Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: League of Reds Nation -- the ultimate dynasty

Re: League of Reds Nation -- the ultimate dynasty

Might be the first time I've ever seen Felix picked in the first round! He's good but WOW!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Important Note:
    Remember the 10 hour timer starts at 8:00am Saturday morning!

If a manager has been on the clock for 10 hours the next manager in line can skip him.

If you get skipped you can make your pick as soon as you visit the league website again.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Important Note:
    Remember the 10 hour timer starts at 8:00am Saturday morning!

If a manager has been on the clock for 10 hours the next manager in line can skip him.

If you get skipped you can make your pick as soon as you visit the league website again.
    Is there going to be some leeway in the cases where a pick is made late at night? I keep odd hours, so I can't see this affecting me personally, at least too much. However, I can see some sticky situations.

Say an owner makes a pick at midnight. The next owner would be on the clock and have to pick by 10 AM. Considering many folks are sleeping during that time and then get up for work, I could see how that kind of scenario might cause some problems. I don't anticipate having a problem, as I'm fortunate in that I have an occupation where I'm able to work from home. But not everyone is so lucky, LOL.

Are there any measures to give those folks the benefit of the doubt?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

When I have a pick coming up I'm going to try and send my top 2/3 to atomic. With the time zone difference, its rough over here. Basically take your AM time and switch it to PM, then add a couple of hours and you see where I'm at... I don't think it should really be much of a problem though for most. The differences between picks 211 and 213 are minimal, if you do accidently miss your window.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Is there going to be some leeway in the cases where a pick is made late at night? I keep odd hours, so I can't see this affecting me personally, at least too much. However, I can see some sticky situations.

Say an owner makes a pick at midnight. The next owner would be on the clock and have to pick by 10 AM. Considering many folks are sleeping during that time and then get up for work, I could see how that kind of scenario might cause some problems. I don't anticipate having a problem, as I'm fortunate in that I have an occupation where I'm able to work from home. But not everyone is so lucky, LOL.

Are there any measures to give those folks the benefit of the doubt?
    Unfortunately, the 10 hour time limit has to be enforced without exceptions or else it will cause arguments. As commissioner I try to avoid arguments. We all agreed to the rule and we really need to keep the draft moving.

I am happy to make arrangements to keep in contact with people via email, text message or phone call. A couple of people have already made such arrangements. So there are plenty of ways to keep up to date on the draft and get your picks in on time.

If your turn is coming up and you are going to be away from a computer just send a short list of players to me or another person in the league and have them post your pick for you. You can send me a text message asking for draft updates. (PM me for my cell phone number). Or you can call me for an update.

In the worst case scenario a manager may get skipped, but it won't cost them too much because they can make their pick as soon as they log into the website. It is highly unlikely that more than a couple of picks will have been made in that interval, so the quality of available players will not have changed.

Without that time limit people don't feel any pressure to check the site often and then the draft gets really, really slow. Too slow.

Last year in the Redszone Dynasty League we had one guy that got skipped about five times, and a couple of guys that got skipped once. That was all. And that includes the last few rounds when we used a 6 hour limit.

I have participated in three slow drafts using the time limit in the last couple of years. All of those drafts went smoothly. Sure, people got skipped a few times but it was never a problem and it didn't have any effect on the quality of their teams. I think we will be OK.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

I agree with Atomic on the 10 hour maximum time limit to make a team's current selection. Once a commissioner opens the door by not strictly adhereing to the rules, problems can and will begin. Now having said that, I'll probably have it happen to me! I hope not b/c I try to check in often like right now as the official start of 8:00am Saturday has begun.

I hope things start rolling now. I'm itching to make my next couple of picks!

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Unfortunately, the 10 hour time limit has to be enforced without exceptions or else it will cause arguments. As commissioner I try to avoid arguments. We all agreed to the rule and we really need to keep the draft moving.

I am happy to make arrangements to keep in contact with people via email, text message or phone call. A couple of people have already made such arrangements. So there are plenty of ways to keep up to date on the draft and get your picks in on time.

If your turn is coming up and you are going to be away from a computer just send a short list of players to me or another person in the league and have them post your pick for you. You can send me a text message asking for draft updates. (PM me for my cell phone number). Or you can call me for an update.

In the worst case scenario a manager may get skipped, but it won't cost them too much because they can make their pick as soon as they log into the website. It is highly unlikely that more than a couple of picks will have been made in that interval, so the quality of available players will not have changed.

Without that time limit people don't feel any pressure to check the site often and then the draft gets really, really slow. Too slow.

Last year in the Redszone Dynasty League we had one guy that got skipped about five times, and a couple of guys that got skipped once. That was all. And that includes the last few rounds when we used a 6 hour limit.

I have participated in three slow drafts using the time limit in the last couple of years. All of those drafts went smoothly. Sure, people got skipped a few times but it was never a problem and it didn't have any effect on the quality of their teams. I think we will be OK.
    I'm definitely all for the time limit. I think it's a fair policy. As I said, given my situation, I probably won't be affected by it. I just could see how maybe someone checked the site at 11 PM immediately after someone just picked, but still one or two people are picking before them, and go to bed thinking it wouldn't be their turn until the next early afternoon. Then voila, two picks occurred late at night lol. I do think the rule is a good one, but in a situation like that, I could see how someone may feel slighted a bit.

In any event, thanks for answering the question. Not a big deal. Just was curious about that.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Suggestion- If everyone (except "thatcoolguy-not really practical) would give their cell phone or home phone number's to our Commish Atomic Dumpling via email or a Redszone PM the drafting process would be faster. You could even request a text. Atomic said on this thread that he would gladly give his number out if it would help (with the draft). Be sure and share your 1st name with the Commish so Atomic can ask whomever answers your phone for you by your real name. I can't imagine, LOL, if he called and asked my wife and asked her "Is Vada there?" She would tell him that he has the wrong number.

Now no one wants to be bothered around the hours of 11PM through 6 or 7am (if you work a 2nd or 3rd shift let Atomic know) but at all other times this could be a benefit to us all. I have already PM'd my cell # to Atomic. Perhaps you will want to too. Just a thought.
    Last edited by Vada Pinson Fan; 02-27-2010 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post
    Suggestion- If everyone (except "thatcoolguy-not really practical) would give their cell phone or home phone number's to our Commish Atomic Dumpling via email or a Redszone PM the drafting process would be faster. You could even request a text. Atomic said on this thread that he would gladly give his number out if it would help (with the draft). Be sure and share your 1st name with the Commish so Atomic can ask whomever answers your phone for you by your real name. I can't imagine, LOL, if he called and asked my wife and asked her "Is Vada there?" She would tell him that he has the wrong number.

Now no one wants to be bothered around the hours of 11PM through 6 or 7am (if you work a 2nd or 3rd shift let Atomic know) but at all other times this could be a benefit to us all. I have already PM'd my cell # to Atomic. Perhaps you will want to too. Just a thought.
    Great idea. I've just sent Atomic my cell number.

1.11 Tulo
    2.2 Justin Upton

We'll see how that goes...

Draft update

Code:
    Tornon		1.1	Hanley Ramirez
    Brutus the Pimp	1.2	Albert Pujols
    reds1869	1.3	Joe Mauer
    thatcoolguy_22	1.4	Evan Longoria
    Joseph		1.5	Tim Lincecum
    Atomic Dumpling	1.6	Ryan Braun
    HayPay		1.7	Ryan Howard
    Vada Pinson Fan	1.8	Prince Fielder
    HumnHilghtFreel	1.9	Felix Hernandez
    IowaRed		1.10	Matt Kemp
    Bumstead	1.11	Troy Tulowitski
    Captain Hook	1.12	Mark Teixeira
    Captain Hook	2.1	Jose Reyes
    Bumstead	2.2	Justin Upton
    IowaRed		2.3	Miguel Cabrera
    HumnHilghtFreel	2.4	
    Vada Pinson Fan	2.5	
    HayPay		2.6	
    Atomic Dumpling	2.7	
    Joseph		2.8	
    thatcoolguy_22	2.9	
    reds1869	2.10	
    Brutus the Pimp	2.11	
    Tornon		2.12

-- HumnHilghtFreel is now on the clock for pick 2.4

-- The 10 hour time limit is now in effect!

-- You can now add your player to your team from the free agent list after you post your pick.

-- Refer to post #2 in this thread to see all the league rules -- especially the draft rules.

-- Remember to email the next guy in line after you make your picks.

Everyone has done a great job so far. Hopefully everyone is having fun and getting the players they wanted. It would be nice if we can get through at least a couple rounds this weekend.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 02-27-2010 at 01:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    1.11 Tulo
    2.2 Justin Upton

We'll see how that goes...
    Two young stud hitters. What more could you ask for? Well done.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I"m headed home from work right now, ill make my pick as soon as I get to my computer and see the whole board

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    I"m headed home from work right now, ill make my pick as soon as I get to my computer and see the whole board
    What's that? Hideki Matsui is your pick? Good choice!

Turn Off Ads?