Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

Re: Official 2010 Reds Signed Draft Picks Thread

Nice to see LaMarre signed so quickly. Hopefully Grandal signs by July 1st and gets some playing time this season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Nice article on Devin Lohman...hopefully he signs quickly

http://santamariatimes.com/sports/ba...cc4c03286.html

Quote Originally Posted by Az. Reds Fan View Post
    Nice article on Devin Lohman...hopefully he signs quickly

http://santamariatimes.com/sports/ba...cc4c03286.html
    With Hamilton in Billings, Rojas in Dayton, and Gregorious in Lynchburg, I wonder where he'll play if/once he signs.
    Go BLUE!!!

HilliardRed

Its great to have Lamarre in the fold already now lets hope Grandal signs as soon as his college season is over. We need to get him accustomed to using a wooden bat!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    With Hamilton in Billings, Rojas in Dayton, and Gregorious in Lynchburg, I wonder where he'll play if/once he signs.
    Hard to say where he'll play, I'm sure there will be a lot of roster shuffling before the short season teams begin...with that being said, according to his bio, he also played some second base earlier in his college career.

With Hamilton in Billings

Are the Reds really going to start him in Billings?

He only "hit" .205/.253/.277 in the GCL last year. Is he really ready to play against 20-22 year olds in the Pioneer League?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    My guess: Hamilton stays at AZL; Lohman to Billings; Gregorius stays at Dayton; Rojas stays at Lynchburg.

Despite his low draft position, I wouldn't be surprised if Renken started in Dayton. He has three years as a starter in a good college program.

My guess: Hamilton stays at AZL; Lohman to Billings; Gregorius stays at Dayton; Rojas stays at Lynchburg.
    Gotta be.

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    Despite his low draft position, I wouldn't be surprised if Renken started in Dayton. He has three years as a starter in a good college program.
    Ala Serrano.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Baseball America's take on the Reds draft.

This could be the Reds' best draft in years. Yasmani Grandal (1) may not be Matt Weiters or Buster Posey, but he's an offensive catcher with solid receiving skills. Grandal is Miami's best catching prospect since Charles Johnson and is a value at No. 12 overall. Cincinnati got another first-round talent in speedy Michigan OF Ryan LaMarre (2), and a trio of prep pitchers with upside in RHPs Wes Mugarian (5), Drew Cisco (6) and Tony Amezcua (7). The grandson of a big league pitcher and coach, Cisco has the least fastball velocity but the most upside thanks to his moxie, command and bloodlines. OF Kyle Waldrop (12), a prep football player with good bat speed, and RHP Lucas O'Rear (13), a former Northern Iowa basketball player, are standout athletes who could be intriguing prospects if they sign.

Quote Originally Posted by New Fever View Post

This could be the Reds' best draft in years. Yasmani Grandal (1) may not be Matt Weiters or Buster Posey, but he's an offensive catcher with solid receiving skills. Grandal is Miami's best catching prospect since Charles Johnson and is a value at No. 12 overall. Cincinnati got another first-round talent in speedy Michigan OF Ryan LaMarre (2), and a trio of prep pitchers with upside in RHPs Wes Mugarian (5), Drew Cisco (6) and Tony Amezcua (7). The grandson of a big league pitcher and coach, Cisco has the least fastball velocity but the most upside thanks to his moxie, command and bloodlines. OF Kyle Waldrop (12), a prep football player with good bat speed, and RHP Lucas O'Rear (13), a former Northern Iowa basketball player, are standout athletes who could be intriguing prospects if they sign.
    Thanks for that New Fever.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by New Fever View Post

That's good to hear. Unfortunately, it just makes the Lohman pick even more of a head scratcher.

On another note, even though we already knew this, C. Trent confirmed the signing of LaMarre via Twitter.

ctrent #Reds officially sign No. 2 draft pick, U of Michigan OF Ryan LaMarre

Sure sounds like Muller from Iowa is ready to sign any day. Anyone see him play this year? Stats look impressive.

"We'll see what happens," he said. "But I think I'm ready to start my professional career."

Muller led the Hawkeyes in hitting (.381), runs (57), stolen bases (30), hits (83), total bases (119), slugging percentage (.546), on-base percentage (.460) and played errorless defense.
    http://hawkcentral.press-citizen.com...1/6090328/1053

John Sickels' take on the top 10:
    Cincinnati Reds Draft Analysis
    1) Yasmani Grandal, C, University of Miami-Florida: A very strong defender who took a big step forward with the bat this year, showing power and plate discipline. He probably won't need much time in the minors, and I think he was a terrific pick, though his price tag won't be cheap.

2) Ryan LaMarre, OF, University of Michigan: A fine athlete with excellent makeup, LaMarre can be inconsistent with the bat and struggled with a thumb/wrist injury this spring. He's a good pick in the second round, with loads of upside but some risk as well.

3) Devin Lohman, SS, Long Beach State University: Another in a long line of LBSU shortstops, Lohman has a decent glove at short but may end up at second base ultimately. He can hit for average and show some pop to the gaps, but isn't a huge power guy. In the end he might fit best as a strong utility infielder, but there is a non-zero chance he can hit enough to get beyond that.

4) Brodie Greene, 2B, Texas A&M: Another middle infielder from a strong college program, Greene is an easily-signable senior, runs well, has a strong throwing arm, showed some pop in college, and is very versatile with the glove. His work ethic is excellent and he has a good shot at being a solid utilityman.

5) Wes Mugarian, RHP, Florida HS: He'll need to be bought out of Alabama, but his 90-92 MPH fastball and good curve make it likely that the Reds will do so. I don't think they would have spent a fifth round pick otherwise.

6) Drew Cisco, RHP, South Carolina HS: Another signability question, Cisco is committed to Georgia. He is one of the most polished high school pitchers available and really knows how to pitch (his grandfather is longtime coach Galen Cisco), but average velocity kept him from truly elite status in the draft class.

7) Tony Amezcua, RHP, California HS: A projectability pick, Amezcua throws 90-92 and may pick up more zip as he matures. He will need to be bought out of Long Beach State.

8) David Vidal, 3B, Miami-Dade CC: Vidal is undersized at 5-10, but has a very powerful bat. Scouts aren't sure where he will fit defensively, as he doesn't run well enough to play outfield. His arm is good enough for third, but his hands might not be, and he's too short for a classic first baseman. He can hit though. He will need to be bought out of Florida International.

9) Tanner Robles, LHP, Oregon State University: He has an 88-90 MPH heater, but his breaking ball and changeup are inconsistent, and scouts don't like him as much as they did when he was a Utah high school player.

10) Kevin Arico, RHP, University of Virginia: Arico picked up 16 saves this year, but his stuff is mediocre for a right-hander. He projects as a middle reliever if he makes it.

FOUR OTHERS OF NOTE: 12-Kyle Waldrop, OF, Florida HS; 13-Lucas O'Rear, RHP, University of Northern Iowa; 18-Robert Maddox, OF, University of Ohio; 19-Josh Alexander, OF, Arizona HS:

COMMENT: I like the Grandal selection, and a lot of scouts think LaMarre will blossom as he gets further past the injury. Neither Lohman nor Greene will be stars, but both have a good shot at being major league contributors. The three high school pitchers would be great to add to the system if they can sign them: Reds fans should be happy if two of them come to terms, though they will all need substantial bonuses. Vidal's bat is intriguing, but the ninth and tenth round picks look like stretches. Overall I think this is a good class, with a nice mixture of talents and backgrounds...if they can get some of that high school pitching inked.

Turn Off Ads?