Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

Re: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

How much money do you need, Boss? You may have more luck by coming out and saying, "This site costs $1200 (or whatever it is) annually to operate. We currently have $X raised."

I could have contributed much more than I have over the years if the financials were a bit more transparent.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Paint,

Thanks for the offer but that model is definitely not one that GIK and I want to go back to. In short, it's not fair for a tiny portion of the site to subsidize the costs for everyone. People are still free to donate but going back to that model as the primary way to pay the bills is not something we are going to do.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    How much money do you need, Boss? You may have more luck by coming out and saying, "This site costs $1200 (or whatever it is) annually to operate. We currently have $X raised."

I could have contributed much more than I have over the years if the financials were a bit more transparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    That is an option as well...thanks for the feedback. It would of course mean we would have to issue prorated refunds to existing subscribers if we decide to do that, but it's something to consider. Thanks again.
    That's true, but you could offer to just extend the membership longer for those that would have paid more and I think most people would be receptive of that.

For those suggesting alternative layouts, consider that the most "effective" ads tend to be those which are most disruptive to the consumption of content, almost by definition. Ask them to be less intrusive is essentially asking them to be less effective.

I don't see the ads, but it does sound like perhaps there's an opportunity to put 2 or 3 ads side by side rather than a single center justified one without taking up any additional real estate. Perhaps that would increase overall click rate?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    For those suggesting alternative layouts, consider that the most "effective" ads tend to be those which are most disruptive to the consumption of content, almost by definition. Ask them to be less intrusive is essentially asking them to be less effective.
    Except that intrusive ads are the bane of the internet. If they result in members visiting the site less often then that would limit how effective the ads would be. People spending less time on the site would result in the ads getting less hits. The decision has already been made to go with ads. And it's not like RedsZone has the floating ads that everyone loves. But, imo, it's a matter of finding a balance between finding the right layout that includes the ads so RedsZone can be self-supporting and worth the time and energy put into it and not having the ads be too intrusive (and detract from the site).
    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I don't see the ads, but it does sound like perhaps there's an opportunity to put 2 or 3 ads side by side rather than a single center justified one without taking up any additional real estate. Perhaps that would increase overall click rate?
    Log out sometime and take a look around. I think finding just the right way to do things can be tricky. Taking advantage of the white space that's already on the site would help though. I already mentioned the white space at the top of the page next to the RedsZone logo. Heck, while I'm writing this post there's white space that's to the left of this box that could be used.

Anyway, I'm just throwing my $.02 out there. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to find the right setup but good luck with it.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 11-15-2010 at 06:30 AM.

Our goal is not to be as intrusive as possible; however, while the old ad layout may have been user friendly, it did not generate nearly enough revenue. I appreciate the input you and everyone has provided so far, but as I mentioned, the header area to the left and/or right of the forum logo is not an effective place to place an ad based on everything I've read on the subject. We need to find a happy medium between layouts that do not detract from the user experience and layouts that produce sufficient revenue for the site. That's going to take some time to experiment to find which ads are the most effective without being overly intrusive.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Except that intrusive ads are the bane of the internet. If they result in members visiting the site less often then that would limit how effective the ads would be. People spending less time on the site would result in the ads getting less hits. The decision has already been made to go with ads. And it's not like RedsZone has the floating ads that everyone loves. But, imo, it's a matter of finding a balance between finding the right layout that includes the ads so RedsZone can be self-supporting and worth the time and energy put into it and not having the ads be too intrusive (and detract from the site).

Log out sometime and take a look around. I think finding just the right way to do things can be tricky. Taking advantage of the white space that's already on the site would help though. I already mentioned the white space at the top of the page next to the RedsZone logo. Heck, while I'm writing this post there's white space that's to the left of this box that could be used.

Anyway, I'm just throwing my $.02 out there. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to find the right setup but good luck with it.

Do you get revenue on an ad click....or does there have to be a transaction.?

We receive revenue based on a number of factors, including number of ad impressions and clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Do you get revenue on an ad click....or does there have to be a transaction.?

I do consider these ads intrusive but it's a minor inconvenience. It's a hassle to have to hit a down button or whatever immediately, everytime you load a page but I understand the need to pay the bills. If these ads bring in more revenue then I would understand why it has to be that way

I click on the RZ ones to be allowed every now and then to help out the site...

I'm just amazed in this day and age of internet browsers that anyone allows intrusive ads or pop-ups to muck up their internet experience.

I have changed the 'after first post' ad type from a medium rectangle to a leaderboard (banner). The other two ad placements are unchanged. To me, this type of ad works much better with the existing site layout, so we'll see how this change affects revenue.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I have changed the 'after first post' ad type from a medium rectangle to a leaderboard (banner). The other two ad placements are unchanged. To me, this type of ad works much better with the existing site layout, so we'll see how this change affects revenue.
    Boss, I think this is a bunch of whining by people. I'm here for the content of the site and when a thread is good I'm scrolling down the page as I read anyway. The ads don't intrude on that one bit. If this were a sight where we come to see videos or look at pictures it might be different, but we're mainly reading and posting. The ads don't pop-up and don't lock up my computer so they really don't interfere. They don't effect posting at all and navigating around an ad to read is no different than doing so in a magazine or newspaper.

People, if you hate it that much, then make it stop with a donation. I don't see the need to make such a fuss. As far as I'm concerned, if it brings in more cash, make 'em bigger and uglier.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Boss, I think this is a bunch of whining by people. I'm here for the content of the site and when a thread is good I'm scrolling down the page as I read anyway. The ads don't intrude on that one bit. If this were a sight where we come to see videos or look at pictures it might be different, but we're mainly reading and posting. The ads don't pop-up and don't lock up my computer so they really don't interfere. They don't effect posting at all and navigating around an ad to read is no different than doing so in a magazine or newspaper.

People, if you hate it that much, then make it stop with a donation. I don't see the need to make such a fuss. As far as I'm concerned, if it brings in more cash, make 'em bigger and uglier.
    Glad someone said it! Can't agree more!

I thought RZ needed ads years ago. I know how hard you tried to keep from going in this direction, but it was the right move. I do prefer the ads inline with the contens as opposed to along the left or right hand side, too easily ignored. I don't think a banner ad at the top would hurt, and in fact while it would be the least visited ad, it would fill some blank space.

I'd also consider lowering the membership to $10. $30 is a lot these days for a lot of people. I wish I had money to subscribe, but 2 kids in college and one in dance school, well a second job may be forthcoming. If by lowering the cost to a more palatable $10 brings 4 times as many subscribers, you come out ahead. Just a thought.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

FYI, the subscription special of $10 off (http://www.redszone.com/forums/annou....php?f=31&a=27) is running through 4/23/2012.

Thanks!

Turn Off Ads?