Turn Off Ads?

Thread: This Date In Reds History (4/3/10): Past Lineups

This Date In Reds History (4/3/10): Past Lineups

It's that time again! The first This Date In Reds History of the year. For those of you who are unfamiliar with TDIRH, we will "turn back the clock" in five-year increments and look at games played on this date. This year, we will feature the following seasons--1955, 1960, 1965, 1970, 1975, 1980, 1985, 1990, 1995, 2000, and 2005. As you can see, a lot of very fun things are going to happen during these seasons.

I started this in the middle of the 2007 season when a lot of us were puzzled at Jerry Narron's lineups, and I thought it would be interesting to see what some of the lineups in the past looked like on that date. Several of us have had a lot of fun with this since then, and I hope it will be just as enjoyable this year! So, without any further delay, let's light this candle!

10 years ago (2000), a 3-3 tie on Opening Day at Riverfront Stadium vs. the Brewers in a game called in the top of the sixth inning due to rain.

Milwaukee Brewers
    Marquis Grissom cf
    Mark Loretta ss
    Jeromy Burnitz rf
    Geoff Jenkins lf
    Jose Hernandez 3b
    Kevin Barker 1b
    Ronnie Belliard 2b
    Henry Blanco c
    Steve Woodard p

Cincinnati
    Pokey Reese 2b
    Barry Larkin ss
    Ken Griffey Jr. cf
    Dante Bichette rf
    Dmitri Young 1b
    Eddie Taubensee c
    Aaron Boone 3b
    Michael Tucker lf
    Pete Harnisch p

WP: None.
    LP: None.
    HR: CIN - Michael Tucker (1).

There was even more excitement in the air than usual for Opening Day, as Ken Griffey Jr. made his Cincinnati Reds debut in this game. I was at this game--my buddies and I had tickets in the Red Seats in RF under the roof, so we stayed dry when the rain came. Our section chanted "blue seats suck!" at the people in the Blue Seats scurrying for cover during the delay.

The real highlight of the game was during the rain delay when a fan, who was obviously thoroughly lubricated by his favorite adult beverage, jumped out of the stands near the Reds' bullpen, and ran to the tarp-covered infield, where he put on an excellent head-first sliding exhibition on the rain-covered tarp. Hilarity then ensued as he led Cincinnati's Finest on a chase around the field, which culminated when he crawled into the corrigated steel pipe around which the tarp is wrapped when not in use. (I have noticed since then that the Reds have both ends of the pipe capped to prevent future instances of this from happening.) He then evidently began rocking back and forth in an attempt to roll the pipe. Eventually, the CPD persuaded him to come out, and they took him away.
    Last edited by Big Klu; 04-03-2010 at 11:28 AM.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: This Date In Reds History (4/3/10): Past Lineups

Would the Kevin Barker in the Brewer's lineup be the same Kevin Barker that played for the Bats/Reds last season?

Nice. I love reading these threads. It looks like we'll have some good teams to follow this year - the 1970 NL Champs, the 1975 World Series champs, the 1990 World Series champs, the 1995 NL Central division champs, 2000 - Griffey's first season with the Reds, and though the 2005 Reds were terrible, they had a great offense as they led the NL in runs scored with 820.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Would the Kevin Barker in the Brewer's lineup be the same Kevin Barker that played for the Bats/Reds last season?

The same.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Nice. I love reading these threads. It looks like we'll have some good teams to follow this year - the 1970 NL Champs, the 1975 World Series champs, the 1990 World Series champs, the 1995 NL Central division champs, 2000 - Griffey's first season with the Reds, and though the 2005 Reds were terrible, they had a great offense as they led the NL in runs scored with 820.
    Also, the 1955 team has Big Klu and Wally Post both going for 40+ HR's, the 1965 season is Frank Robinson's last as a Red, and the 1985 season sees the Reds return to respectability after three years of wandering in the wilderness--highlighted by Pete Rose's epic quest for Ty Cobb.

Welcome back to these fine threads. Thanks in advance for an interesting year Klu.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Also, the 1955 team has Big Klu and Wally Post both going for 40+ HR's, the 1965 season is Frank Robinson's last as a Red, and the 1985 season sees the Reds return to respectability after three years of wandering in the wilderness--highlighted by Pete Rose's epic quest for Ty Cobb.
    Nearly all these seasons we will be looking back on are interesting in their own little way. Three World Series teams aren't bad either.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?