Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/8- Reds @ Rockies

Re: 9/8- Reds @ Rockies

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    It's a major advantage getting to build a team to play 81 games in that environment.

The Rockies are terrible on the road and great at home for a reason. You don't hit .301 as a team at home and .228 on the road without that being a factor.
    I'm not so sure the team is built too much to the park. They've added a few pitchers (like Cook) with good sinkers to induce grounders, and they've certainly emphasized speed in the outfield, but most of these things don't have anything to do with how they hit.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Jon Miller of the giants announcing crew claims that the balls the Rockies hit are not stored in a humidor like the one's road team gets.
    Ya know, I've always wondered about that myself. It wouldn't surprise me even a little bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Olivo frames the ball better than anyone I have seen this year. He snaps the ball into the zone.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    Ya know, I've always wondered about that myself. It wouldn't surprise me even a little bit.
    This generations's version of the air conditioning at the Metrodome?

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I'm convinced that umps give a home field advantage with their calls also. Balls and Strikes. REDS benefit from it also at GABP.
    Saw that on Heisey there, and the walk to Cargo last inning.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    The defense hasn't helped tonight's pitcher much. Besides, I think the pitchers might like having a lineup that has at least some chance to score more than 3 runs.
    The Reds would have to trade for a bunch of strike out pitchers if you plan on ditching the defense for the chance to score more runs.

Any day that goes off the schedule in which we don't lose any ground on the Cardinals is a good day, rememeber that.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Even the Pirates are almost .500 at home. Sorry, but that team's not built to win anywhere.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Any day that goes off the schedule in which we don't lose any ground on the Cardinals is a good day, rememeber that.
    It's the truth. This thread has been pretty positive considering what is going down on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I'm not so sure the team is built too much to the park. They've added a few pitchers (like Cook) with good sinkers to induce grounders, and they've certainly emphasized speed in the outfield, but most of these things don't have anything to do with how they hit.
    But you learn to play to the dimensions. If you model your swing to just get the bat on the ball instead of trying to drive it, maybe that helps.

The other thing is that pitching is much more difficult there. From what I have read, it just wrecks you pitching there if you aren't used to it.

It's why the Broncos have been a historically tough team to beat at home.

Jon Miller of the giants announcing crew claims that the balls the Rockies hit are not stored in a humidor like the one's road team gets.
    Well that would be something Major League Baseball should look into. I doubt the veracity of that allegation, though, because the baseballs are coming from the same place once the game starts. Unless they're carefully selecting replacements each inning to give to the umpire, which even then is not guaranteed of being used when expected, I just don't think it's likely for that to work.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I didn't realize Cook had such good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    But you learn to play to the dimensions. If you model your swing to just get the bat on the ball instead of trying to drive it, maybe that helps.

The other thing is that pitching is much more difficult there. From what I have read, it just wrecks you pitching there if you aren't used to it.

It's why the Broncos have been a historically tough team to beat at home.
    When you're hitting, it's see the ball and hit the ball. You swing according to the pitch and location but I'm sorry, guys aren't able to tailor swings to the park. That just isn't feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by alloverjr View Post
    I didn't realize Cook had such good stuff.
    Honestly the guy stinks. The Reds just have had some bad luck and Phillips killed a potentially huge inning.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

MLB and its umps wants the fans to go home happy if possible. It's a conspiracy, I'm telling ya.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?