released by comScore in December. In the near term, both are expected to stay at the top. ComScore found that most consumers who will be shopping for a smart phone in the next three months plan to purchase a BlackBerry (51%) or an iPhone (20%). By contrast, only 5% of respondents said they planned to purchase T-Mobile's MyTouch. The Palm Pre and Palm Centro received 2% and 1% of the vote, respectively.

Compact digital cameras

For nearly a decade, compact digital cameras were must-haves for most consumers. But during the past several years, another type of digital camera has been slowly rising in popularity: the single-lens reflex (SLR) camera, from manufacturers including Nikon, Canon, Sony and Olympus. Although bulkier, these cameras produce pictures that more accurately represent what's in their viewfinders than those that use older technology. They are also pricier. For example, Canon's digital compact cameras start at $110, while the SLRs start at $570.

Newspaper subscriptions

The past few years have been unkind to the publishing industry. In 2008, newspaper advertising revenues declined by 17.7%, according to the Newspaper Association of America. Meanwhile, average daily circulation at 379 newspapers fell 10.6% from April through September 2009, compared with the same period a year ago, according to the Audit Bureau of Circulations.

Magazines haven't fared any better. In 2009, more than 360 magazines shut down. During the first half of 2009, ad pages fell 27.9% when compared with the same period in 2008, according to Publishers Information Bureau.The morning newspaper has been replaced by a growing online media presence -- much of which is accessible for free. Amazon's Kindle -- even with its price tag of around $250 -- and other e-book readers could increasingly become one-stop sources to access newspapers, magazines and books.

CDs

When was the last time you bought a CD or even walked into a record store? The past decade has been devastating to the record industry. At its start, there was Napster. Then came iTunes, which was introduced in 2001 and offered affordable pricing and easy accessibility. Face it, CDs aren’t coming back.

Record stores are feeling the pinch. Most Virgin Megastores in the U.S. have shut down following declines in sales and revenues. In 2004, Tower Records entered bankruptcy, and by 2006 most locations had closed.

New college textbooks

Unless a student absolutely needs brand-new textbooks, she can use several alternatives to save. Shop for used textbooks, which can help you save 70% to 90% off the retail price, says Mike Gatti, the executive director at the Retail Advertising and Marketing Association, a trade group. Check out Web sites like CheapestTextbooks.com, BooksPrice, or Amazon. Many college bookstores also sell used texts.

Another option is downloading books online. Sites like CourseSmart sell subscriptions to digital copies of more than 7,000 textbooks. TextbookMedia allows students to download textbooks for free. You can also rent textbooks on Chegg.

Gas-guzzling autos

Skyrocketing gasoline prices made headlines late in the decade, and they remain volatile. The Energy Information Administration estimates that crude oil prices averaged around $77 a barrel for the fourth quarter of 2009, up from $42.90 in the first quarter. The EIA also projects prices will rise in 2010 to their highest point in more than two years: $81.33 a barrel.
    Recent announcements by car manufacturers that they plan to mass-produce fuel-efficient cars could help push consumers away from gas-guzzling vehicles.

According to the Department of Energy, the most efficient cars include the Honda Civic Hybrid, which gets 40 miles per gallon in the city and 45 mpg on the highway, and the Toyota Prius hybrid (51/48 mpg). Also getting good marks for their efficiency are the diesel-fueled Volkswagon Jetta and Golf.

Energy-inefficient homes and appliances

Ten years ago, shopping for home upgrades involved looking at a product’s functionality and aesthetics. Now, there's a third consideration: energy efficiency. Today, the products most touted by manufacturers and retailers are those that are Energy Star-certified and those that meet new federal environmental standards.

Most of these appliances and other products come with higher price tags than their counterparts but help lower heating and cooling bills.In addition, the government is offering a federal tax credit of up to $1,500 on energy-efficient home upgrades. Many of the tax breaks -- including those on eligible insulation, roofs and windows and doors -- are set to expire at the end of this year. But others run through Dec. 31, 2016.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-21-2010 at 04:37 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 10 things not to buy in 2010

Interesting article that I agree with much of. The one that totally doesn't fit the bill for my family is CDs. We are in our early 30s but still buy CDs. Heck, we still buy vinyl. We have tons of digital downloads, too, but prefer the physical recording because of superior sound quality. That said, we do buy way fewer CDs than in the past. We find ourselves opting more for single downloads when we know the rest of an album will be second-rate filler.

My mother-in-law still has a rotary phone.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I also don't agree with not buying external hard-drives. If you find a good deal, you can get a huge hard drive for the cost of a year of data hosting. Don't understand the logic of paying yearly for space when you can own it for about the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I also don't agree with not buying external hard-drives. If you find a good deal, you can get a huge hard drive for the cost of a year of data hosting. Don't understand the logic of paying yearly for space when you can own it for about the same price.
    I agree, that one made no sense at all.

The other one that stood out was the one about not buying a compact digital camera, because SLRs would be all the rage. They then turn around and admit that SLRs are almost $600 while a good compact camera can be had for under $100.

As for CDs, I haven't bought a prerecorded on in several years, and haven't played one of any type in a long time. DVDs will be next on the dinosaur list, as something similar to the MP3 player for movies will replace it.

Oh, and we had our landline phone removed a couple of months ago and have not missed it one bit. Just have to remember to lay the cell on the nightstand in case someone needs to reach your for an emergency in the middle of the night.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    I think the idea is that the subscription service costs will be coming down dramatically in future years so they make more sense. Perhaps that entry should be in what not to buy in 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I agree, the 2 that made the least sense were cameras and ext drives. If he had made the argument that cell phone cameras were replacing the lower end cameras that would have made more sense.

As far as home phones, besides having a cell phone at home, having a good VOIP service with high speed is sweet. I use Phone.com for my VOIP. $9.88 a month for 250 minutes. (we don't talk that much). You get LOTS of features/capabilities. (I also use Google Voice).

Interesting story. Like the others ahead of me, I don't think all of them are that solid.

DVDs: I don't believe they're going to go downhill as quick as the article states because it overstates the price. I never buy a DVD for $20. It's not difficult to find them for $10-15 on street week and online retailers like Amazon make it easy to find them cheaper. I agree that DVDs will probably fade as technology changes, but I see no reason to believe that 2010 is the year it will happen.

Home Telephone Service: I tend to agree with this one. Still, there are those who need DSL or a phone line for alarm service.

External Hard Drives: I'm with others here and strongly disagree with this one. While online backup is very helpful (and will continue to grow), external drives are cheaper than the online service over time. You can find 1TB drives for $100 on sale. The value I see with online backup is that your data is safe from things such as fire.

Smartphones: I partially agree but I believe this one is more complicated. The market for smartphones is strong, but perhaps not as wide as manufacturers want us to think. People may want to read email but don't need a browser so they don't really need a full-blown smartphone. Still, I believe there will always be good demand for devices like the iPhone, Pre, and Blackberry. Just because demand didn't match the incredibly overly-hyped expectations doesn't mean the devices are doomed.

Compact digital cameras: Disagree. They forgot about the "compact" part. There's going to be a large group of people that want the ability to take a quick picture without carrying a full-size digital SLR around.

Newspaper subscriptions: Agree completely. Technology has made them almost obsolete.

CDs: Still a market, IMO. While not as convenient as MP3s, they still have a place in 2010. And it's nice to have a permanent copy around.

Gas-guzzlers: Disagree. A lot of Americans will always want larger vehicles that have the power to carry stuff. And if restrictions that prohibit companies from getting the resource, we'll see prices go down and stabilize. Giving people the option is great, both in size and fuel economy.

I enjoy buying my magazines....MOJO looks better in your hand and it's a good collector item for me. Still enjoy the Sunday paper but that is usually about it.

My home alarm system requires a landline. And I'm not about to trust everything (phone, cable, internet) to one provider.

I'm always going to get a newspaper. We actually get 2 - the local rag and the Wall St Journal. My 6 year old daughter loves picking them up in the driveway each morning and looking at the sports and weather while she eats her breakfast. My wife and I already spend enough time each day looking at computer screens.

Finally, I think the idea of not buying new college textbooks isn't anything unique to 2010. That could've been on the list 20 years ago and will be on the list 20 years from now.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    My home alarm system requires a landline. And I'm not about to trust everything (phone, cable, internet) to one provider.
    Same but I'm about to switch to cellular.satellite monitoring and ditch the home landline. The math I've done has me breaking even in about 6 months and then saving around $20 per month after. This extra cash should coincide nicely with the middle of the Reds season and the requisite usual bourbon requirements.

I co-sign on the external drive thing. It's still very important as is off-site backup and storage.

Retired

For cameras, most people just want a point and shoot for taking everyday pics, an SLR for that is way overkill. You don't need a $600-$1,000 camera to take pictures of your kids playing in the backyard. Most people won't spend that kind of money on one either, unless you are a really into photography.

I don't have a landline anymore, just use my cell phone for all my calls. Works fine, no problems, and one less overpriced bill every month.

Buy textbooks online. Even the used prices around campus bookstores are still fairly high. You can usually find them online for much cheaper, and often with free shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Finally, I think the idea of not buying new college textbooks isn't anything unique to 2010. That could've been on the list 20 years ago and will be on the list 20 years from now.
    Very true. I think most college kids buy used if they can. The problem is that half the time, it seems like the professor switches to a new edition right when your class starts. This is particularly true in law school. You either have to buy a new book (with new case law, of course), or on the flip side, you get stuck with a used book your can't sell back because the book isn't being used next semester. They get you both ways. The only change I've seen in the years between undergraduate and law school was that some of the more sympathetic professors have taken to publishing their own course materials through the University's printing service to help students save some money.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    DVDs

The days of going to a video store to rent a movie are near an end. Blockbuster has said it plans to close more than a fifth of its stores by the end of 2010. (The company didn't return calls for comment.)Looking ahead, DVD purchases could turn cold as well. An average DVD sells for around $20. That's pricier than signing up for Netflix or renting movies from cable providers' on-demand channels. Netflix charges as little as $8.99 a month to rent one DVD at a time -- with no limit to the number of monthly rentals.

Time Warner cable offers thousands of movies on demand for around $4.99 each. Verizon cable service charges $5.99 a month to download unlimited movies. .
    This may or may not be true, but I hate this. I hate this push towards "digital only" ownership of things.

I *like* owning a physical copy of the movies, Xbox games and music that I buy. I like not worrying if a computer crash, hard drive failure, or some other strange technology quirk will leave me without the media that I paid money to purchase. I like box art, liner notes, and the extas that come with a physical item that you simply don't get if you buy online (ooohhh -- stare at JPEG image of what the cover looks like). For music, I like the ability to own a lossless form (either in CD or Vinyl quality, depending on which version i buy) of the product as opposed to paying near retail price for a lossy format.

The bottom line is, when I pay real money for something, I want to own something real -- not a file on my laptop.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 01-21-2010 at 01:03 PM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I *like* owning a physical copy of the movies, Xbox games and music that I buy.
    I'm the opposite -- why buy when you can rent? I've never understood buying movies.

Turn Off Ads?