Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233 LastLast

Thread: 9-9 Reds@Rockies, can we snap this skid please?

Re: 9-9 Reds@Rockies, can we snap this skid please?

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    That's based on a computer model of what a high leverage situation is.

Besides, many of the high leverage situations that Masset pitches out of, are of his own doing.

And that really isn't much better than he does normally.

A high leverage pitcher is one whom I have confidence in to bring into a situation where you need a K, pop up or DP to survive. If I am the manager, Masset is not a guy I would have confidence in, in those situations. Letting Pierce steal home is a prefect example of how he does not handle pressure well.
    No, it's a loose description of what you're asking for: production with a lead of a few runs late in the game. It's not a computer model, it's set parameters of the type of situations you're referring.

50-some innings of high leverage (which BRef defines by the upper 20% of late & close situations) dictate that apparently Masset thrives in the situations you claim he doesn't.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Tornon View Post
    I think that's where things will start getting real if anyone here thinks that the Reds will continue to lose to these teams just because they have to this point.
    Are you watching the same team I am? They have stunk against good teams. What makes you think that's going to be any different?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Are you watching the same team I am? They have stunk against good teams. What makes you think that's going to be any different?
    I just copied/pasted the argument you just used. Have you been watching the same team I have against less than stellar teams? Why would you think they're going to play any different?

Quote Originally Posted by Tornon View Post
    I just copied/pasted the argument you just used. Have you been watching the same team I have against less than stellar teams? Why would you think they're going to play any different?
    Bad teams manage to play differently in September. I don't take anyone for granted. I'm not saying the Reds won't continue to win... but everyone here is just assuming something that isn't safe to assume.

If everyone is thinking it's OK for the Reds to continue to give an epic fail against good teams just because the bad teams are lurking around the corner, that's a pretty risky belief that they will automatically continue to win at the pace they were on against those teams.

The Reds are probably due for a couple of lost series against teams like the Pirates. What then? Suddenly they could find themselves a few games ahead of the Cardinals.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Even if they stink against good teams, I'm not going to decline a playoff invitation.

And there's not a lot we can do about it now.

No, it's a loose description of what you're asking for: production with a lead of a few runs late in the game. It's not a computer model, it's set parameters of the type of situations you're referring.

50-some innings of high leverage (which BRef defines by the upper 20% of late & close situations) dictate that apparently Masset thrives in the situations you claim he doesn't.
    What you just defined, is a computer model. A computer decides if the situation matches a set of parameters that is defined by a computer program. That is why it could include a runner on third, with two outs in a one run game in the 7th and the SS up, but not include runner on first, two outs, and Pujols up in the 7th of a one run game. Or no one on, no outs, but Pujols, Holiday and Rasmus up in the 7th of a one run game.

It's impossible for a computer to look at a box score and decide what are high leverage situations and what aren't with any real accuracy.

Anyway, Masset does not consistently handle pressure well. Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't. To me, he is not a high leverage arm. He is not someone I trust when I need to keep the other team from scoring, no matter the situation.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

What a gut wrenching way to lose.

But losing streaks are good for the soul.

They help to remind me that this is entertainment and not real life. It is fun to follow a sports team, esp. through a race to the playoffs, but I cannot let that interfere with real life. I'm gonna have a good evening and watch the boys fight til the end again tomorrow.

Thus ends this 10 game span at 4-6. Not stellar, but not falling off a cliff either.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

What you just defined, is a computer model. A computer decides if the situation matches a set of parameters that is defined by a computer program. That is why it could include a runner on third, with two outs in a one run game in the 7th and the SS up, but not include runner on first, two outs, and Pujols up in the 7th of a one run game. Or no one on, no outs, but Pujols, Holiday and Rasmus up in the 7th of a one run game.

It's impossible for a computer to look at a box score and decide what are high leverage situations and what aren't with any real accuracy.

Anyway, Masset does not consistently handle pressure well. Sometimes he does, sometimes he doesn't. To me, he is not a high leverage arm. He is not someone I trust when I need to keep the other team from scoring, no matter the situation.
    Who care's if it's a computer picking them out... the parameters are set by humans, not computers. We're tellling the computers what the situations to look for are.

How does that make those situations any less high-leverage? Are you now trying to change the argument to say close games (within a few runs) late are not high leverage just because the computer model is able to calculate them? Come on... that's weak.

Bad teams manage to play differently in September. I don't take anyone for granted. I'm not saying the Reds won't continue to win... but everyone here is just assuming something that isn't safe to assume.

If everyone is thinking it's OK for the Reds to continue to give an epic fail against good teams just because the bad teams are lurking around the corner, that's a pretty risky belief that they will automatically continue to win at the pace they were on against those teams.

The Reds are probably due for a couple of lost series against teams like the Pirates. What then? Suddenly they could find themselves a few games ahead of the Cardinals.

I don't think it's OK to lose to be an epic fail against good teams, but guess what.. it happened. All we can do now is hope they turn it around against the teams they're about to play. It's no fun following baseball for me if there is no silver lining. Hope that they beat the bad teams, hope that they make the playoffs, hope that they turn it around in a short series if they can make the playoffs. I have hope

Anything can happen. I'm not sure why people are so smug to think the Reds won't finish .500 and the Cards won't go off. It's like they've never watched sports before. Unreal.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

I've had a real hard time reading all the crowning the local press has done for the Reds.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    Anything can happen. I'm not sure why people are so smug to think the Reds won't finish .500 and the Cards won't go off. It's like they've never watched sports before. Unreal.
    Are you thinking the Reds will falter that much? Really?

It would indeed be an epic fail. One for the ages.

That steal of home inspired my first avatar...big Nick Massett fan by the way...the deer in the headlights look was classic.

Johnny Bench was a great slider hitter. He probably hit more homers off of sliders than fastballs. The one he hit to win the 1972 NLCS was off of a slider. But he's the only one I know of.
    You have to be kidding. I"ve seen Johnny clobber many a fastball.

Wrong thread ... oops.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?