Turn Off Ads?

Thread: MLB.com Top 50

MLB.com Top 50

Missed the first 12, being shown on MLB Network and MLB.com right now. So far through 50 they have Alonso at 30, and as I stated I missed 50-39.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: MLB.com Top 50

Juan Francisco was #48. That was surprising, Mayo also said his list was basically what scouts have told him this offseason not his own opinion.

Chapman didn't make the list because he signed after the list was made. THey said he would have been in the 11-15 range. Not Top 10, one of the reasons "hasn't thrown a professional pitch". And yet I'm sure Strasburg will be Number 1.

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Chapman didn't make the list because he signed after the list was made. THey said he would have been in the 11-15 range. Not Top 10, one of the reasons "hasn't thrown a professional pitch". And yet I'm sure Strasburg will be Number 1.
    I was thinking the same. He could've said that he's not as polished as Strasburg was when he signed but he didn't. Just that he hasn't thrown in the pros when that didn't bother them when they ranked Strasburg higher before he started pitching in the pros.

Also, Chapman signed more than 2 weeks ago but that was still too late to slide him onto the list?

And did he say that Chapman could be a reliever? That's news to me.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    I was thinking the same. He could've said that he's not as polished as Strasburg was when he signed but he didn't. Just that he hasn't thrown in the pros when that didn't bother them when they ranked Strasburg higher before he started pitching in the pros.

Also, Chapman signed more than 2 weeks ago but that was still too late to slide him onto the list?

And did he say that Chapman could be a reliever? That's news to me.
    He said there was some debate over reliever or starter, but I believe that was only a few of the scouts who said that. Its pretty well known that there are some scouts that don't like Aroldis, but thats like that with all players. Aroldis is a 100% a starter

---TRF

--Bronson Arroyo

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

The thing that bothers me about this list is how its compiled. Mayo asks guys for their Top 30 guys. Well if one person has a guy at #10, but no one else has him in their Top 50, that guy is probably going to make the list. Meanwhile if every person asked had the same player as their #31 prospect, he winds up not getting a single vote and misses the list. It just doesn't make sense as a way to set up a Top 50. Ask for the Top 50 and assign votes that way and things work out much better than asking for a Top 30 and tabulating 50 from that.

Chapman signed with the Reds on January 10th. Today is January 27th. It's been 17 days ... you mean to tell me they didn't have enough time to insert Chapman? Come on now. That's plenty of time to make some adjustments.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 01-27-2010 at 11:13 PM.

Alonso, Francisco named top prospects
    Corner infielders represent Reds on MLB.com's honor roll
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

01/27/10 9:00 PM EST

CINCINNATI -- Two Reds corner-infield prospects received further acknowledgment on Wednesday that their big league futures should be bright.

MLB.com revealed that first baseman Yonder Alonso and third baseman Juan Francisco were included in MLB.com's Top 50 Prospects list. Alonso was ranked No. 30 while Francisco came in at No. 48.

The Top 50 Prospects list is back for the seventh year, but this was the first time that the announcement was simulcast on MLB.com and MLB Network.

Heading into the 2008 season, Reds right fielder Jay Bruce was named as the No. 1 prospect by MLB.com. Bruce reached the Majors by May of that season. The top prospect this year is outfielder Jason Heyward of the Braves, followed by pitcher and '09 overall No. 1 Draft pick Stephen Strasburg of the Nationals.

In 78 games combined for Class A Sarasota and Double-A Chattanooga, the 22-year-old Alonso batted .300 with nine home runs and 52 RBIs. He missed two months on the disabled list with a broken hamate bone in his right hand that required surgery.

After the regular season, Alonso was moved up to Triple-A Louisville and played five games in the postseason.

"A list like that is an honor, but, honestly, it doesn't mean much," Alonso said. "It doesn't take me to the big leagues. It doesn't get me called up, but it's definitely an honor when you look at the guys on the list. I could be 50 or I could be one, it's an honor just to be there."

In 131 games combined at Double-A Carolina and Triple-A Louisville, Francisco batted .295 with 27 homers and 93 RBIs. He led all Reds Minor Leaguers in homers and was fifth in hitting.

As a September callup to Cincinnati, Francisco batted .429 (9-for-21) with one homer and seven RBIs in 14 games last year.

Although he will probably start the season at Louisville, the Reds are considering Francisco for their vacancy in left field, with veteran Scott Rolen already established at third base.

"If he is not our top hitting prospect in the organization, he's in the top three," Reds Minor League director Terry Reynolds said earlier this month. "It's up to Dusty [Baker] and Walt [Jocketty] where he'll play, but guys that can hit usually find a place to play."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Juan Francisco, 3B

2009 Rank: NR
    Signed: May 6, 2004
    ETA in Majors: 2010

Statistically speaking: Francisco kept on hitting, even after the regular season ended. His name is all over the Dominican Winter League leaderboard, finishing seventh in average (.302) while leading the league in homers (11), RBIs (42), SLG (.566), extra-base hits (24) and total bases (103). He also finished third in strikeouts with 41.

Scouting report: Francisco's best tool is his power and he's got plenty of it. He's got plenty of bat speed and can take any fastball thrown anywhere and turn it around. He's not quite as successful with recognizing breaking and offspeed stuff. He doesn't draw walks, though he was a bit better in winter ball in that regard, and he will strike out a fair amount. He's got a plus arm at third, though overall he's average at best defensively. He's been working out in left field as the Reds try to figure out a way to get his bat into the lineup.

Upside potential: From a power standpoint, Francisco could be a fearsome middle-of-the-order hitter soon. There's no room for him just yet and it's unclear what his long-term defensive position will be.

They said it: "Juan Francisco continues to be one of the best power-hitting prospects in the organization. He continues to work on cutting down his strikeouts and getting good pitches to hit. His Dominican Winter League team is in the finals and he has been a major contributor to their success." -- Reds farm director Terry Reynolds

He said it: "I didn't think I was coming up. After the game, [Louisville manager Rick Sweet] went to my locker and said, 'I have to talk to you before you leave.' [He said,] 'Congratulations you're going up.'" -- On his big-league callup

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?topic_id=7962336

Yonder Alonso, 1B

2009 Rank: 34
    Drafted: 2008, 1st (7)
    ETA in Majors: 2011

Statistically speaking: During his pro career, Alonso has continued to have some difficulty against left-handed pitching. After a .222/.329/.317 showing against lefties in 2009 (including the playoffs), Alonso has now hit .211/.326/.296 vs. LHP, albeit in just 71 total at-bats. In contrast, he's feasted vs. RHP: .313/.390/.504.

Scouting report: Alonso is an advanced college bat with good knowledge of the strike zone, good swing mechanics and more than enough power. He's fine defensively at first and he's been working on playing left field, where it's unclear if his lack of speed would hurt him. His bat should be big league ready soon, even with a broken hamate bone taking away time from him in his first full season.

Upside potential: A middle-of-the-order run producer who will hit for average and power.

They said it: "Yonder Alonso has shown great maturity and baseball savvy for a young player. His plate discipline and strike zone awareness are rare in young hitters. Even though he missed a portion of the 2009 season he has made up the innings and ABs by playing well in the Arizona Fall League and in Puerto Rico this winter." -- Reds farm director, Terry Reynolds

He said it: "A list like that is an honor, but, honestly, it doesn't mean much. It doesn't take me to the big leagues. It doesn't get me called up, but it's definitely an honor, when you look at the guys on the list. I could be 50 or I could be 1, it's an honor just to be there."

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?topic_id=7962336

I'm quite surprised to see Fransisco make it but not Frazier.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm quite surprised to see Fransisco make it but not Frazier.
    Very likely because of how the rankings are tabulated. Its done pretty poorly. Mayo asks for a scouts Top 30. If one scout has Francisco at say 15, and no one else has him in the Top 100 (which could certainly happen depending on who you ask), but all 20 scouts you talk to have the exact same #31 prospect, say for example Todd Frazier (too high for him, but its an example), Francisco makes the list and Todd doesn't get a single vote. Why Mayo doesn't ask for a Top 50 and tabulate points that way I haven't known for several years now, but it seems like a poor way to do the rankings. After the Top 10-15 guys, I pay very little attention to where guys rank and just watch the videos.

Turn Off Ads?