Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

Re: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

Just another vote to keep them on the right side and between the posts and the quick reply. They should get plenty of views there without being annoyingly in the way.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

All-

The vertical Google Ads will be moving shortly back to the left-hand side. They will more than likely remain there permanently. After compiling a stable sample, their placement is significantly more effective in that location.

Expect a more detailed post regarding ads, subscriptions, etc within the next week or so.

Thank you.

My bet is that the ads are so annoying on the left that more people paid to remove them.

That's not the case. We've had little interest in subscriptions. The CTR on the left is much higher. Since we're moving to this format, it's a necessity to move them back.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

If people don't like the ads - there is a simple fix - pony up the cash. Putting them in the highest profile spot is fine GIK & Boss. Do whatever you guys have to do to keep the site afloat.

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    If people don't like the ads - there is a simple fix - pony up the cash. Putting them in the highest profile spot is fine GIK & Boss. Do whatever you guys have to do to keep the site afloat.
    Agreed, I'm just making a UI observation. I spend all day talking about this stuff, I can't avoid it.

Either way the ads will eventually blend to all of our eyes, left or right. we are highly adaptable beings.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

Typically, website visitors read left to right like a book. And since its more obtrusive on the left (obviously through the complaints it showing there) it will also gain more clicks as certain items in that ad will appeal. So it makes sense to me you would move them there. Mo money

I still recommend Google Ad manager. I implemented it on our Kidslinked.com website and its so much better to control for partnerships and affiliates.

I don't get why someone would complain about the ads on the left side- hey, that's where BOSS wants them and it's where they should be. End of story. If it's a big enough of a deal then pay the money to support this site. I know many here have and will continue to do so. It's a great site with great people talkin about a great team. #1 Reds site on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by frenetic wave View Post
    I don't get why someone would complain about the ads on the left side- hey, that's where BOSS wants them and it's where they should be. End of story. If it's a big enough of a deal then pay the money to support this site. I know many here have and will continue to do so. It's a great site with great people talkin about a great team. #1 Reds site on the web.
    Lord knows we wouldn't want anyone to have an opinion here on RZ except about baseball eh?

I just want to say +1 to the decision to put the ads in this way.

The intrusion is teeny-tiny. Hope the ads are helping pay for the electrons.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Lord knows we wouldn't want anyone to have an opinion here on RZ except about baseball eh?
    Sorry west, I just get so enthusiastic sometimes, especially when we're talking about Boss and the great work he does for this site. I didn't mean to accuse anyone, just showing my appreciation for the #1 Reds site and the #1 Reds fans and #1 Reds webmaster in the web!

Good call on the ads - this should have been done awhile ago.

Also, just an FYI, and I'm not sure if anybody else has this problem ... But I've been pretty much unable to navigate the site on my Droid since the ads were installed. If I try to click on any link on the right half of the page (such as page numbers in a thread), I end up getting directed over to Amazon. It seems as though the link to the Amazon ad is somehow active over half the screen.

Nevertheless, this isn't a big deal for me since I don't really use the phone's browser all that much. But I'm wondering if anybody else has had similar problems with smartphones and if there might be an easy fix.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Thanks, Cyclone, for the heads-up. We may just need to minimize or relocate the amazon referral ad.

Not a problem, GIK. Let me know if you want me to test anything out on the Droid if you guys do make changes.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

How about now?

Turn Off Ads?