Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 51112131415

Thread: 9/12 - Reds vs Pirates -- Sweep Time! No Bruce/Rolen

Re: 9/12 - Reds vs Pirates -- Sweep Time! No Bruce/Rolen

If they want to give themselves a chance they got to switch closers. You gotta be a little bit bold to get it done and you have a whole year of sample size to know that CoCo is done as a closer. He's still a fine middle releiver that you could use in the 5th or 6th inning, but he's not got even closer stuff. I'd go with ABC - anyone but CoCo.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Why? If it's not your pitch, why swing at something that you don't like? You are given three strikes. Nothing wrong with using a few of them if you don't like them.
    If you are Tony Gwynn, I agree. If you are a strikeout machine....you better be able to hit strikes.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    If you are Tony Gwynn, I agree. If you are a strikeout machine....you better be able to hit strikes.
    Strikes are strikes. They all count the same. I'd rather he put something in play he's comfortable hitting than just going up there swinging for the sake of not letting a fringe pitch go by. We've seen him going up there hacking on the first pitch a lot lately just as much as his strikeouts and that hasn't gotten him any additional success.

With two strikes, you lose the luxury of being picky. But until then, there's nothing wrong with being patient and not swinging at something unfavorable to hit.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

The closer problem that the Reds have is correctable by moving Chapman up a spot. What is concerning to me is the offense and the fact that since Bruce took batting practice we have heard next to nothing about his return to the line up. Without another bat to go with Votto this team is going to have rough days ahead.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    The closer problem that the Reds have is correctable by moving Chapman up a spot. What is concerning to me is the offense and the fact that since Bruce took batting practice we have heard next to nothing about his return to the line up. Without another bat to go with Votto this team is going to have rough days ahead.
    According to the TV broadcast maybe Wednesday. Since we've been hearing this for a week ( maybe in a few days) it's highly likely that they've no real idea when. It's possible he could go before the end of the Dbacks series or it could be October. The problem is that their offense stinks right now. Would Bruce help. Probably. Would a fresher Rolen help. Yep. How about a leadoff guy who gets on base here and there. Even Votto is slumping a bit as I think he had only 2 hits in the series although did draw some walks and a phantom hbp. Too many people coming back to their career norms towards the end of the year and the effect is not pretty. And how does Phillips console Cordero in the dugout as was caught on TV? "Hey, you really suck, but not as bad as me right now!"

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

It's a Sunday Special, I get it. You risk losing by not putting your best team on the field. The payoff is the scrubs are fresh and the regulars get a blow. OK.

But then, stick with it! Don't let your starter throw 120 pitchers. Don't bring your closer in for the fourth game in row. You have a bullpen full of eager kids. Give them the ball!

Now, the game is lost, your starter has pitched more than warranted and your closer is unavailable for the next game.

/rant
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    No, this is a time to remember that the Reds were one strike away from a win and a sweep, and Cordero grooved a pitch.

This game was won. Cordero blew it with his second bad outing in three games.
    He blew it on a horrible pitch. Ahead 1-2 with two outs he throws a breaking pitch "spinner" that just hangs right in the heart of the plate. I'm guessing most major league pitchers could have hit that pitch for a game winner. That's unacceptable from a high priced closer

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    He blew it on a horrible pitch. Ahead 1-2 with two outs he throws a breaking pitch "spinner" that just hangs right in the heart of the plate. I'm guessing most major league pitchers could have hit that pitch for a game winner. That's unacceptable from a high priced closer
    +1

Take his rising BB/9 and his decreasing K/9, then combine it with a $12,000,000/year salary, and it's most definitely unacceptable.

Among closers, he's got 36 saves, 7th best in baseball, but his Save % is 81%...hardly stellar. His K/BB ratio is the worst in baseball, his WHIP is 4th worst (he's a few hundredths of a percentage point away from 2nd worst) with a .248 BA. His ERA is an astronomical 4.04. That's not worth $12 million a year.

Turn Off Ads?