Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

Re: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

Just tried it out again ... the issue on the right half of the screen is largely gone, but now it appears to have relocated to the bottom half of the screen. There does seem to be some improvement, though, because I can navigate the site somewhat now whereas before it was very difficult. It's definitely the Amazon ad, not any of the others.

I'm wondering if this is a Droid issue or an all around smartphone issue - do any iphone or Blackberry users have this issue? One thing's for sure, please don't remove any ads on my account due to this.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

2. Turn Off Ads?

Tried it on my Pre and Hero and didn't have any of the problems you were describing with either one. Could be a Droid issue I guess.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Which browser are you using, Cyclone? I tried it again on my Hero using the Opera mini browser and it responded exactly as you described.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Thanks for checking, Razor. I'm still just using the default browser as I don't use it enough to be worried about checking different browsers.

I have noticed that since GIK moved the ad, I can at least move around the site in a functional manner now. The Post Reply feature at the top of the threads works, and the page links at the top of the threads also work (the buttons/links under the thread get tied up in the ad link).
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

I've had some problem with the Amazon ad on my iphone using both Safari and Opera-Mini, but nothing critical. I thought vBulletin had a mobile version? (I have no clue how that all works)
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Lakewood Ranch, FL (by way of Columbus, OH)

http://m.redszone.com should also work

Tried the mobile version using Palm Pre; but when I click on ORG, I get the archives.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    Tried the mobile version using Palm Pre; but when I click on ORG, I get the archives.
    The Mobile version is the archive version. It's really for browsing only. It sorts all the threads in each forum by ID# rather than date of last post in that thread. You just have to go to the last page to see the most recent stuff.

Are these new giant ads here to stay? Does the donation reduce the size at least?

They are currently taking up half the screen and are very ugly. I do not have a problem paying for the forums within reason but these new ads just kill the readability of the forum.
    "When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"

Subscribing/donating does not reduce the ad size - it completely eliminates them. Today's changes were more or less due to a lack of revenue that the previous style / subscription system generated over a long period of time. We depend on this revenue to 1). pay all expenses associated with the site and 2). collect a nominal profit for the time and energy we've spent over the past 10 and a half years to keep the site up and running.

We are still going to be tweaking the ad setup until we find the combination that is most profitable, so definitely expect further changes to what you currently see. We would love to hear from users any ways that we can have advertisements but keep them as unintrusive to you as possible. We are able to customize the ads pretty heavily, so please provide your input if you have any suggestions.

If you have any questions or feedback, please post them here or PM GIK and I. If you would like to subscribe to remove all ads, please click here.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbachunk View Post
    Are these new giant ads here to stay? Does the donation reduce the size at least?

They are currently taking up half the screen and are very ugly. I do not have a problem paying for the forums within reason but these new ads just kill the readability of the forum.

My work network blocks em.

However at home they are a nightmare in the world of ad placement

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My work network blocks em.

However at home they are a nightmare in the world of ad placement
    Point taken...if you have any ideas/suggestions as far as size, placement, etc., I'm all ears. I've read several articles that state the places we currently have them have proven to be among the most effective.

Disclaimer...as of this moment I am a RZ Moocher.

But my question is what is the end game of the recent ad layout switch? Are you hoping more ads get clicked on with the recent changes which equals more $?

Do you see what posters click/purchase from the ads listed?

I have no problem with the ads. Considering they are keeping the best site on the internet free for everyone, it's well worth it.

I hope you guys make more than a nominal profit from all this. You deserve it.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Turn Off Ads?