Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10 possible store closings in 2010

Re: 10 possible store closings in 2010

I think music formats will keep changing for certain. Cds even though I like to collect them, will go by the wayside eventually. However the old brick and mortar book store will always be around in some form. People just enjoy that experience too much for them all to go away, some will yes. The big ones may all merge, Borders, B&N, Walden etc, but there will be something always I think.

Thanks for the clarification Yachtzee

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Books probably won't exist in the next 5-10 years. With devices like the Kindle, Nook and the upcoming Apple tablet (whatever they are going to call it) books are going to become like CDs and VHS. The content will be there, but it won't be in the form it's in now. So if you love that paperback I'd pick it up now.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Books probably won't exist in the next 5-10 years. With devices like the Kindle, Nook and the upcoming Apple tablet (whatever they are going to call it) books are going to become like CDs and VHS. The content will be there, but it won't be in the form it's in now. So if you love that paperback I'd pick it up now.
    Call me a curmudgeon or nostalgic or something else, but for some reason I draw the line at books and I think there are enough people like me to ensure that content will always be reproduced in that medium. I draw immense pleasure not only from reading a good book, but from the escape from the technological rat race that books afford. With a book you don't have to worry about batteries, power cords, or whether you remembered to charge it. Maybe a move toward electronic books makes sense for textbooks or technical journals, but reading for pleasure is big and there will always be a segment of that crowd who still prefer their reading material to be printed on paper.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Nope, not going to happen that quick. Readers will not have to turn to electronics just yet, and expect a good portion of us to be Luddites about it too.

Electronic media will have to create a way to allow a reader "flip around" from section to section faster and more easily (for the general population of course) than a physical book. I've seen multiple e-readers...and if it is a book that you read start to finish, its great. But if it is say a cookbook/reference manual where you are going from section to section in some cases, I've yet to see a product match the convience of a physical book.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Call me a curmudgeon or nostalgic or something else, but for some reason I draw the line at books
    Amen. Really I wish they'd bring out more stuff in the pocketbook format. "Quality paper" is just a scam to get you to pay way more money for a book that's a little bigger and a little fancier. But I like pocketbooks because I can put them....in my pocket!

I also have to think that the tax prep places like Jackson Hewitt and H.R. Block are going to bite it. Rich folks go to fancy accountants and the online services make it so easy and cheap for the rest of us.

On Books: I can't imagine not having a book to hold, turn the page, peek ahead ... maybe ... or fight the temptation to do so, pull off the shelf and re-read "pages 271-276" or something, just because, look at the pictures, and read the captiions. I can't imagine the digital format being the only available format for reading material. Not good for the eyes either.

On Tax Prep places: There's still a lot of people who don't trust their financials to online services, for taxes or anything else. I have a friend who still uses money orders and comchex and the like.
    Last edited by SandyD; 01-26-2010 at 06:56 AM.

Books will always exist.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Electronic media will have to create a way to allow a reader "flip around" from section to section faster and more easily (for the general population of course) than a physical book. I've seen multiple e-readers...and if it is a book that you read start to finish, its great. But if it is say a cookbook/reference manual where you are going from section to section in some cases, I've yet to see a product match the convience of a physical book.

Plus, computer monitors suck, plain and simple, and I use an excellent one. They are too hard on the eyes. There isn't a computer monitor out there that isn't, and they aren't "comfortably" portable.

I'd rather browse the book stores, too. I hope Borders survives. There is a Barnes & Noble at Greenwood Mall, but I hate going to the mall. Plus, you can't park within 100 feet of store there. And I have never figured out the floor plan at B & N. It's hard to find what you're looking for.

I never shop much at Borders because I hate the traffic patters at the one closest to me. It's at one of the worst intersections in the area. The other one is on St Charles Avenue in an old funreal home. It's a gorgeous store, but I've only shopped there once, for their grand opening. But if I'm in that area, and want to shop books, I go to independent bookseller Octavia Books.

The Barnes and Noble near me is not in a mall, with a parking lot that's too small, but I've always been able to find a place. As I said, if I'm looking for a specific book, I order online for store pickup. Then I browse when I'm there. So I don't have to go looking for a specific title. So Barnes and Noble is much easier to get to/get around than Borders in my area.

Don't get me wrong, I love to browse bookstores and spend a lot of time in them. But I like a *good* bookstore. Love Joseph-Beth. B&N seems OK still. But at least the Borders by us seems in a death spiral.

And I think there will always be books. A book you can cozy up to in bed, take to the beach, throw it in the back seat of the car, stick it in the bottom of a bag, or knock it off the kitchen table and not worry about it. A book is a physical thing with shape and feel and smell and pages and paper and print and dog-ears and heft and feel. Its an old and dear friend that I can't imagine life without.

I think electronic readers will have a place. Colleges with their ridiculously expensive use one time text books are going to this more and more. Younger and more malleable readers may get more used to them. A digital book certainly is cheaper. It can hold a reference library. I just think the market is still in its infancy and the technology is still shaking itself out. I like techie things and gizmos and what-not, but ebooks is something I'll pass on for the time being.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    My guess is Sears and K-Mart would be on the list
    Sears and K-Mart are owned by the same people. I believe it is sears holding company.

I don't think K-Mart will be around much longer, but I have thought that for several years now.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Sears and K-Mart are owned by the same people. I believe it is sears holding company.

I don't think K-Mart will be around much longer, but I have thought that for several years now.
    Yeah, I know. That's why I lumped them together. In my mind their merger just prolonged the inevitable

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

IMO, the issue that threatens books is not that people will replace them with electronic books, it's that people don't read books anymore. Note that most of the people in this thread who say they like books were born closer to the midpoint of the 20th century rather than near the end of it. It's the young folks who aren't reading books (or magazines or newspapers). If they're reading, they're reading online.

Next time you go to a bookstore, compare the number of people under 25 there with the number over 25. I bet you'll see my point.
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?