Turn Off Ads?
Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 37434445464748 LastLast

Thread: 8/31/10 - Beer Makers @ Reds - Chapman is here!

Re: 8/31/10 - Beer Makers @ Reds - Chapman is here!

Man, that/this is fun!

:giddy:

2. Turn Off Ads?

just got back.

that.

was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    This is what I mean. Brenneman, Chris, and all talking about in-depth analysis of Chapman's inning. What about the rest of the team? Didn't they do anything? All they can talk about is Chapman. I wonder where this will all go. I hope it doesn't derail anything.

And with that, speaking of spectacular plays, Votto simply with a gem.

They talked about the whole team .....they were spouting the virtues of the whole team during the game. One of the most exciting things this town has seen in years and you are freaking out over nothing. What could possibly be derailed besides the Cuban Secret Police kidnapping him back to Cuba.
    And oh......won't someone please think of the children!

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    They talked about the whole team .....they were spouting the virtues of the whole team during the game. One of the most exciting things this town has seen in years and you are freaking out over nothing. What could possibly be derailed besides the Cuban Secret Police kidnapping him back to Cuba.
    And oh......won't someone please think of the children!
    You're right. But earlier it was all about Chapman (and rightly so--it was the story of the night), but when they started analysis, who did they interview? Scotty. Then they interviewed Gomes. Then they had the presser, which was nice. I probably over-reacted, but I don't to see this chemistry messed up by a media hungry for a story. I saw this in Washington. Their whole focus was on Strasburg and when he was no longer there, the team just died. Hopefully, we have enough of a team to avoid this. The heroes of this team are too numerous to mention, but you and I both know the team has been dedicated to team all year and not to one player. Ask Joey Votto.

The fans were excited and I was afraid that this would morph into what I saw in Washington, with Jim Day declaring the phenomenon as "Chapmania," which in itself is a silly term. It didn't and now I am satisfied that the team will move on, win tomorrow for the sweep, and take 2 of 3 from St.Louis to move 8 games up.

I just don't want to screw this things up. This is too good.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    What could possibly be derailed besides the Cuban Secret Police kidnapping him back to Cuba.
    LOL. I just saw this. Now that gives the children something to worry about. Are you a Cuban spy?
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

You're right. But earlier it was all about Chapman (and rightly so--it was the story of the night), but when they started analysis, who did they interview? Scotty. Then they interviewed Gomes. Then they had the presser, which was nice. I probably over-reacted, but I don't to see this chemistry messed up by a media hungry for a story. I saw this in Washington. Their whole focus was on Strasburg and when he was no longer there, the team just died. Hopefully, we have enough of a team to avoid this. The heroes of this team are too numerous to mention, but you and I both know the team has been dedicated to team all year and not to one player. Ask Joey Votto.

The fans were excited and I was afraid that this would morph into what I saw in Washington, with Jim Day declaring the phenomenon as "Chapmania," which in itself is a silly term. It didn't and now I am satisfied that the team will move on, win tomorrow for the sweep, and take 2 of 3 from St.Louis to move 8 games up.

I just don't want to screw this things up. This is too good.
    Scott Rolen said he got goosebumps when Chapman came in. We can try all we want to contextualize it......but tha pretty much sums up the magnitude.
    Last edited by VR; 09-01-2010 at 12:19 AM.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

I am more worried about injuries....the ones that just keep nagging and now piling on.

This team has been playing in spite of them.....but there is still a month to go.
    I keep thinking their depth can only go so far. I was hoping Balentin would come up to help.

Not a Cuban spy....but I am from a South American country that did used to favor it's politics to the extreme left.

I just realized that I got tickets for a game a month ago and raffled them off to raise money for my bike ride for cancer research.

I just realized those tickets were for tonights game. FML.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Attack Cat!

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    No idea why Votto wanted to go to 2nd with that.. but hey I'll take that and I'll take the win

7 games up!!!
    I wondered the same thing, but then I realized it was clearly to set up the force play so Rolen could get the last out by flipping the ball underhand to second base.

Wait, what?!

Attendance was pathetic. I showed up at 6:30 to half-filled lots around the stadium, walked right up to the will-call kiosks.... and not a SOUL was in the area. Not one other person was at any of the will-call machines to pick up tickets. AT 6:30!!!!!!!!!

I know there are multiple reasons for this, but under 20,000 on a night like tonight is embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    I just realized that I got tickets for a game a month ago and raffled them off to raise money for my bike ride for cancer research.

I just realized those tickets were for tonights game. FML.
    see what happens when you try and do good things?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

All dyslexics must untie!

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    Scott Rolen said he got goosebumps when Chapman came in. We can try all we want to contextualize it......but tha pretty much sums up the magnitude.
    The biggest anticipatory buzz for a pitcher at a home game in Cincy since Rijo made his comeback

Agree with the earlier comments re: Rolen. The Red's renaissance can be traced back to that deal 13 months ago. (I guess the Reds will be OK without that young starting pitcher they sent to Toronto for Scott--what was his name, again?) And it's so nice to see a grounder hit to 3b and not wonder if EdE's throw is going to be on target or in the dugout.

Welsh's comment re: the final 2 plays being "like the Globetrotters" was spot on. These are the kind of risks that can be taken with a 4 run lead in the 9th and a 6 game lead in the division. It gives the players a chance to relax and try to do something "magical" instead of taking the sure out
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Attendance was pathetic. I showed up at 6:30 to half-filled lots around the stadium, walked right up to the will-call kiosks.... and not a SOUL was in the area. Not one other person was at any of the will-call machines to pick up tickets. AT 6:30!!!!!!!!!

I know there are multiple reasons for this, but under 20,000 on a night like tonight is embarrassing.
    A week night, kids back in school, and school athletics keeping parents busy. It's not just occurring in Cincy.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Yes, but not in a mean way. This team has been about team this year and I want it to stay that way. And I would have preferred that he remain a startetr because that is where he will do us the most good. That said, he has all the tools to dominate at this level. I just hate to see so much adoration over a kid who has faced three batters in his career. I saw this in Washington and didn't like it and don't like it here. Sorry, I'll keep quiet and not mention it again.
    I understand how you feel, I'm just glad the Reds fans have ONE MORE THING to cheer about.

However, I will admit to being put off by the tossing out the first ball thing. They did it with Strasberg too and it bugged me. It's like they're crowning the kid for Cy Young & the HoF before he throws a pitch.

But that aside....that was a joy to watch. :O)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    A week night, kids back in school, and school athletics keeping parents busy. It's not just occurring in Cincy.
    It's still pathetic from a town that likes to term itself a "baseball town."

This is the first good team to suit up in this city in over a decade. There's a very real chance that this will be the first team to make the actual post-season since 1995. One only needs to ask the Rockies or the Indians fans to know that next season isn't guaranteed to anyone when you're running a young, upstart squad.

At some point, the excuse making needs to stop. It's a school night? Well, it won't kill any kid to show up tired once on a Wednesday if the trade off is seeing the first good team in his/her lifetime. Economy is bad? Plenty of tickets are available to this team between $5-$10 per seat -- split $2 parking with someone and buy a $5 subway sandwich on your way into the game.

I'm sick of hearing it. Get to the games. You've had plenty of excuses for the last 15 years, and this might be your only chance for the next 15 to experience meaningful baseball.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Turn Off Ads?