Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cards frontrunners for Oswalt

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Re: Cards frontrunners for Oswalt

I'm surprised this board hasn't jumped on this topic like its the end of the world and hurled every possible insult at Walt yet.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

I just can't see the Cards being able to trade for Oswalt. Aside from the fact that the Cardinals are thin on prospects, I can't see them being able to take on Oswalt's contract.

According to Cots the Cardinals are already on the hook for approximately $76 million in 2011 for Holliday, Pujols, Carpenter, Lohse, Wainwright, Molina and Franklin. Additionally Ryan Ludwick will be entering his third year of arbitration and stands to make even more than the $5.45 mil that he is making this year. The situation becomes even more murky in 2012 when they have around $60 million tied up in Holliday, Carpenter, Lohse, Wainwright and Molina plus the $20+ million it will take to keep Albert Pujols.

I just don't see the Cards being able to find a way to add another $16 million in both 2011 and 2012 in order to add Oswalt.

check back tommorow it will be. if the cards get oswalt, kiss the central goodbye

As a Cards fan I don't see this happening, nor am I sure I want it to happen. This would undoubtedly cost us Shelby Miller and that is too steep a price to pay for an older (yet still good) expensive Oswalt. As was mentioned by others, the Cards need to have as many cost controlled guys as possible for the inevitable Pujols extension. While it'd be nice for this year, I just see far too much long term damage for this to be worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    I just can't see the Cards being able to trade for Oswalt. Aside from the fact that the Cardinals are thin on prospects, I can't see them being able to take on Oswalt's contract.

According to Cots the Cardinals are already on the hook for approximately $76 million in 2011 for Holliday, Pujols, Carpenter, Lohse, Wainwright, Molina and Franklin. Additionally Ryan Ludwick will be entering his third year of arbitration and stands to make even more than the $5.45 mil that he is making this year. The situation becomes even more murky in 2012 when they have around $60 million tied up in Holliday, Carpenter, Lohse, Wainwright and Molina plus the $20+ million it will take to keep Albert Pujols.

I just don't see the Cards being able to find a way to add another $16 million in both 2011 and 2012 in order to add Oswalt.
    The rumor mentions Oswalt being open to deferring money with STL. Their payroll is between 90 and 100 every season. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for them to up it to 110 or so for a few years with as good of a group of core players they have. And it's not like they're hurting for attendance. They've only had 1 season since 1998 where they drew fewer than 3 million, and that was 2.9 million in 03.
    Last edited by Rijo's Ghost; 07-22-2010 at 01:20 AM.

I think Oswalt would be a good addition here in Cincy... But I would hate to give up Alonso, Fancisco, and others for him and his Salary...

I wouldn"t bring him in he would be ace.

It's not going to happen, Oswalt is in the fourth year of a five-year, $73 million deal. The contract, which pays in $15 million this season and $16 million in 2011, includes a $16 million club option for 2012. In order to waive his no-trade clause, Oswalt reportedly wants the team that acquires him to pick up that option year.

The option year is a killer.

Roy is also on the late end of his career....not saying he dont have a few good years left...but he is already losing a few MPH on his FB, his slider does not slide as good as it once did....he is still a great pitcher, but his trend is going to keep going down....its not going upward anymore....so all that money is to much for me....and with the wealth of arms we have right now, Roy is just another clog.....going to the Cardinals might help them this year, but its only going to hurt them in the future so I say go ahead and grab him up St. Louis, go get him.....your farm system is already in shambles, and getting Roy is going to at least take your best guy available.

I see no way the Cardinals make a move for Roy.....

Name the last time a team traded away its ace not only to a team in the same league, but in the exact same division? This is not happening. Bank on it.

Quote Originally Posted by krm1580 View Post
    Name the last time a team traded away its ace not only to a team in the same league, but in the exact same division? This is not happening. Bank on it.
    About two or three weeks ago. Cliff Lee from Seattle to Texas. While it doesn't happen very often, it does happen.
    Last edited by texasdave; 07-22-2010 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post

When did the Cards become the Pirates and not be willing to spend money?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    check back tommorow it will be. if the cards get oswalt, kiss the central goodbye
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    I think Oswalt would be a good addition here in Cincy... But I would hate to give up Alonso, Fancisco, and others for him and his Salary...

Can't happen, Oswalt has already said he won't play here.

Turn Off Ads?