Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unofficial Video Game & System Thread (Part III)

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Re: The Unofficial Video Game & System Thread (Part III)

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Steam is a godsend for PC gamers. If you're willing to wait a few months after a game releases, they often put it on sale for 25-50% off with much deeper discounts at later sales like their summer and year-end blowouts.
    When they have a Steam Blowout - it's amazing some of the deals. I got Portal for free - and own every Pop Cap game & every Dawn of War Game thanks to some deals at the end of last year. They can really suck you in with some of those deals.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Activision is going following EA and making COD fans buy a subscription to play online now....which REALLY sucks if you're a Xbox 360 owner, cause we already pay for an online subscription....
    Let's make some noise!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_CaseyRules View Post
    Activision is going following EA and making COD fans buy a subscription to play online now....which REALLY sucks if you're a Xbox 360 owner, cause we already pay for an online subscription....
    If Activision charges the fees, I bet almost every COD player will pay them. The easiest way to derail their plan is to refuse to do so in large numbers and to not buy their game. Vote with your wallet and they'll get the point. Of course, that is easy for me to say as someone who isn't into COD.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    When will Madden 11 be out. And, for the ps2, are there any improvements since Madden 09 besides roster updates (and the new broadcasting, I guess)??

Madden 11 is out August 10th. I am not sure about the improvements.

^^^
    Thanks.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sean_CaseyRules View Post
    Where did you hear this? I follow a couple of gaming sites and none of them have anything remotely close to this on it.

If the biggest game out there suddenly went from free to pay for MP it would be huge, huge news.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    Where did you hear this? I follow a couple of gaming sites and none of them have anything remotely close to this on it.

If the biggest game out there suddenly went from free to pay for MP it would be huge, huge news.
    There was an article last year that they were thinking about it, but nothing recent.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

It is rumored that Infinity Ward is working on a Call of Duty MMO that would be fee based. That is what caused the initial uproar and we all know how stories spin out of control.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    There was an article last year that they were thinking about it, but nothing recent.
    I remember reading something a while back that indicated developers couldn't charge for online multiplayer if they wanted to be part of XBL.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I frequent the Gamestop's in the area where I live, and they were all in a huff talking about it one day when I came in. I don't really know where they heard it from, didn't ask, but they all said that it's going to start with the new COD coming out, and the older ones will follow suit.
    Let's make some noise!

Sorry to double post. Just found then by searching into google. Check it out.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/...line/?news=123

As news of a 15-percent decline in software sales for the month of June begins to sink in, analysts are looking for ways to buoy the sagging video game industry. One analyst, Michael Pachter for Wedbush Morgan Securities, is suggesting that part of the cause for the industry’s four consecutive months of decline might be because of the rise of online gaming. And his solution is to change online gaming to a subscription-based model.

“We think that the overall decline was due to a very large number of people playing multiplayer online games for free on PlayStation Network, and for an annual fee with unlimited game play on Xbox Live,” Pachter told Industry Gamers. “We estimate that a total of 12 million consumers are playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for an average of 10 hours per week on the two platforms’ respective networks, and the continued enjoyment of this game (along with an estimated 6 million Halo online players, 3 million EA Sports players, and 5 million players playing other games, such as Battlefield, Red Dead Redemption, Left 4 Dead and Grand Theft Auto) has sucked the available time away from what otherwise would be spent playing newly purchased games.”

Pachter also blamed Nintendo’s bundles (that sell two games but only count as one in terms of sales), as well as consumers buying clearance and used software. But the real problem, according to Pachter, is the increased value of online gaming that encourages a longer lifespan for the games which discourages gamers from buying new games.

As the Call of Duty series is far and away the online leader for consoles, Pachter recommends that Activision lead by example and begin to charge for online gaming. Activision CEO Bobby Kotick has already stated that he would like to take the Call of Duty franchise in the direction of a subscription model, and he – somewhat bewilderingly- thinks that gamers are excited by the prospect t0o.

“I think our audiences are clamoring for it. If you look at what they’re playing on Xbox Live today, we’ve had 1.7 billion hours of multiplayer play on Live,” Kotick told the Wall Street Journal “I think we could do a lot more to really satisfy the interests of the customers. I think we could create so many things, and make the game even more fun to play. We haven’t really had a chance to do that yet.”

Whether or not the fans are “clamoring for it” or not, the Call of Duty franchise seems to be unstoppable for now, as the next game in the franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops, has already seen more pre-orders than its record breaking predecessor, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Black Ops is due November 9.

“We think that it is incumbent upon Activision, with the most popular multiplayer game, to take the first step to address monetization of multiplayer. It is too early to tell whether that will be a monthly subscription, tournament entry fees, microtransaction fees, or a combination of all three, but we expect to see the company take some action by year-end, when Call of Duty Black Ops launches,” Pachter said.

Despite the sales numbers, the outlook might not be as bleak as it seems for the industry. Software sales are sagging, but hardware has actually seen an increase, and some analysts – including the NPD Group’s Anita Frazier – believe that sales should rebound by the end of the year.

“Looking at historical seasonality for the industry, total year U.S. revenues (of new physical sales) could come in anywhere between $18 and $21 billion,” Frazier said. “Given the strong slate of content still to come, and the release of the Move and Kinect controllers, which I believe will spark additional interest in gaming, I think we could see the total year new physical retail sales come in at $20B. We’ll also be reporting consumer reported sales of digitally distributed, rental and used games content to provide insight into those non-POS sources of game sales.”

As of now, this is still all speculation, but if Kotick has his way and Activision does begin to charge for its online gaming in order to make up for lost revenue from declining software sales, expect others to follow suit.
    Let's make some noise!

Eh, I hope they do charge for online multiplayer in the COD series. I'll switch off to something else, and the hardcores can have their own little playground to keep them happy.

All the more reason to play games that allow you to host your own servers (TF2 and other Source games, Bad Company 2, etc.).

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    pretty badass. make sure to post some of ur hd vids
    Here's a couple videos I recently did. Nothing too special, just some random gameplay. Be sure to scale it up to 720p for full effect

YouTube - Is this camping Vol 2. 30-4 FFA

YouTube - Is this camping? 30-8 FFA MW2

So -- anyone else get the new StarCraft? I'm thinking about picking it up for my Macbook Pro. I played loving heck out of the original when I was in high school and college.

Turn Off Ads?