Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Harang...

Harang...

has to be one of the worst #1 starters in the league. Let's take a look at the division's #1s shall we...

Carpenter
    Zambrano
    Gallardo
    Oswalt
    Duke

I'd take any of the first four in a SECOND over Harang, and I'm not even sure he's better than Zach Duke at this point. Just think and answer honestly, who would you rather have on the mound: Harang or Homer. My point is Harang is a #4 starter at BEST and should not be going up against the league's #1s anymore. He just shouldn't. He needs to retire after this season (or ASAP). He's just done.

Also, just for the record, let's check out the #1s for everyone else in the NL this year. They get a "+" if I'd take them over Harang, and a "-" if not.

NL East:
    Santana +
    Halladay +
    Johnson +
    Lowe +
    Lannan - (probably)

NL West:
    Padilla/Billingsly (Padilla was the OD starter but Billingsly's their true #1) + (I think)/ +
    Jimenez +
    Haren +
    Garland - (probably)
    Lincecum+

Last edited by Redsfan320; 04-09-2010 at 07:00 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Harang...

You think Aaron Harang's done.. what about Derek Lowe?

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    He needs to retire after this season (or ASAP). He's just done.
    Um... what?

Harang may not be a number one anymore [or as some argue ever] but he is far from done.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Harang may not be a number one anymore [or as some argue ever] but he is far from done.
    Agreed. He's perfectly fine in any rotation, he's just not at the same level he used to be. It sucks, but what can ya do.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Being number one on the Reds is like being the best looking couple in Lincoln Nebraska.

(Padilla was the OD starter but Billingsly's their true #1)
    Couldn't you say the same thing about Harang and Arroyo?

I actually think Harang does alright. He's not an elite #1, that's for sure--but he's not embarrassing himself out there most nights. He keeps the team in games for the most part.

What I like about this Reds staff, actually, is not their TOR starters, but their depth. If two TOR starters can emerge from the crowd of Chapman, Bailey, Cueto, Leake, Volquez and Wood, then the Reds should be good to go for a long time. Harang and Arroyo, with any luck, will just be extras by the end of the season. I'm not sure there are many other teams in the league with this type of potential. I know, it is just potential--but it's a nice thing to have.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Hes kind of been forced to be the #1 even though hes never really been a #1.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Being number one on the Reds is like being the best looking couple in Lincoln Nebraska.

It's like being the smartest Hilton sister.

Royalties to Cincinnati Chili for that line...
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Couldn't you say the same thing about Harang and Arroyo?
    Very good point.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    He needs to retire after this season (or ASAP). He's just done.
    Um... what?
    By "done" I mean he's no good anymore. His career as anything decent is done.

Very true.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

He's not the Reds' No. 1. He only started Opening Day because Arroyo (foolishly IMO) turned it down.

The Reds have a lot--a lot--of so-so starters. Not sure why Harang is being dragged out for particular derision.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

The Reds have a lot--a lot--of so-so starters. Not sure why Harang is being dragged out for particular derision.
    Because even though they have a lot of so-so starters, Harang is the one who, to me, is painful to watch (not that Homer's not painful tonight); Harang is the one who's start I actually dread. For example, I'm dreading him going against Big Z tomorrow. BTW, this is what I meant by him being our #1. He has to be our #1, because he's going against other #1s.

Is he a #1?

No.

But he needs to retire?

What a bunch of hooey.

Yep. Hooey.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Turn Off Ads?