Turn Off Ads?
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 303637383940

Thread: 8/3/10 Reds @ Pirates--Stubbs Has Lost His Job

Resident PED Expert

Re: 8/3/10 Reds @ Pirates--Stubbs Has Lost His Job

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    This is one of those "could have been" games which are a bit frustrating.

No one expects to come back from 6 down, but it hurts to get so close. REDS left a lot of men on base tonight.

I'm trying not to blame Dusty for everything (making a real effort), but his use of the bench was very "interesting".
    I'm not saying it cost the Reds the game, but, it might have. No way do you waste the best player in the NL to a IBB and sacrifice defense in that situation. Let Janish bat. if he gets out, you have Votto and Rolen to lead off the inning. Cairo has come through time and time again for this club, that in itself stacked the odds against him.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I'm all for winning, 44. If Dickerson sparks this club, I'll be elated. But this board continues to have its favorites. You can go back to Denorfia, Bray (which I never understood), Janish (ignoring his obvious weaknesses and dissing OCab,who has contributed consistantly), and many others. They traded Votto for nearly a year until he showed he is MVP caliber. Ramon Hernandez was fodder and many lusted after David Ross's OBP. Volquez was the savior and then he came back to earth and Chapman, who was going to start by July is now a reliever in Louisville. I just don't know. I think Dickerson will do what he always does. He's not spectacular and will play well, strike out a lot, make hay against bad pitching and end up with a .270 average with few RBI's and get a lot of hits that don't mean anything. Give me Drew Stubbs who can come through, make the tremendous play in the outfield, and has so much upside at a younger age. I expect more from Stubbs than Dickerson. But that's just me.
    If Dickerson hits .270, he'll have an OBP around .370 which will be an upgrade over anything we have in the OF right now with the exception of Heisey.

I really don't care about redszone favorites or upside right now. There's 2 months left in the season and we're in first place, give me the best players to win tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    If Dickerson hits .270, he'll have an OBP around .370 which will be an upgrade over anything we have in the OF right now with the exception of Heisey.

I really don't care about redszone favorites or upside right now. There's 2 months left in the season and we're in first place, give me the best players to win tomorrow.
    I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I'm not saying it cost the Reds the game, but, it might have. No way do you waste the best player in the NL to a IBB and sacrifice defense in that situation. Let Janish bat. if he gets out, you have Votto and Rolen to lead off the inning. Cairo has come through time and time again for this club, that in itself stacked the odds against him.
    There's no doubt that using Votto when he did was a bad move. It just was, there's not a lot to discuss.

Resident PED Expert

I've fought against this theory for the longest time but now I am inclined to agree with you. One thing is clear, no way do you pick up Gomes option. Heisey has to be the starting LF going into 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I've fought against this theory for the longest time but now I am inclined to agree with you. One thing is clear, no way do you pick up Gomes option. Heisey has to be the starting LF going into 2011.
    If you've paid attention to my posts since I joined redszone (and if you haven't I can't blame you), I'm ALWAYS pro young players and ALWAYS giving them the benefit of the doubt. Normally I'd just say leave Stubbs and Bruce in there and saying that Stubbs is a rookie and Bruce is 23.

But there's a time and a place for that, and this is not it. There's 2 months left to get into the playoffs, and then anything happen. Put the best players on the field everyday and lets go play ball. If that means you have an OF of Heisey/Dickerson/Bruce vsRHP and Gomes/Stubbs/Heisey vs LHP I'm all for it. You just have to go at this point.

At this point the Reds best hope is Heisey keeps playing well, Dickerson can hit .270/.370 and either Bruce or Gomes (or even Stubbs) gets hot. If that happens, we'll be in good shape. However we can't make the playoffs with Bruce/Gomes hitting where they are in the lineup and being terrible.
    Last edited by reds44; 08-04-2010 at 12:22 AM.

If you've paid attention to my posts since I joined redszone (and if you haven't I can't blame you), I'm ALWAYS pro young players and ALWAYS giving them the benefit of the doubt. Normally I'd just say leave Stubbs and Bruce in there and saying that Stubbs is a rookie and Bruce is 23.

But there's a time and a place for that, and this is not it. There's 2 months left to get into the playoffs, and then anything happen. Put the best players on the field everyday and lets go play ball. If that means you have an OF of Heisey/Dickerson/Bruce vsRHP and Gomes/Stubbs/Heisey vs LHP I'm all for it. You just have to go at this point.

At this point the Reds best hope is Heisey keeps playing well, Dickerson can hit .270/.370 and either Bruce or Gomes (or even Stubbs) gets hot. If that happens, we'll be in good shape. However we can't make the playoffs with Bruce/Gomes hitting where they are in the lineup and being terrible.
    Great post, 44. That's about where I am, but I reserve the right to let Jay go back south to regain his confidence.

I listend to the game at work tonight, for that reason there is no way in hell I'm going to go back and read this game thread. Hearing the opinion of Marty once and the same opinion repeated by Jeff there is absolutely no reason to read THAT opinion a third time.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

You guys can complain about Stubbs & Bruce & Gomes & Janish to your hearts content. But I'll say this. This team is flat out FUN to watch. They simply don't give up. I thought they were toast for sure when they got down 7-1. Scrappy.

If not for 2 plays, this game was ours. Missed grounder by Rolen, HBP of McCutchen that shook up Leake. Tough break, but impressive attempted comeback in the loss.

There's no doubt that using Votto when he did was a bad move. It just was, there's not a lot to discuss.
    I just don't understand this. Do you have a better chance at scoring a run with a) two on and a .300 hitter up or b)1 on and Paul Janish up or 0 on and Joey Votto up.

That's the two choices he was faced with. Would you really rather have Joey Votto batting with the bases empty than Miguel Cairo with two guys on?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Would you really rather have Joey Votto batting with the bases empty than Miguel Cairo with two guys on?
    Yes.

The Reds have submitted the Rolen play to MLB for review. If it is an error, all 6 runs that inning will be unearned. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    The Reds have submitted the Rolen play to MLB for review. If it is an error, all 6 runs that inning will be unearned. Interesting.
    And MLB sided with the Reds, all 6 runs now unearned.

Turn Off Ads?