Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I love being a parent

Re: I love being a parent

Kids Say The Darndest Things.

My wife and are are in our mid-50s and started kinda late with our family (3 kids). Our oldest boy, who is now 21, when he was a 5-6 years old use to have a very peculiar way of saying goodbye. He'd always say "Mind how you go". Where he picked that up and got that from I have no idea.

Our youngest, who is 14, always asks me what it was like when I was growing up. You'd think, from listening to him, the wheel hadn't been invented yet. Did we have internet, video games, and cable TV? I told him that as far as TV went we had what was called VHF and UHF channels....

"What was that Dad?"
    "Well son, we normally got about 7 or 8 VHF channels, and they were channels that were Very Hard to Find because it depended on the weather that day and what position the rabbit ears on the TV were in."

And as far as entertaining ourselves back then, we had a thing called OUTDOORS!

My daughter is now in college, but several years ago she got selected to come forward and read a Bible passage before the church. It was a practice our pastor liked to do to get the kids involved in the service. Rachel was excited. So she goes forward and is standing at the podium with Bible in hand and starts to read the passage. But she then pauses and stands there with this look on her face as if she didn't know what to do. It appears that in this particular passage it talks about, and mentions, the word "hell". So here she is, standing in front of a room full of adults, and there's a cuss word in the Bible. What's the girl to do? She quickly improvises and blurts out HECK. And every time she comes to that word she says heck. The congregation was rolling in the aisles!

My youngest played little league baseball for two summers. I made him play simply to show him there were other things in life other then video games and the internet. Plus I assisted in coaching. Since my playing days are over I live my dream and love for the game vicariously through the younger kids.

My son is not very athletic, and wasn't very good at baseball. But he had fun and tried his heart out. But he really didn't understand the fundamentals of the game, no matter how much instruction you gave him. One day he got a hit and was standing at 1B. The kid was jumping up and down for joy that he got on. The next kid hit a pop fly. The 1B coach yells at Samuel "RUN!", so Samuel runs to 2B. Well, the OFer catches the ball, and throws to 1B and Samuel is out. Samuel, standing at 2B, again very excited, doesn't understand why he is out. So when he gets back to the dugout I'm explaining to him the rule, and also that our 1B coach screwed up and shouldn't have sent him. He made a mistake.

Samuel jumps up and yells.... "THAT MAN SHOULDN'T HAVE A JOB!"

Anyone remember the old Art Linkletter Show called "Kids Say The Darndest Things"? Use to love that show....

A small boy is sent to bed by his father. Five minutes later..... 'Daad....' 'What?' 'I'm thirsty. Can you bring drink of water?' 'No, You had your chance. Lights out.' Five minutes later; 'Da-aaaad.....' 'WHAT?' 'I'm THIRSTY. Can I have a drink of water??' I told you NO! If you ask again, I'll have to spank you!!' Five minutes later......'Daaaaad.....'WHAT!' 'When you come in to spank me,can you bring a drink of water?'
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

I love no longer being a parent (to children).

Of course, those were the greatest years when they were young. But, I'd never want to do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    A while back our family was at Kroger shopping. We were selecting deodorant for my 12 year old son. My other son, age 8 said "I need some underarm refresher too. My pits stink!" We still laugh about that.
    When I was a kid, I asked my mom if she used "slates" because I thought they didn't have paper, pens and pencils (or couldn't afford them, I don't remember).

When my oldest graduated high school, we went out to eat after at a place called Furrs Cafeteria. Think Golden Corral. Anyway, the waitress comes around for our drink order and when she gets to my youngest, Emily, who was about 8 at the time says "Coke". The waitress says "we have Pepsi or Dr. Pepper." Emily replies "Coke".

She won't let us go there anymore.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    When my oldest graduated high school, we went out to eat after at a place called Furrs Cafeteria. Think Golden Corral. Anyway, the waitress comes around for our drink order and when she gets to my youngest, Emily, who was about 8 at the time says "Coke". The waitress says "we have Pepsi or Dr. Pepper." Emily replies "Coke".

She won't let us go there anymore.
    I think that's a great reason not to go there. I'm with Emily.

When my oldest boy was around 5 yrs old we stopped at KFC for lunch while out running errands. We were sitting in the dining area and our son said he had to go to the bathroom. We were sitting right there across from the restroom, with the door in full view of the dining area, and seeing this as an opportunity to let our son do something on his own, I told him he to get up and go, and he did without question.

Well, me and the wife were both sitting there eating, being ever mindful to watch the door and wait for our son to return. Finally, after 10 minutes or so, it seemed like ages, the door to the restroom is opened and our son is standing their buck-naked with his pants down around his ankles IN FULL VIEW, and yells "HEY! IS ONE OF YOU GONNA COME IN HERE AND WIPE MY BUTT?"
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I was trying to get my soon to be 5 year old son started on some simple math.

Red Heeler: "One plus one equals two."

Heeler Jr: "Daddy, you're silly. One and one is eleven!"

At Christmas:

Red Heeler: "Look Junior, this present is from Lulu (the dog). She even signed the card herself."

Heeler Jr: "Daddy, Lulu can't write. She doesn't have any hands."

When we moved into our new house my then 2 year old daughter found my screwdriver and brought it to me and said "Daddy here's your dammit!" My language while doing home improvement work has improved since then!
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    When my oldest boy was around 5 yrs old we stopped at KFC for lunch while out running errands. We were sitting in the dining area and our son said he had to go to the bathroom. We were sitting right there across from the restroom, with the door in full view of the dining area, and seeing this as an opportunity to let our son do something on his own, I told him he to get up and go, and he did without question.

Well, me and the wife were both sitting there eating, being ever mindful to watch the door and wait for our son to return. Finally, after 10 minutes or so, it seemed like ages, the door to the restroom is opened and our son is standing their buck-naked with his pants down around his ankles IN FULL VIEW, and yells "HEY! IS ONE OF YOU GONNA COME IN HERE AND WIPE MY BUTT?"
    Independence has its drawbacks. Thanks for sharing that hilarious scene.

Turn Off Ads?