Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cards Freese out for season

Cards Freese out for season

Didn't see this posted MLB Network just said David Freese Cardinal 3B is out for the season with his bad leg. So they must go with error prone Lopez

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cards Freese out for season

He wasnt that good even when he played.

only you would thing a .296 avg was bad

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    only you would thing a .296 avg was bad
    I hope I'm the only one who isnt judging a player based off a batting average.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Lopez has been stepping it up, defensively, from what I've seen.

The injury occurred in the final AAA game he was playing, if I'm remembering what the Cards broadcasters said about it.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    There is value in being league average, especially when being injured is keeping Skip Schumaker in the lineup. If Freese was healthy Lopez could move over and start at 2B and despite Lopez not being great defensively he's worlds better than Skip is. Not to mention that the depth the Cards now have at third is now Aaron Miles. Any way you slice it this is a huge blow to the Cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzle View Post
    There is value in being league average, especially when being injured is keeping Skip Schumaker in the lineup. If Freese was healthy Lopez could move over and start at 2B and despite Lopez not being great defensively he's worlds better than Skip is. Not to mention that the depth the Cards now have at third is no Aaron Miles. Any way you slice it this is a huge blow to the Cards.
    Of course he wasnt bad, but he probably was going to slip farther and farther down the OPS pipeline. He had huge luck when it came grounders. He hit 60% better than the league when it came to groundballs, and was basically league average on line drives and a little low on fly balls.
    Last edited by GIDP; 08-04-2010 at 01:14 AM.

This is a blow to the Cards. A month ago they were looking forward to Penny, Ludwick and Freeze coming back to stablize the team. Penny dropped a weight on his big toe (the captain of the toes) Then they inexplicably ship Ludwick for a sub par starter.

SS and 2nd are hitting a combined .220 and making errors at an alarming rate. Now they have Lopez and MILES stinking up 3rd. Garcia was lit up by the Stros for 5 ER for the 1st time this year.

The Card GM is going to have to make some kind of desperation move to fix the 3rd base issue. The idiot does not seem to know that he already has a good 3rd baseman on the team, playing 1st base where anybody else could cover.

I just don't see the Cards winning this div. Do You?

The idiot does not seem to know that he already has a good 3rd baseman on the team, playing 1st base where anybody else could cover.
    I was thinking the same thing when someone posited on which position Adam
    Dunn would play if the Cards somehow snagged him in a waiver deal. Of course the Prince would have to sign off on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    This is a blow to the Cards. A month ago they were looking forward to Penny, Ludwick and Freeze coming back to stablize the team. Penny dropped a weight on his big toe (the captain of the toes) Then they inexplicably ship Ludwick for a sub par starter.

SS and 2nd are hitting a combined .220 and making errors at an alarming rate. Now they have Lopez and MILES stinking up 3rd. Garcia was lit up by the Stros for 5 ER for the 1st time this year.

The Card GM is going to have to make some kind of desperation move to fix the 3rd base issue. The idiot does not seem to know that he already has a good 3rd baseman on the team, playing 1st base where anybody else could cover.

It's Aug 4th, Carpenter, Wainwright, Holliday and Albert are all still healthy, so yes I can see them winning the division.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    It's Aug 4th, Carpenter, Wainwright, Holliday and Albert are all still healthy, so yes I can see them winning the division.
    Only if the Reds tank it. They are a .500 team. In this Central tho, that's not that bad.

Rojo Johnson #99

Depth is always key going later into a season. This will negatively affect them.

Quote Originally Posted by Seņor Rojo View Post
    Depth is always key going later into a season. This will negatively affect them.
    For sure.

As a Cards fan, I would like to say that this was true and that it wouldn't hurt us much. But David coming back would have been huge. Felipe isn't a bad bat and although David would have been an upgrade there, where is really hurts is defensively.

There is value in being league average, especially when being injured is keeping Skip Schumaker in the lineup. If Freese was healthy Lopez could move over and start at 2B and despite Lopez not being great defensively he's worlds better than Skip is. Not to mention that the depth the Cards now have at third is now Aaron Miles. Any way you slice it this is a huge blow to the Cards.
    Totally agree, not only is it about Freese being in the lineup (and defending third) but it's also about how it effect the whole infield except for Albert. Schumaker can still stay at 2nd but he doesn't play against every pitcher so he doesn't get exposed, when he doesn't play is when the Cardinals will really suffer with Freese.

We are lucky that Jay is still performing great (he had a sweet swing and a good glove) and that Miles is actually batting pretty well, although he is the sub-par defender as usual.

Miles hasn't played much third at all and he won't unless something happens to Felipe. He is pretty much our second basemen whenever Skip has to sit because of pitching matchups. And Miles is doing about what you expect him to do (Well, as a Cardinal, not as a Cub) so a Cards fan can't really complain a whole lot because of the bad depth in the infield.

I could see a desperation move in the infield. Ryan is hitting very well the past few weeks and I think we have third base set, but with Felipe at third (and Miles having to get extended playtime) the defense and batting takes a big hit. I will be interested to see what he does. He is very aggressive just like Jocketty, although Walt hasn't acted as aggressively as he did in St Louis, maybe it is more of an organizational thing (from a financial/philosophical/ownership standpoint).

Despite this I still like the Westbrook trade. The problem is not with the outfield, it's with the left side of the infield. Westbrook didn't have a bad first start in St Louis although i think he can do better. And regardless, he is lightyears ahead of Suppan or Hawksworth. Hawksworth suckiness has really surprised me, he hits 98/99 consistently and has some nice movement but he throws too many pitches and leaves too many over the heart of the plate.

Only if the Reds tank it. They are a .500 team. In this Central tho, that's not that bad.
    Are the Reds currently tanking it? Because we've been going back and forth for a majority of the season... Losing Freese is a blow as I have said, but he's been injured for a long while now.

I agree with this, the Cardinals have a few guys on their pitching staff who will receive Cy Young votes (as well as a rookie of the year candidate), one very good batter and one generational batter. They are all healthy and heating up. Well, except for Garcia. He had an awful start last night and another bad one a few starts ago (although the ones inbetween were great). i think the innings may be catching up with the 23 year old. Lohse coming back will help things a lot. They said on the pre-game like a week ago that the Cardinals were 1-6 in Suppans' starts (although he won one that night...) and 2-8 in Hawkworth's.

Sorry for the long winded post

Maybe not all-star quality, but still a pretty good player. I belive he hurt the Reds with his bat a couple times earlier this year too. This isn't a major blow to the Cards, but it is a blow, IMO.

Turn Off Ads?