Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10 things not to buy in 2010

Re: 10 things not to buy in 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I'm the opposite -- why buy when you can rent? I've never understood buying movies.
    If you have a kid and travel semi-regularly, owning some dvds is the way to go.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    If you have a kid and travel semi-regularly, owning some dvds is the way to go.
    15........ that is so 20th Century........

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I'm the opposite -- why buy when you can rent? I've never understood buying movies.
    Most movies I buy are movies I like (where I'll probably be watching them multiple times) or movies that were critically acclaimed and well-reviewed that I missed in the theaters (where I'll probably want to give a few watches just to break things down).

Additionally, I'm known to buy movies when they come out or when I'm out shopping and let them sit for days or weeks until I get around to watching them. Hard to do that when you're renting.

Beyond that, I like having a library of films that I can pull out whenever I feel like staying in for a night or have nothing else going on. Sometimes it's nice to just order a pizza and throw in a movie, as opposed to driving to the video store or (worse) waiting 3 days for your next Netflix to arrive.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

The smartphone section completely ignored the "Android" revolution about to take place. Droid and Nexus One will be major competitors by the end of 2010.

And I still buy DVD's at Walmart. I got Munich for $5
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Attack Cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    This may or may not be true, but I hate this. I hate this push towards "digital only" ownership of things.
    I'm split on this. I much prefer hard copies of movies, simply because even the "HD" digital distribution files sometime cannot compete with a upscaled DVD, let alone a 1080P Blu-ray with Dolby HD soundtrack.

Games though? I loath switching disks. I buy everything I can off PSN or Steam.

I'll join the chorus in wondering what the heck they they are talking about on external hard drives. External storage is so cheap it makes little sense not to have one, and that won't change even if there are alternatives.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Text books are a racket. Seems everytime I bought one they switched for next term and wouldn't buy them back. Like chemistry has changed during 12 weeks.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

We got rid of our phone land line several months ago. Besides our immediate family, those that we contact all utilize cellphones.

I agree with most everyone on DVDs and CDs. I still utilize CDs for music and storage. But my kids don't. They utilize digital.

Of course I was one of the last ones to get rid of 8-tracks when cassettes became all the rage.

I saw last week where Netfix is going to be available on the Wii at some point. So in a way, I could see DVD sales taking a hit as more and more people can rent movies through various on-line avenues (Directv, Time Warner, Verizon, etc). I save them to my DVR hard drive, and if I want, burn a copy.

And I wish I had known about the college text book sources prior to spending over $400 this winter quarter on my daughter's books. I saved them for future reference.
    Last edited by GAC; 01-22-2010 at 04:32 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

As an old boss told me, "don't name your farm animals".

Someone sometime somehow is going to come along and obsolete your products. Don't fall in love with your products, don't think they will never fall out of favor or fail to compete, and always look for ways to replace them yourself. Because if you don't, a competitor will. That comfortable rut is fatal.

The march of technology is inexorable. The landscape is littered with things that have had their time and then been left behind.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    The landscape is littered with things that have had their time and then been left behind.
    The Pittsburgh Pirates and Kansas City Royals.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    15........ that is so 20th Century........
    I'm an old school kind of guy.

While I know the technology exists, and is utilized in some limited formats, I don't understand why voice activation (simply saying the number) hasn't caught fire and made dialing numbers on your phone obsolete?

And as far as technological advancements.... I hate calling and having to keep hitting numbers, after being posed a series of questions... 1 for English, 2 for Service, 3 for Technical Support, 4 for Sales, 5 if this is an existing issue, 6 if it's a new issue, just to try to either get to the right department or even wanting to talk to a LIVE person. Then, when you finally reach the end, they send you to voice message. AAAAARGH!

I usually press 7 for "I want to strangle someone".
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Some things that may be worth buying in 2010:
    http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/y...gs-vip-awards/

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Some things that may be worth buying in 2010:
    http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/y...gs-vip-awards/
    The "Perfect Flush" might be a winner.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Newspaper subscriptions: If everyone follows that advice and uses the newspaper web site instead of buying the paper, the newspaper will no longer be able to afford to have people on the staff to write the articles we read. Eventually the only articles on the local newspaper web site will be news from other places. Kind of like how talk radio is now, where the only things it talks about happen in Hollywood or Washington, DC.

You can tell that article wasn't originally written for a newspaper.
    /r/reds

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Newspaper subscriptions: If everyone follows that advice and uses the newspaper web site instead of buying the paper, the newspaper will no longer be able to afford to have people on the staff to write the articles we read. Eventually the only articles on the local newspaper web site will be news from other places. Kind of like how talk radio is now, where the only things it talks about happen in Hollywood or Washington, DC.

You can tell that article wasn't originally written for a newspaper.
    You obviously don't listen to WLW down in Texas, do you?

Turn Off Ads?