Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Alexander Haig R.I.P.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Alexander Haig R.I.P.

Alexander Haig is dead at 85. Hopefully we can keep this out of Peanut Gallery land.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...ser-haig-dies/
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alexander Haig R.I.P.

Being 35 I recall him as one of the earliest politicians of which I was aware. Reagan of course was probably the first, but I knew and heard Haig's name often on the nightly news when I watched with my parents.

May he RIP.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Actually I wondered whether, upon entering the afterlife, he declared, "I'm in charge here." As for anyone passing, I echo RIP.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

The first Bloom County strip I ever read was lampooning him, talking in his sleep on a park bench, iirc.

I seem to remember that I didn't like him, then decided he was okay, but I'm old and can't remember they why of either.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    The first Bloom County strip I ever read was lampooning him, talking in his sleep on a park bench, iirc.

I seem to remember that I didn't like him, then decided he was okay, but I'm old and can't remember they why of either.
    I believe this character is the lampoon of Haig (on another note was the comics in the 80's the bomb or what? Far Side, Calvin, Bloom, Doonsberry, Gordo (nah just kidding)

WOY--I could not agree more about the comics from the 80s. They used to make my required reading list every day.

When I attempt to read the Sunday comics nowadays, I feel, in a word:

Bloom County and Far Side were two of the best comics ever made,IMO. I never even look at the comics anymore. They just aren't very good or entertaining.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Pearls Before Swine is pretty good. I'm also fond of Lio. Occasionally, Baby Blues, Zits, or the Sunday FoxTrot will be pretty good. But that's about it.

How in the world are Family Circus and Garfield still in production?

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post

How in the world are Family Circus and Garfield still in production?
    Pod people?

Pearls/get fuzzy/dilbert/cul de sac/doonsberry are the only ones I seek out.

+1 on Bloom County and Far Side.

I have the very last Bloom County cartoon published in the paper framed in my office.

I know "brilliant" gets tossed around a lot, but those two cartoons were simply brilliant.

You might not agree with his politics, but he was a decorated war hero. RIP, and thank you for your service.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    You might not agree with his politics, but he was a decorated war hero. RIP, and thank you for your service.
    I think his role in the last few months in the Nixon White House was very underrated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I think his role in the last few months in the Nixon White House was very underrated.
    I agree. It is unfortunate for Haig's memory that his "I'm in charge" speech when Reagan was shot is the first thing people recalled when he died. I do not believe he was trying to stage a coup d'etat. He was trying to reassure the nation in a crisis. However, in addition to getting the constitutional order of succession wrong Haig himself appeared to be unsteady and was hardly reassuring.
    By the way, I think it is nuts that the president pro tempore of the Senate is fourth in line of presidential succession, or at least it is nuts how senators bestow that position on someone nobody could actually want to become president, as a kind of honor for lifetime service. When Reagan was shot Strom Thurmond was president pro tempore. At the moment, Robert Byrd, age 192, is the president pro tempore.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?