Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

Re: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Ga_Red View Post
    how about a 3 yr subscription and/or lifetime subscriptions?
    I'll have to talk with GIK about this but I think those are too long term for us right now. We want to see how the ads work and whether or not the subscriptions and ad revenue will be enough to pay our expenses.

Thanks for the idea(s).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Also, based on user input, I have move the ads from the left to the right side.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

I'm so used to them everywhere else, I barely noticed them. If we click on them now and again does it help?
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Well. Its about time. I really hope you guys make much more than is needed to keep the site running. You both deserve it.

Part of the Adsense agreement is that the owners of the site can't ask you to click on the ads iirc, which is probably why we haven't seen a post from the owners requesting we do this. And since all content on this site becomes their defacto property, I certainly would never suggest that anyone do that either. I think i will pony up for a subscription at the end of this month though. every little bit helps.

BTW have you considered styling the ads to fit in better with the redszone theme?
    Last edited by TRF; 03-04-2010 at 01:03 PM.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Ooooooh. They are better on the right.

Less disruptive to the brain or something. Maybe I'm just used to them over there from reading Facebook.

Thumbs up.
    "Whatever you choose, however many roads you travel, I hope that you choose not to be a lady. I hope you will find some way to break the rules and make a little trouble out there. And I also hope that you will choose to make some of that trouble on behalf of women." - Nora Ephron

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I would be in favor of the year at a time, instead of the recurring subscription.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    Ooooooh. They are better on the right.

Less disruptive to the brain or something. Maybe I'm just used to them over there from reading Facebook.
    The brain is a hard thing to retrain, betetr to go with standards in design, they are standards after all for a reason.

Note: I don't get the ads here at work, they are blocked. Maybe you could come up with some alternate content that points people to payment options if the ad content is blocked otherwise I get white space.

Moving the adds to the right made them a lot less painful, for me at least.
    Last edited by reds44; 03-04-2010 at 02:24 PM.

The adds drove me nuts so I bought a subscription. In hindsight I probably should have donated in the past, but I never did.

For me $30 really is pittance for the daily enjoyment I get from RZ. I hope the adds work, but I like the site much more without the adds.

Thanks for putting the ads on the right side. It makes a huge difference.

Ed
    Whenever any of our players have good seasons, we should trade them. When they have lousy seasons, we should keep them ... until they have good seasons. Then, of course, we should trade them. -osuceltic, Jan, 2007

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Boss and GIK....

You guys have done a fantastic job with the creation of, and maintenance, of this forum. A majority of us, who have been longstanding members since it's inception, will all attest to that as we've watched this forum grow and grow.

And with growth comes the requirement of needing better technology to handle that "workload" (server, bandwidth, etc). So who is suppose to pay for that? It should be a no-brainer that those who are taking advantage of the service should. And not just a minority, or those willing go fork over a donation.

Do I personally like ads? No. But it's not that big of a deal to me. Besides - you've been more then democratic by giving me the option of turning them off by paying a yearly subscription fee of $30. An option I have chosen to do. And it's an option I took not just because I don't want to see the ads, but because I am more then happy to do my part in helping to keep costs down, and keep this site up and running.

$30 a year? For me, that's pocket change for what I am getting in return from this forum, and I'm more then glad to pay it.

Thanks again to the administrators and moderators for all you do.

On a different note..... I noticed that an earlier poster stated that ORG members can post on the Sundeck. That's not true is it? Was that changed?
    I agree 100%! I have not been here long but I too am super grateful for what Boss and GUK have done with this website. And yes, obviously, the people who should pay are the people who visit the site, NOT a small minority. And I'm the same, I actually prefer to see ads and don't mind, but I feel it's only right to subscribe. Maybe not everyone feels that way, but I do. It is just what is right, to help support this community.

And I don't think Org members can post in the Sun Deck, but maybe Boss-Hog can answer that better!

The ads are not that intrusive. Could I suggest moving the banner ones in thread, though, to either at the top of the first post, or the bottom of the last post? Other forums I have frequented seem to implement them like that, and I think that's the best way for them to fit in.

Senor Votto

Can we get the other ads below the quick reply?

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Might I suggest using Google AdManager as a means to facilitating your ad slots? Its a seperate system meant to allow for more control and will allow you to sell those slots to the highest bidder or through partnerships you can setup yourself. And when those partnerships expire or run it's course, the admanager will then default to google adsense or even an affiliate partner (like Commission Junction, AdBright etc etc)

You can then sell certain placements to local I can even imagine A&E windows buying space if you can get them on the horn and sell them the space. It would make for more revenue generation utilizing those ad slots.

Just a thought.

Any reason the odds moved back to the left?

Turn Off Ads?