Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Fantasy Baseball Question

Fantasy Baseball Question

i have a fantasy baseball question....

I am in a 5x5 league in which you start 9 pitchers(saves are big), 1catcher, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, 1b/3b, 2b/ss,5OF and on utility(any players)

here is my team:
    Barry Zito, Roy Halladay, Wade Miller, AJ Burnett, Roy Oswalt, Josh Beckett, Brad Penny, Alan Embree, Braden Looper, Tim Spooneybarger, and Jason Schmidt

AJ Pierzynski, Paul Konerko, Luis Castillo, Alex Rodriguez, Edgardo Alfonzo, Derrek Lee, Christian Guzman, Manny Ramirez, Jim Edmonds, Adam Dunn, Juan Pierre, Jeremy Giambi and Scott Spezio

should i do this trade?
    i give up: Paul Konerko, Jim Edmonds, and Alan Embree

i receive: Billy Koch(i need saves), Frank Thomas(can take 1b for Konerko), Phil Nevin(can be utility, removing Spezio to bench), and Jose Cruz Jr( taking Edmonds place)

is it worth it for me?

thanks redzoners

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Since nobody responded I will....

I would say no on that deal.... 1 huge reason is Frank Thomas' health. Paul Konerko is probably/will put up better #'s than Thomas now in his career. Konerko is intering his prime and looks like he may have a chance to do a lot better batting between Thomas and Magglio or infront/behind them. Phil Nevin has the same mark on him, he is a health threat considering he broke his leg last year and he is at odds with the team trying to move him.
    But its your call i just gave you my opinion.

If the only reason why you are doing it is that you need save, I would not do the trade, Konerko and Edmonds are the two best players in the trade. In my opinion, you sould never give up quantity for quality. Since you are limited to players that you can play, that trade would be a waste because you are dilluting your talent and picking up 4 guys that can't al play. When you insert Koch, what pitcher would he replace or would you drop to make roster space? Konerko is better than Thomas, Edmonds better then Cruz, so you are replacing inferior players to pick up saves. Saves can be overrated and you can pick them up in other ways, guys that get saves come in go look at Foukle, Smoltz, Izzy...... your best bet would be to try to trade some of your SP for a stud RP or hope to pick some saves on the back end by getting guys that are new to the role. The best place I found for posting these questions is www.rototimes.com. It has a great forum for things like this.
    Whoa whoa whoa, Miss Lippy. The part of the story I don't like is that the little boy gave up looking for Happy after an hour. He didn't put posters up or anything, he just sat on the porch like a goon and waited. That little boy's gotta think 'You got a pet. You got a responsibility.' If your dog is lost you don't look for an hour then call it quits. You get your ass out there and you find that f***ing dog!

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

First off ramp, very nice team.

Secondly, I wouldn't do the trade for the same reason haassolo mentioned. You're giving up players that are very valuable to your offense just for an upgrade in saves.

You have Embree and Looper as your main closers. That will need to be addressed if you hope to be competitive in saves. Embree is in a closer by committee situation, although he should get the most saves in that situation. Looper is similar. Spooneybarger is good backup, but if you can get someone like MacDougall (KC), Matt Anderson (DET) or DeJean (MIL) off the waiver wire, or possibly even Witasick, or whoever is set to replace Hoffman and drop Spooneybarger, I would do that first.

If none of them are available, I would do the following.
    Post a note to your league that Halladay is available for an upper eschelon closer. I feel that Halladay will struggle to produce the same numbers as last year. Your pitching staff is still excellent without him. I wouldn't give up Zito, Miller, Oswalt, Burnett, and Schmidt as they are too valuable (first 3) or you won't get equal return (last 2). That leaves Beckett, Penny, and Halladay. Beckett and Penny should be good behind the other pitchers you have and likely won't net you a good closer if traded. I guess you could say that Halladay, or Schmidt would be the player you should dangle for a closer. With Zito, Miller, Oswalt, Burnett you should be covered in Wins, ERA, K's, WHIP, and IP. Halladay had better wins, IP, and ERA than Schmidt, while Schmidt had better K's, and the same WHIP and plays for the better team. For thosereasons, Halladay will net a better return, and is the guy I would trade. I would look for a elite, healthy closer in return. Smotlz, Nen, Wagner, Percival, Benitez, Gagne, and Guardado would be the only names I'd be interested in. If none of those guys are offered, don't do the deal and wait for an injury or to see who wins the closer by committee competitions or who replaces injured closers.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 02-19-2003 at 12:28 PM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

So we all agree in saying "Dont do the trade"

Originally posted by EmtyRedsFan
    So we all agree in saying "Dont do the trade"
    I do. It's a nice trade from the team that offered it. He dangles a trade that offers an upgrade in saves, and tries to upgrade at the other positions at the same time, offering two "name" players with health concerns. It's not a rediculous trade by any means, but it's not one that I would accept from the receiving end.
    Last edited by Red Leader; 02-19-2003 at 12:57 PM.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

hey guys thanks for the unput....

i really appreciate it...

and i just claimed Macdougal off waivers...

Last edited by ramp101; 02-19-2003 at 03:23 PM.

I'm going to disagree somewhat with what has been the consensus so far. Ramp, if you could get the other guy to take out Jose Cruz Jr. and get back another outfielder, then I'd have to think long and hard about it. Just out of curiousity, what does the rest of his roster look like? I'm sure that if he wants Edmonds, Konerko and Embree that badly you could get him to give up a little more.

Thanks for the update, ramp. Good move. Hope it works out for you. Keep your eye open for closers throughout spring training. Witasick is the favorite to replace Hoffman at this time, but that doesn't mean he will have the job all year if he struggles. With the depth you have in starters, you could afford to trade 1 of them, and saves is really the only category I could see your team struggling in. Your offense is nice and balanced with power and speed, and your starting pitching, as I've said, is excellent. I know you're a Marlins fan, but trading Beckett and / or Penny for a good closer will only help your team. Unfortunately both of their stock in fantasy games is relatively low right now. If either gets off to a hot start, I wouldn't hesitate to move them, though. What site are you playing on?
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

starters are a dime a dozen in this league..... most teams have 1-2 starter 3-4 relivers,3-4 closers.....i concentrated on offense first then closers(oh well)

brad penny could get me jack crap... i picked him up off the waiver wire....

i have been trying "to throw in" Wade Miller or Halladay or even Oswalt in deals to sweeten the pot but no takers....

and that guy's team i was thinking of trading with.... he has crap for the OF.... and he wont throw anyone else in the deal....

thanks again guys.... cant wait for the season....

Marlins are having Dempster bobblehead doll day when you come to the Pro in May....... keep a look out

Turn Off Ads?