Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 'Catcher in the Rye' author J.D. Salinger dies

Re: 'Catcher in the Rye' author J.D. Salinger dies

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    At least one of his kids hates his guts and would love to make a buck off of these unpublished novels. We'll see how his estate provides for control of the unpublished books.
    I think an equally interesting question is will Catcher be made into a movie? I personally hope not. Here's Salinger's thoughts on a movie:
    http://www.momentsintime.com/J%20D%20Salinger.htm

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'll bet that a collector couldn't acquire that Salinger letter for $54K anymore.

I never really liked his books, but that's because he'd probably describe me as one of the phoneys.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I checked my e-mail early this morning and received a message from an old high school friend titled "In memory of Ackley's toenails." At the same time, one of the morning shows started running a short clip on Salinger. I caught on before clicking on the message. I loved the book.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I've never read a word of Salinger but with that article totally get it, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I love it, it has all the markings of disdain for trappings of society and those who can't quite fit in.

Love it so much I stole it from my HS library, and it sits on the shelf in my living room, I've easiliy read it 5 times
    The School Librarian Police are still looking for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Donder View Post
    I think an equally interesting question is will Catcher be made into a movie? I personally hope not. Here's Salinger's thoughts on a movie:
    http://www.momentsintime.com/J%20D%20Salinger.htm
    From wiki:
    In the early 1940s, Salinger had confided in a letter to Whit Burnett that he was eager to sell the film rights to some of his stories in order to achieve financial security.[37] According to Ian Hamilton, Salinger was disappointed when "rumblings from Hollywood" over his 1943 short story "The Varioni Brothers" came to nothing. Therefore he immediately agreed when, in mid-1948, independent film producer Samuel Goldwyn offered to buy the film rights to his short story "Uncle Wiggily in Connecticut."[37] Though Salinger sold his story with the hope—in the words of his agent Dorothy Olding—that it "would make a good movie",[38] the film version of "Wiggily" was lambasted by critics upon its release in 1949.[39] Renamed My Foolish Heart and starring Dana Andrews and Susan Hayward, the melodramatic film departed to such an extent from Salinger's story that Goldwyn biographer A. Scott Berg referred to it as a "bastardization".[39] As a result of this experience, Salinger never again permitted film adaptations to be made from his work.[40]
    The character Holden Caulfield first appeared in a short story that was written by Salinger and that was published in the New Yorker magazine in '46. Here are a few links for Slight Rebellion Off Madison:

http://www.freeweb.hu/tchl/salinger/madison.html
    (the story)

http://www.twentytwo.tinymenagerie.c...trebellion.pdf
    (pdf version of the story)

and a 'film adaption' of the story
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6achMxJ8iTI

Turn Off Ads?