Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

I like it. I believe I suggested Google ads for this site a couple years ago. No one wants ads on a site, but I have found the Google ads to not be too annoying. I run a website and we use them and our customers do not complain. (Now, the Info Links that we have are a completely different story -- people hate 'em.)

This is a good step for RedsZone IMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

If the ads don't make enough revenue, I'd recommend looking into the amazon.com associates program. Most of us here have probably shopped on amazon.com at one point or another: https://affiliate-program.amazon.com/
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I'm getting a subscription for myself and for my nephew Willem who posts here. This is the greatest idea, friends. I'm glad I can finally contribute to the wellness and prosperity of a great website like Redszone.com. Boss-Hog, you have my vote for website owner of the year!!!

venicereds

I just lurk, rather than posting, but a tip from a fellow webmaster...the ads will be clicked on more if they blend more into the design...You can track sets of ads separately to see for yourself, but I bet you'll earn more from the horizontal ads that blend into the posts section. I'd actually put a border around them to make them look more like posts.

I'd also look into CPM networks in addition to Adsense. You've probably considered that already, but just in case.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Boss and GIK....

You guys have done a fantastic job with the creation of, and maintenance, of this forum. A majority of us, who have been longstanding members since it's inception, will all attest to that as we've watched this forum grow and grow.

And with growth comes the requirement of needing better technology to handle that "workload" (server, bandwidth, etc). So who is suppose to pay for that? It should be a no-brainer that those who are taking advantage of the service should. And not just a minority, or those willing go fork over a donation.

Do I personally like ads? No. But it's not that big of a deal to me. Besides - you've been more then democratic by giving me the option of turning them off by paying a yearly subscription fee of $30. An option I have chosen to do. And it's an option I took not just because I don't want to see the ads, but because I am more then happy to do my part in helping to keep costs down, and keep this site up and running.

$30 a year? For me, that's pocket change for what I am getting in return from this forum, and I'm more then glad to pay it.

Thanks again to the administrators and moderators for all you do.

On a different note..... I noticed that an earlier poster stated that ORG members can post on the Sundeck. That's not true is it? Was that changed?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC
    I noticed that an earlier poster stated that ORG members can post on the Sundeck. That's not true is it? Was that changed?
    I thought he said they can't post there, but either way, that policy has not changed.

I have absolutely no problem with the ads. As always, Boss and GIK are doing a great job.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Not bad except the ones that split a thread. I think I've read the whole thread when I haven't. Habit change on my part.

They would seem more natural to the right margin.

Nice job, guys. It makes sense considering the growth of the board over the years.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Will the ads be family friendly?
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

91- That's the intent. We're still figuring a lot of this out, so if you see anything questionable, please bear that in mind. You can also send me a PM with the content of the ad, which will help me investigate these concerns.

I forgot to mention this earlier, but we now have a PO Box for those not interested in using PayPal for a subscription.

Just know that it will take longer for your subscription to go into effect as we wait on the mail, bank, etc.

PM me for details.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    I forgot to mention this earlier, but we now have a PO Box for those not interested in using PayPal for a subscription.

Just know that it will take longer for your subscription to go into effect as we wait on the mail, bank, etc.

PM me for details.
    I went ahead and paid through PayPal. Thanks for keeping this great site going.

One thing to nit-pick about. By default, PayPal set up a recurring payment for my RedsZone subscription. I personally hate this type of thing because over time I lose track of all the automatic billings that get scheduled to take place. I am sure by next March I would forget to expect the $30 fee to come out of my account. I prefer to have to make a decision every year to click a few buttons and manually renew. Just my 2 cents worth...
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

how about a 3 yr subscription and/or lifetime subscriptions?

Quote Originally Posted by mbgrayson View Post
    I went ahead and paid through PayPal. Thanks for keeping this great site going.

One thing to nit-pick about. By default, PayPal set up a recurring payment for my RedsZone subscription. I personally hate this type of thing because over time I lose track of all the automatic billings that get scheduled to take place. I am sure by next March I would forget to expect the $30 fee to come out of my account. I prefer to have to make a decision every year to click a few buttons and manually renew. Just my 2 cents worth...
    We can specify whether it's recurring or not. Would the majority prefer it not automatically recur?

Turn Off Ads?